Does 3-way switches make sense on Devo 7e

More
18 Feb 2015 07:36 #28800 by Gerhard_H
I have successfully done the switch mod on my Devo 7e and have taken two 3-way switches (on-off-on), simply because other peopüle did also.
Now I am asking wether this makes sense, as far as I know there had been found two additional (unused) switches on the Devo 7e board. Two times on-off. Right ? Therefore 2 simple on-off switches should do. Right ?
TIA
Gerhard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2015 08:11 #28801 by robca
Replied by robca on topic Does 3-way switches make sense on Devo 7e
The 3 way switch makes a lot of sense, I'm not sure I understand your question. With a 3 way switch you can do things you can't do with a on/off switch. Since you can only add two additional switches all in all to a Devo 7E, you might as well add the 3 way switches. Worst case, you can use a 3 way switch exactly like a on/off switch. But it gives you extra flexibility to have 3 way switches

And, in case you are asking if the Devo 7E can use 3 way switches, the answer is, yes, it can, and recognizes them like the 3 way switches in the Devo 10, 8, 12, etc

More
19 Feb 2015 07:18 #28880 by Gerhard_H
Replied by Gerhard_H on topic Does 3-way switches make sense on Devo 7e

robca wrote: . . . With a 3 way switch you can do things you can't do with a on/off switch . . .

I think that's the question . . .
Which things ?
Let me ask this way :
The Devo 7e offers two additional switches - two times on-off. Let's say two functions on-off.
Two 3-way switches (two times on-off-on) - that's four functions for me.

OK, I think the main question is wether the Devo 7e is capable to recognize what two 3-way switches can offer. But till now I have only a ini-file which makes use of only two of these four functions.
Additionally I have the problem that I still haven't understood what the Deviation software is capable of (the "mixer stuff"). Therefore I am reliant on ready to use ini-files.

More
19 Feb 2015 09:47 #28881 by robca
Replied by robca on topic Does 3-way switches make sense on Devo 7e
Think of a 3 way switch a -100, 0, 100 (or -50, -25, 0... any 3 values) So, for example, on a plane you can have 3 positions for a flap

And, yes, Deviation Tx can recognize any of those and make th ebest use of them thru mixers

On a multicopter, you can have 3 flights mode on the same switch (acro, stable, hybrid)

You can mix a 3 way switch on one of your analog channels, so that the response curve for, say, throttle, is different in any of the 3 positions (or any other channel)

You can have LEDs of 3 colors, and change the color in flight

By combining a 2 way switch and a 3 way switch, you can have 6 modes for the Arducopter and control every flight mode supported. Impossible to do with the only two 2 way switches on the Devo 7E

If you are controlling a camera gimbal, with one of the 3 way switches you can set the camera to look left, center, right, with the other 3 way switch up, middle, down. Now you can fly and look in all directions...

Believe me: once you start getting into the hobby, you will soon run out of switches, and you will discover that only two 2-way switches are definitely not enough. So if you solder more switches, you might as well solder the 3 way switches, since a 3 way switch can always be used as a 2 way one, but not vice versa

More
19 Feb 2015 14:25 #28892 by Gerhard_H
Replied by Gerhard_H on topic Does 3-way switches make sense on Devo 7e

robca wrote: Think of a 3 way switch a -100, 0, 100 (or -50, -25, 0... any 3 values) . . .

Thanks a lot for this example, helps to understand.

More
20 Feb 2015 00:52 #28899 by mwm
I'll second that. When people first started talking about adding two two-way switches to the 7e, I asked for a single 3-way switch as an option. The community provided, and that's why the nightly software currently supports adding a single 3-way switch. Probably no one does that any more, because there's now a way to add a pair of them, but they are that useful.

In fact, I'm contemplating adding support for "flight modes" to deviationTx. For each model, you'll be able to declare how many flight modes it will have (default will probably be zero for backwards compatibility). They will then show up in the sources list like a that-many-way switch. And there will be a "flight mode config" where you configure how the physical switches determine flight modes. This wouldn't add anything to what you can do, but it would mean you could set your switches up once, and configure everything else - timers, icons, channel output - using that instead of having to keep the various switches straight from then on. On the other hand, I'll also add names to the flight modes, and let you display the current flight mode name in a box on the main page.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds