I've ordered the Devo 7e in hopes of modding it and flying my quads including:
Syma x5c-1
JJRC H8C
JJRC x6 tarantula
Cheerson cx-10

Cheerson CX-20 (?)

I know the module to run these quads is: NRF24L01

I have a few questions about the mod needed:

1. I was wondering though, can i desolder the X5C or H8C and use that instead, or is the NRF24L01 more universal and thus will work better?

2. if the NRF24L01 is what i need, there are several options, i need the + correct? what does it mean?

2. Do i need the PA version, to increase the range? what is the difference?

3. What is the LMA and do i need it?

Lastly, i saw this on amazon (only one with prime), and was wondering if its the +PA+LMA? the title doesn't state it but the description does list PA and LMA

www.amazon.com/Arrela%C2%AE-NRF24L01-Wir...43668&sr=8-1&keyword :cheer: s=NRF24L01%2Bpa

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2015 22:42 - 24 Mar 2015 17:39 #30143 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic New here, need help modding Devo 7e
Welcome! As a current Devo7e owner I think you've made a very good choice. This is a very flexible platform and it has served me well in the year I've been using it. Keep things in perspective... If you are planning to be in the hobby for a while, you'll be using a sub-$100 controller for aircraft that may cost four or more times that. So I think you should get good quality parts, and work with supportive vendors.

1. Can you use "recovered" parts from the manufacturers TX? Sure. But remember the TX were probably built to save cost, and may not spec out quite like what you get from an experienced source. I bought mine on eBay following the instructions here and it's been fine. I realized I could have done better by getting a cable, antenna and instructions or at least links to useful sites from a single vendor. BTW see Hacksmods.com.

2. If you'll only be flying nano and micro quads, any NRF24L01 seems to be ok. The PA (power amp) increases the output, so you can get better range when you have birds you can actually see from 30-40+ meters! I bought the +PA version. Mine had a u.fl antenna connector and I modded the antenna stub with a long RP-SMA to u.fl antenna/cable.
Banggood.com NRF24L01+PA+LNA
MassiveRC.com accessories

3. The LNA seems to be paired with the PA. For the extra couple of bucks, I got the full package, NRF24L01+PA+LNA but I'm not sure what it brings to the table. If my bird needs it at 400' I'll be glad it's there.

Good luck and safe flying!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!
Last edit: 24 Mar 2015 17:39 by Deal57. Reason: Correct ref. to HACKSMODS.COM

More
23 Mar 2015 23:35 - 23 Mar 2015 23:36 #30149 by IMback!
Replied by IMback! on topic New here, need help modding Devo 7e
PA = power AMP = better range.
lna = low noise amp = better telemetry range, on paper at least no nrf protocol actually has telemetry afaik
Last edit: 23 Mar 2015 23:36 by IMback!.

More
23 Mar 2015 23:38 #30150 by 30secs
Replied by 30secs on topic New here, need help modding Devo 7e
Thanks guys. could i solder the NRF module to the built in devo antenna instead of adding a second one?

More
24 Mar 2015 00:28 #30155 by Jasenk
Replied by Jasenk on topic New here, need help modding Devo 7e
Unfortunately you can't use one antenna without an RF switch. There is some info on Multi-Modules that talk about antennas and the Single-Board Universal Module project that is proving out the single antenna concept using an RF switch as we speak . This project is found here: www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...ard-universal-module
It's an awesome project, but many legal FCC challenges for mass production / sales may prove to make it difficult to ever reach the masses. Hopefully there's an easy solution.

-Jasen

More
24 Mar 2015 03:42 #30157 by FamilyFlier
Replied by FamilyFlier on topic New here, need help modding Devo 7e
Hello!

I'm new here as well! Been flying for a bit now, but all RTF models. Tired of using less than great transmitters and carrying around 12 radios for 12 fliers.

I was thinking of just putting in a single banggood order because it seems I can get everything I need. One stop shopping and all!

I want to utilize both the NRF24L01 and A7105 modules. Are these good choices or should I be looking for something else?

DEVO 7E Radio
www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Walkera-Devo-...eceiver-p-48117.html

A7105
www.banggood.com/XL7105-D03-A7105-Modifi...Flysky-p-922603.html

NRF24L01
www.banggood.com/DEVO-Transmitter-Tuner-...ys-V922-p-89812.html

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

More
24 Mar 2015 05:02 #30162 by 30secs
Welcome as well family flier. I'm getting the Devo 7e tomorrow and should receive my RTF module by the end of the week. For those who added the modules.. did you solder it or use the male/female cables?

Also i saw on ebay cords that are "solderless" -- does anyone have experience with those? Or will i still need to solder the module in?

More
24 Mar 2015 11:07 #30176 by Deal57
@30sec - You'll always have to solder leads to th TX PCB, but I kinda like having the NRF24L01 connecting to the cable header. Be sure you get the polarity right; the cable I have plugs in so that it runs over the board. In the 7e you only have a tiny bit of room, so you will need to position it right if you use a connector.

There's a good argument to solder everything. I've dropped my TX a couple of times, but fortunately everything stayed in place. And in retrospect I won't every need to remove that module... I'll probably get a new larger Devo in the future, and new modules with it.

@FamilyFlier - those parts are good selections. When using internal antenna you want to read up on antenna placement so they don't cause issues between the modules. I installed an external cable with RPSMA to connect to an external antenna; having the u.fl antenna connector on the NRF gives you more choices. For the A7105 the little wire seems to do an excellent job.

More
24 Mar 2015 15:33 #30193 by 30secs
I ordered the nrf module with antenna attached. I would like to have that antenna placed as the main tx antenna. Is that possible? I haven't seen any pics of that mod. I've seen a secondary nrf antenna and a rotating antenna mod, but not an nrf rotating antenna in the center. Is that doable with the antenna mounted on the board? I hope I'm making sense.

If there isn't enough room, how can I extend that antenna to have it work?

More
24 Mar 2015 17:14 - 24 Mar 2015 17:16 #30204 by Deal57
The 7e is tight. As shipped the CYRF antenna is basically stuck up into the stub antenna. You can pull it back and lay it out horizontally instead, then you could place your NRF antenna there if it fits. I actually hacked off the top of the stub so I could fit the RPSMA screw-on connector. You can see one like that at www.hacksmods.com/2014/10/devo-7e-swivel-antenna-mod/ .

Better yet leave the CYRF antenna there and place the NRF horizontally. The signal propagation may be better.

If your NRF came with the plastic part that might replace the stub, that'll be harder to fit. Daryoon's 7e thread on RCG is full of great photos and ideas.

Last edit: 24 Mar 2015 17:16 by Deal57.

More
25 Mar 2015 21:27 #30264 by 30secs
Deal57, sounds like you did what i want to do. Can you post a few pictures maybe so i could see where/how you mounted the module, and the antenna hack/install?

This is the NRF i have:
i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/T5YAAOxyOMdS8qcd/$_57.JPG

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds