Antenna for "recommended" NRF24L01 module (Devo 7e

More
18 Feb 2015 07:16 - 18 Feb 2015 07:16 #28797 by Gerhard_H
I have a working module in my Devo 7e, but not the "recommended" one (antenna printed on the board). Since all these modules are cheap I purchased some of the right ones, but without antenna (don't know why . . .)
But as far as I can see it shouldn't be a problem to solder an antenna wire, the soldering point is shown on the picture.
Question : What do you people think ? How long has the wire to be ?
TIA
Gerhard
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 07:16 by Gerhard_H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2015 07:29 #28799 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Antenna for "recommended" NRF24L01 module (Devo 7e
What you've drawn the arrow to is only 1/2 of the antenna connection, it has a + and a -, aka the center pin and the shield. The arrow you've pointed out is the center pin, the body of the connector is the shield. You can solder a piece of antenna wire if you don't have one with that style connector but for best performance it should be shielded and make both connections, don't just use a single wire whip if you can help it.

You can often find those exact antenna on old 2.4ghz wireless networking gear and you can find that mini-coax antenna wire in almost anything that uses any type of wireless comms.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
18 Feb 2015 08:15 - 18 Feb 2015 08:16 #28802 by robca
Why solder when you can simply use one of these antennas www.goodluckbuy.com/150mm-frsky-2-4g-rec...compatible-2pcs.html ?

You can't find a much cheaper 2.4G antenna anyway, and that one (or similar ones on eBay) will just snap on

Or, if you prefer, you can use something like this www.ebay.com/itm/1x-2-4G-2-4GHZ-PCB-Inte...w-BK39-/251748634777 , both styles work just fine (the eBay preview doesn't work for me: ebay.com/itm/1x-2-4G-2-4GHZ-PCB-Internal-Antenna-To-U-fl-IPX-Connector-10cm-Cable-new-BK39-/251748634777)
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 08:16 by robca.

More
19 Feb 2015 06:59 #28879 by Gerhard_H
Thanks a lot for reply
@Cereal_Killer
I had checked the solder points with an instrument therefore I do know where the hot spot is :-)
@robka
Of course buying an antenna isn't an issue, just wanted to know.
Generally the radio is used for tiny helicopters so the range of the radio doesn't matter.

Maybe : The unit needs a capacitive load (long shielding of the antenna) for best results.

More
19 Feb 2015 13:49 #28887 by ohaya
I thought that it wasn't a good thing to use these modules without an antenna attached? I've seen that warning like on MassiveRC's page:

www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/331-4g-n...ireless-module-.html
Note: NEVER power on a video transmitter\receiver without the antenna installed.  You will burn out the module if you do and will void your warranty.

I was just wondering....

Jim

More
19 Feb 2015 14:19 #28890 by Gerhard_H

ohaya wrote: . . . it wasn't a good thing to use these modules without an antenna attached? . . .

"These" modules have the antenna printed on the board. What they don't have is an amplifier.

More
19 Feb 2015 14:22 #28891 by ohaya

Gerhard_H wrote:

ohaya wrote: . . . it wasn't a good thing to use these modules without an antenna attached? . . .

"These" modules have the antenna printed on the board. What they don't have is an amplifier.

Ok, thanks. Maybe I was mixing up reading the posts. I thought the one that was linked was one with a PA and an SMA antenna connector.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds