Surface Vehicle Types

More
28 Mar 2015 15:20 #30372 by mwm
Surface Vehicle Types was created by mwm
The "Vehicle type" setting affects the default icon, what options are available in the standard GUI, and sets some mix types for helicopters.

The choices are Plane, Helicopter and (in the latest nightlies) Multirotor. I see that the list of supported vehicles includes things labelled "Car" (not sure if that's a generic for four-wheeled surface vehicles or not), and I know people are flying gliders with it, and I know it's possible to sail boats with it.

For that matter, there's a template with a slew of predefined mixes for various fixed wing types .

Would it be worthwhile expanding the set of vehicle types for some or all these things? How about adding a Template selector, with Heli choosing between 4 and 6 channel templates, Plane between all the ones in that template?

Or maybe just let it go until we start seeing a demand for them?

Anyone have any thoughts on this stuff?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2015 16:01 #30405 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Surface Vehicle Types
I've been thinking about this recently and why we dont see more car / truck / buggie guys using devo radios. I think the lack of a car template is one of the reasons there arnt more folks here asking about them.

I dont have a need for it currently but I'd eventually like to get a few wheeled (or even tracked) vehicles and I wont buy / build a model that doesnt work with devo! It wouldnt be a problem for me to setup a nodel file from scratch but new users are probably who you're thinking of...

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
29 Mar 2015 17:22 #30407 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Surface Vehicle Types
I don't really like the 'multirotor' type in the nightlies. Deviation doesn't care about the 'type' at all except for in:
1) setting whether the collective mixer is set
2) defining whether the simple-gui is allowed

Other than that it has no use in the transmitter.
We already have an 'icon' setting to let you choose one. It'd be better to just change 'type' to be 'Is Helicopter' with a yes/no value, rather than having lots of 'type' values that serve no functional purpose.

The main reason no one uses devo for cars is that everyone uses pistol-grips these days.

More
29 Mar 2015 21:14 #30417 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Surface Vehicle Types
Actually, the criteria really isn't multirotor/helicopter, it's CP/non-CP. Coax and FP helis, like all but the CP multirotors, should probably have the same Standard GUI as a Plane. Unless we start adding other types of aircraft mixes for flying wings, etc.

So instead of a "Is helicopter" setting, you have a more generic "Template" setting, that for rotary wing aircraft is "Normal" and "Collective Pitch". And for aircraft we could start with Glider (2-chan), 3-Chan, and 4-Chan, even if we didn't want to do the templates in the thread I linked to.

More
29 Mar 2015 22:35 - 29 Mar 2015 22:37 #30422 by PhracturedBlue
I don't think I follow where you are going. There are already templates supported (though I'm not sure the templates can do everything you want). None of the templates except CP helis can use the 'Standard GUI' and we don't have any additional settings for any other models (I don't think there are even any requests for such). The reason we have a special case for the CP models is that they can't be handled by the mixer. The 'Standard' mixer was developed by suvsuv to provide a simplified interface (which I'm not really a fan of, but that doesn't really matter), but the key to the whole thing is that it can do everything it needs to using Desvo's mixer. If someone were to develop a 'Standard' interface for planes or cars, or boats, or whatever, it would make sense to have a 'type' list to control which screens were available. As it is, I'm still not seeing what having a 'Glider (2-chan)' setting would do that I can't do with the existing Templates.

Are there actually multi-rotor CP aircraft that are not helicopters? Can they actually be controlled by the Standard Mixer or use the standard CP controls?
Last edit: 29 Mar 2015 22:37 by PhracturedBlue.

More
29 Mar 2015 22:55 #30423 by mwm
Ah, I misunderstood what you were suggesting. Yeah, I agree. Remove the type and have a "Needs swash mixing" in it's place sounds good to me. Leave the current set of default icons in place.

The reason for not saying "Is helicopter" is that the non-CP heli's don't use swash mixing. Blade's instructions for setting them up on Spektrum Tx's is to use "Acro" mode, which annoys it's users by having an airplane icon. It annoyed me by not having any kind of throttle kill. Likewise, more modern CP heli's - those with flybarless flight control units - tend to do swash mixing in the flight control unit, so don't need it in the Tx. All of my CP heli's are that way.

As for CP multirotors, here's the first commercial CP multirotors , and here's the HK clone of it . They don't have a swash, so probably don't need swash mixing either. They can probably be controlled by the standard mixer, but won't need the swash mixes any more than my Mini CP does.

More
30 Mar 2015 00:22 #30429 by PhracturedBlue
Well 'Needs Swash Mixing' isn't accurate either, since this single parameter (currently) controls both swash mixing and flagging that the Standard mixer is valid. I want a single setting that means:
swash mixing can (optionally) be enabled, and standard mixer can (optionally) be used.

If someone ever implements the Standard mixer for other model types, then having the current 'type' would make more sense though since it would really mean 'which standard pages to show in the menu'. So maybe I should just suck it up and accept that we have a bunch of types even if the code doesn't (yet) use them for anything.

More
31 Mar 2015 21:23 #30581 by mwm
Well, the standard GUI is no more appropriate for most multirotors (no throttle or pitch curve, swash plate or gyro setting) than it is for planes. Having a "multi" setting means people won't try and use the Heli setting

We could make the standard GUI available for all three types. Just turn off those for things for planes and multirotors, and maybe tweak some of the others as well, like taking out the Gyro switch.

I don't use the standard GUI either. Maybe we should start a new thread about that to get people who do involved?

Back on the subject, I just ordered an RC yacht. I'm liable to swap out the Rx for one with battery telemetry, as getting stuck in the middle of a lake with no controls is only slightly better than running out of power in midair.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds