Devo 10 update from 3.0.0 to 4.0.1, model conf....

More
12 Nov 2014 09:31 #26363 by djsmeegy
Hi guys, I have DEVO 10 and deviation 3.0.0 installed.
So I have there all my models programmed. I'm wondering, if I install the 4.0.1 would be the problem with model configuration?
Have anybody of you had problem with that?
Also what about the range of the DEVO 10 with new deviation, is it better or how is your max range?
I read something about range increase with patch antenna - what is it?
And do you think, the Devo 10 is enough for expensive birds such as 700L? Or should I upgrade for Devo 12? is it more reliable?
Thank for your advices, I know there is quite more questions :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2014 10:11 #26365 by sbstnp
You should make a backup of you models folder before upgrading, just to be on the safe side.

I fly everything with my Devo 10, been using it for about 2 years now and no issue that weren't my fault :) (but, my most expensive aircraft is only $350 or so)

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
12 Nov 2014 10:24 #26366 by djsmeegy
Thank you for replying.
I'm wondering also due to my friend and his friend used to have Devo 10 (with deviation fw) but they had an accident. TX stopped transmitting suddenly during flight, so the helicopters have been smashed :(
Since that accident, they stopped to use Devo.

I have mine for 1 yaer and something w/o any issues..
Now I have the most valued heli T-REX 450L, but in future I'd like to buy 700L, so that's why I'm asking.

More
12 Nov 2014 17:56 - 12 Nov 2014 17:59 #26369 by sbstnp
Well, I don't anyone will vouch for reliability or performance. If you're gonna fly a $2000 bird, fly it with $1000 worth of radio. That's my take on this matter.

Other than that, for me my Devo 10 has been extremely fit for purpose and I won't cry if I smash $50 worth of a quadcopter.

If you take care of your radio properly (don't drop it, if you take it apart check eveyrything, use proper antennas, use proper receivers and optimal antenna placement, etc) it should serve you well.

From my experience, if a piece of electronics doesn't break in the first month, then it won't break for years to come. It's much more likely you dumb thumb it than have the radio fail. I've had a quad fly away once, but even then it was my double fault - plugged out the antenna pigtail and haven't set a failsafe on the quad - I watched it disappear in the sky.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 12 Nov 2014 17:59 by sbstnp.

More
13 Nov 2014 00:48 #26376 by mikemacwillie
Replied by mikemacwillie on topic Devo 10 update from 3.0.0 to 4.0.1, model conf....
Radio 'brownouts' (As most people seem to call them) happen with Spektrum/whatever too. It seems a bit silly to blame Deviation and stop using it entirely.

More
13 Nov 2014 04:51 #26380 by mwm
Deviation is doesn't merely make your Tx more flexible, it likely improves the quality as well.

Coverity does regular studies of software quality. The look at hundreds of millions of lines of open source and proprietary code, and publish defect rates (per 1000 lines) between the two. For small projects - and deviationTx at < 200,000 lines is a small project - Open Source projects have had lower defect rates than proprietary ones. The 2013 study - the last one published - open source projects had lower defect rates than proprietary projects for all project sizes.

This doesn't mean that deviationTx definitely has a lower defect rate than Spektrum or Futaba or any other specific Tx brand. I don't believe any of them were included in the study. It does mean that open source methodologies generally produce projects with fewer defects, so we can expect that deviationTx will have fewer bugs than them. But we can't say for sure until someone tests things.

Someone with the access to them could try coverity's tools on deviationTx (and hopefully file an appropriate issue on github!), but without access to the Spektrum et. al. code, that won't provide a basis for comparison.

However, that last bit right there is why I trust a radio running deviationTx (or OpenTx) more than those running proprietary software. That the source is open means the process is also open. The issues list on github is open, so I can see both what kind of issues people are having, and how the developers are responding. While I can a bit of the former for any Tx by checking the forums, I generally have no idea how proprietary vendors will respond until their PR department decides to publish a press release - assuming they do.

This doesn't help if you have cheap hardware, but the "first month" rule applies to hardware, not software. But open source software will tend to warp the cost/reliability curve some if the vendor takes advantage of it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
13 Nov 2014 07:46 - 13 Nov 2014 08:21 #26383 by djsmeegy
I also think, it wasn't so good idea to stop using deviation at all.
From my point of view, it's more powerfull than the spektrum radio - and I mean this by non-possibility to switch protocols, play with radio what ever you want to, etc.. Also I can't fully imagine, how really powerful deviation is (I am not programmer and Im like and semi-advanced user :) )

The big advantage is (also mwm mentioned), that deviation is open source and the development is still ongoing and lots of people is using it, making feedback, etc = that is really great!

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions and opinions.

This weekend Im gonna do the update and will see.

I think I will use the DEVO 10 and will try the range test with my birds, which I have now also will do test with more than one spektrum sat.

The 700L I'll probably buy next yr in the summer and if Devo 10 will not fail I will use it.

Also I found the mod how to increase range for Devo. (I'm not gonna to do this right now, but maybe in future, if the range will be not enough).
Here's the link devo mod .

//edit
Maybe in future I will buy Devo 12s :)
Last edit: 13 Nov 2014 08:21 by djsmeegy.

More
14 Nov 2014 18:39 #26407 by mwm
If you're going to spend 12S money, you might consider the Taranis instead of the 12S. I know I would. It uses OpenTx instead of deviationTx, but it's still open source, and has a larger user base. From what I've heard, the build quality is also better.

Plusses are a module bay to add radio modules instead of modding the Tx, a more modern design/feature list, and the ability to run both modules at once, so you get more channels. It's got the one feature I really want on my 10: voice alerts!

Minuses are not having quite as many controls, and that the modules aren't as tightly integrated into the radio, so the firmware doesn't have as good a control as you'd want. But for the cost of the 12, I could buy a taranis, and the modules for everything I'm flying now, and have some left over.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
15 Nov 2014 05:29 #26411 by mikemacwillie
Replied by mikemacwillie on topic Devo 10 update from 3.0.0 to 4.0.1, model conf....
I've considered the same thing. I really do love my 12S though.. It's definitely nice not having to swap modules. The mixer in Deviation is much more intuitive to me as well.

More
28 Nov 2014 18:39 #26621 by kreidler

djsmeegy wrote: Also I found the mod how to increase range for Devo. (I'm not gonna to do this right now, but maybe in future, if the range will be not enough).
Here's the link devo mod .

This range extension if for Devo 7e ONLY. All other Devo's with Deviation firmware do have more TX power.

djsmeegy wrote: Hi guys, I have DEVO 10 and deviation 3.0.0 installed.
So I have there all my models programmed. I'm wondering, if I install the 4.0.1 would be the problem with model configuration?

You could get some issues with the main page layout due to completely different programming. There are some threads how to solve these problems. Normally by replacing the section in the model.ini.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds