RSSI for FPV options?

More
30 Jan 2015 18:22 - 30 Jan 2015 19:53 #28252 by masterpj555
RSSI for FPV options? was created by masterpj555
I have looked on the forum earlier for RSSI options regarding the DEVO 10 or any of the DEVO recievers.

I read that the RX1002 reciever (I have that one) supports only buffered RSSI and it would need a reprogrammed Rx. Is there any thirdt party reciever that works with deviationtx that does allow for modification to get RSSI? I don't mind soldering but it would be really useful combined with an FPV system as in my case at least the signal strength of my FPV transmitter is likely to be better then my RC Tx

Would be cool to see what options there are. The only thing I know of is the walkera telemetry module which also doesn't provide signal strength and adds another antenna to your Rc plane/quadcopter (and sadly it doesn't provide signal strength either). I won't be really looking at the screen of my transmitter for the majority even if it was there though.

It's weird.. why did walkera not include such a crucial option?
Last edit: 30 Jan 2015 19:53 by masterpj555.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2015 22:22 #28274 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic RSSI for FPV options?
The Spektrum DSM Rx's along with the appropriate telemetry modules provide RSSI data. You do need an Rx that has a data port, though. The OrangeRx clones with data ports also work. I haven't tried the LemonRx clones, but would be surprised if they didn't work, assuming they have a data port.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
31 Jan 2015 00:36 - 31 Jan 2015 12:49 #28279 by masterpj555
Replied by masterpj555 on topic RSSI for FPV options?
I was going to feed the RSSI in my OSD but I believe sometimes you need to do some low pass filtering to get the whole stuff to work.
E-OSD from hobbiking or very simple OSD from hobbyking?

Not sure what transmitter from orangeRX will work minus their most expensive 9channel one. On a rcgroups topic people submit their pcbs and people point out pins where you can tap out the RSSI from is really large and everything is scattered around hundreds of pages. I'd love to use the OrangeRX module if possible but no idea what models there are to choose.

It would be so awsome if the orangeRX R615X could be used.. that one is dirt cheap :)
Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 12:49 by masterpj555.

More
31 Jan 2015 16:45 #28289 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic RSSI for FPV options?

masterpj555 wrote:
It would be so awsome if the orangeRX R615X could be used.. that one is dirt cheap :)

No way! Get a Frsky D4R-II.(....and a CC2500 ;) )

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
31 Jan 2015 18:33 #28293 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic RSSI for FPV options?
The R615X is indeed dirt cheap. But it also has issues with almost every Tx you can pick. Slow reboots, poor connections, etc.

I agree with aMax - the FrSky D4R-II + CC2500 is a great choice. Except the telemetry code hasn't made any of the available nightlies yet. Makes me a bit leery of suggesting it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
31 Jan 2015 19:15 #28295 by masterpj555
I'm tempted to get it. However would the telemetry addition to this unit not require something on the transmitter end to recieve it as well? is the communication bi-directional??

4 channels isn't a lot but just about enough for both a plane with all controls or a quad, sadly no extras.

So far have had no problems with my orangeRX. Instant bind on my Devo 10 using DSMX
But yeah not expecting a lot for the price.. only for cheap scratch builds in deserted/non crowded area where a crash isn't likely to hit someone.

More
31 Jan 2015 19:53 - 31 Jan 2015 19:55 #28296 by aMax
D4R-II is in CPPM mode a full rx.

The R615X not...

Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 19:55 by aMax.

More
31 Jan 2015 20:15 #28297 by aMax

masterpj555 wrote: I'm tempted to get it. However would the telemetry addition to this unit not require something on the transmitter end to recieve it as well? is the communication bi-directional??

Get a DHT module, build a case, plug it into Devo trainer port, switch to
PPM and off you go with a real FrSky system.

More
31 Jan 2015 20:21 - 31 Jan 2015 20:30 #28298 by masterpj555

aMax wrote:

masterpj555 wrote: I'm tempted to get it. However would the telemetry addition to this unit not require something on the transmitter end to recieve it as well? is the communication bi-directional??

Get a DHT module, build a case, plug it into Devo trainer port, switch to
PPM and off you go with a real FrSky system.

It's tempting but I want to use the trainer port for headtracking or other communication. It's a shame devo only supports either PPM in or out.

What is the actual benefit of having a real frysky system though? better signal quality? better range? or purely for the telemetry?
Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 20:30 by masterpj555.

More
31 Jan 2015 23:38 - 31 Jan 2015 23:39 #28305 by aMax
Depends on what you need and you are able to build.

Working protocol ( little issues),telemetry, good range,....
If you are building up a module for Devo, take care, the nice looking CC2500(U/FL) has only 17dBm while the skyartec claimes to have 23dBm.

If your want it all, you better go with a Taranis.

The story... ;)
Myself have two elder Futabas, one equipped with a DHT and a moded Devo7e.
Nevertheless, considering what the costs of a DHT and FLD-02 and and a CC2500
for the 7e are, I can get over it having only 8CH.

Starting last year into this hobby for the third time ( before last pause only planes/meth.) it took four month to make up a decision what system to take.
The FC18 Plus was not up to date and a system change had to be made.
Should be open source not a closed system I already had.

Looking at a 9xR (with mods), Taranis, Devo(with mods), I took the Devo, but the smallest one, just to see how it works.
And I am happy with this.
If the suit becomes too tight, the Taranis would be the next step
(hoping PB gets his universal multimodule ready one day).
But who knows, this is far future.

In your position you should collect your needs and the proper information on these, sometimes you will have to make a compromise.

Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 23:39 by aMax.

More
01 Feb 2015 00:16 #28308 by masterpj555
I bought the devo 10 because it was recommended here. I originally intended to go with the Devo 7e. I haven't put this unit to a lot of use yet.. so the taranis is far superior and supports more protocols?

Because my impression was that hte big benefit of the devo was that it has such an ensanely wide support for protocols.

How many PPM in/out does the taranis have?

and yeah there should be always a compromise. I eventually want to work my way up on long distance fpv but prefer to have enough channels and open source as well so that things can be modded.

More
01 Feb 2015 02:08 - 01 Feb 2015 02:19 #28309 by aMax

masterpj555 wrote: I bought the devo 10 because it was recommended here. I originally intended to go with the Devo 7e. I haven't put this unit to a lot of use yet.. so the taranis is far superior and supports more protocols?

Because my impression was that hte big benefit of the devo was that it has such an ensanely wide support for protocols.

How many PPM in/out does the taranis have?

Frsky 16CH out...(module build in/one at the module port possible), DSM2/DSMX, Open LRS, UHF LRS...all with additional modules.
The in_port should be the trainer port.

You better ask this here.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176328

or just read this to get an impression.
www.alofthobbies.com/files/Taranis_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

The Devo is nice but mostly taken for most diverse RCtoys.
It would be nice if any WK rx would support CPPM for FC, read about one but do not find the posting anymore.

Last edit: 01 Feb 2015 02:19 by aMax.

More
01 Feb 2015 02:24 - 01 Feb 2015 02:26 #28310 by masterpj555
that is nice.
So wait the trainer port remains free when you plug in a module in there?

You can use the modules with the devo10 as well I believe but you need to wire a trainer cable to the unit and power it externaly *I think* and strap the module to the back yourself so you lose the trainer port until you unplug the module.

The trainer port is interesting to me because of external arduino controls (I love the arduino). I wonder if I can also access source code of the tiranis :) Would be interesting for some project I have to add a selection meno on the Tx
Last edit: 01 Feb 2015 02:26 by masterpj555.

More
02 Feb 2015 13:55 #28357 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic RSSI for FPV options?
The good thing about deviation is that it is full digital Transmission, so it generates directly the RF stream which goes over the air.

Most TX first generates digitally a ppm signal, which is than sent to the tx module, there it is decoded to generate the rf stream.

The old way of PPM conversion, does not give the direct and locked in feel as when using Deviation.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds