Deviation reliability (DEVO 10,12s) w/ 700 heli

More
30 Mar 2015 10:14 #30449 by djsmeegy
Hi guys,

I am wondering about the reliability/safety to fly 700 class helicopter with the Walkera DEVO 10 or 12S with Deviation firmware.

Does anybody of you fly 700 size with deviation?

I really love Deviation and the Devo 10 was my first such smart TX. :)

But I want to fly most safely as possible, so what are your recommendations, opinions?

Thank you in advance.

Jake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2015 12:08 #30451 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Deviation reliability (DEVO 10,12s) w/ 700 heli
Hi djsmeegy,

some of the older discussions about similar topic my help you:
official-build-reliability
deviation-engaging-the-traditional-rc-hobbyists

There are known issues with telemetry devo-12s-dsmx-range-and-telemetry-questions , which are under active development right now:
support-for-walkera-telemetry
dsm-telemetry-support
So until now: Switch telemetry OFF for safe flying.

When it comes to reliability there are many factors to be considered besides the firmware of your TX: e.g. TX-Hardware, RX, compatibility, power-supply etc.
Range is good reliability is better

More
30 Mar 2015 13:21 #30460 by djsmeegy
Hi linux-user.

Thank you for your reply.
I will go thru the links in more detail, you've posted. I saw there are people using random equipment w/ Devo TX and they fly 700 even bigger class.

Now I have Devo 10 w/ Deviation 4.0.1 and I haven't modded my TX.
As RX I have satelite spektrum satelite spm 9645 connected into gyro, on the second heli I have AR7200BX. (both are 450 size).
I know there are many things which have to be considered in aspect to reliability...

I've been wondering if there's somebody who's using deviation for large helis (700+ size).

I have not any problem with my Devo 10 - any signal loss, sudden shutdown, reboot, whatever. My TX is reliable for me.
So I'd like to know opinion of other guys :) and if I'm not alone, considering the 700 heli with the Devo.

More
30 Mar 2015 17:26 #30473 by billmester
Replied by billmester on topic Deviation reliability (DEVO 10,12s) w/ 700 heli
Hi,

I have already said a lot in the linked threads...

Nowadays I am flying 1,6m wing class trainers both electric and nitro. I am using my good ol' 4.0.1 Aug. nighlty DEVO 10 and walkera 1002 receivers. They fly faaar awaaay... much further than a 700 class. And they fly rather fast. Other than that, 5x 450 class helis, and a few toys (v911, v912, v922, cx-10), also no issues, since years.
On the helis I use only DSM or DSMX, either with standalone Spektrum rx or 3GX with sats / K-Bar with sats & bluetooth.

No glitches, losses so far.

More
30 Mar 2015 17:39 - 30 Mar 2015 17:40 #30476 by TomPeer
Same here, planes and 450 and 500 class heli with devo 10 and nightly.
No problem.
Edit: with devo rx1002 and rx802
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 17:40 by TomPeer.

More
30 Mar 2015 19:31 #30479 by mwm
I mentioned it elsewhere, so it's probably in one of the linked threads, but there's new data since then.

The question you have to ask yourself is why you think some other choice might be more reliable. Since you're asking in the deviationTx forums, I have to assume that you think that deviationTx might be less reliable than other firmware for some reason. If you look at things in some detail, there are actually reasons to believe that deviationTx is MORE reliable than the alternatives.

For instance, there was a note on this thread that we're having an issue with Telemetry (I think it's protocol dependent, but I'm not following it closely), so you get told to fly with telemetry off. If you were using a Spektrum or FrSky transmitter, or using the Walkera Firmware, and they were having such problems, do you think they'd be that up front about it? Or would they not admit it unless it was widespread, and then you'd have to find out about it in a "Tech note" or some such?

You can look at the deviationTx bug reports (the link that says "Bug Tracker" over there), and see what kind of issues people are having. Some may be user error, but some may be legit, and you can avoid that problem until it's either fixed or settled. They may even include a fix that you can use in your oww build. I don't know of any proprietary firmware that has a public bug repository. I think being able to find and avoid these things should make you things more reliable.

Also, Coverity sells a number of code analysis tools that help you find bugs. They run this tools on thousands of open source and proprietary software projects with hundreds of millions of lines of code every so often to test their tools. They publish reports on these runs. If you don't want to go read the 2013 report , I'll just note that the headline says that open source software - like deviationTx - has better quality than proprietary software - like what you replaced on your Devo, and what Spektrum, JR, Graupner, etc. put on theirs.

That said, if you all your kit from one place with good support, and something goes wrong, the vendor may give you something to make up for it. If you're using a Tx or firmware they don't support, you're probably out of luck.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
30 Mar 2015 19:55 #30482 by djsmeegy
Guys, thank you so much for replies.
mwm, you're definitely right. The possibility to communicate with the others skilled users even with developery is great! And the tracking and resolving problems, bugs, the feedback.

Yes that's I think one most important thing. For sure other brands will have some feedback and so on, but this kind of "friend cooperation" such this forum is offering, I really appreciate.

I really didn't want to depreciate or detract the deviation and hard work of the involved people.

As I mentioned, I wanted to know if there are people using this (for me anazing firmware) with the larger and dangerous helicopter.

I assume I'm one of very few people using walkera tx with devo in my country, so that's why I'm also asking.

If I can be part of this great community, it's great.

Thank you again for great job!

More
31 Mar 2015 22:07 #30583 by Fishfiend
Replied by Fishfiend on topic Deviation reliability (DEVO 10,12s) w/ 700 heli
Yeah, I've been flying my 700 dfc pro hv with an ar7200bx for 18months with no problems, I also have a 600n dfc that I fly on a devo 8ch rx and kbar, a 450 pro 6s on ar7200bx and a chase 360 on a robird with spectrum satellite. I used to fly the 700 on a devo 8s but have since upgraded to a 12s ..Running 4.01 no problems here.. :)

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds