Losing calibration on aileron. Devo 10.

More
12 May 2015 02:13 #32421 by pacificwing
Losing calibration on aileron. Devo 10. was created by pacificwing
Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot a problem I'm having. I got a new Devo-10. I've been using it with the latest deviation firmware to control a nano qx. I am in the process of building another quad I want to use with it, but all of the parts haven't arrived yet, so right now it is just the nano.

I've noticed with the Nano QX that every time I start the transmitter after it has been sitting for a while, the aileron (right stick, horizontal movement) calibration is off. It either barely moves at all, or moves erratically without me moving the stick. Calibrating the stick will change the results, but it is a bit of a crapshoot as to if it will calibrate correctly. After several calibrations and about 10-15 minutes of fiddling, the aileron control settles and is perfect for as long as I use it. Right up until I power it off. Then the whole thing starts out all over again.

It a new transmitter, so I would like to rule out a hardware problem. Any idea on some troubleshooting steps?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2015 01:27 - 15 May 2015 03:27 #32598 by pacificwing
Replied by pacificwing on topic Losing calibration on aileron. Devo 10.
Well.

I suspect it is hardware. The aileron has been getting less and less reliable. Now I can't get a response from it at all.

I was hoping it was a software thing, but it would seem to be doing it with all profiles.

EDIT: Okay. So I reloaded the stock firmware and it seems to be working fine. Interesting. What part of deviation firmware would cause the aileron to go flakey after the transmitter is powered off for more than 20 minutes or so?
Last edit: 15 May 2015 03:27 by pacificwing.

More
15 May 2015 08:54 #32605 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Losing calibration on aileron. Devo 10.
I am sorry, are you saying a devo 10 with stock walkera software works fine with a Blade nano quad?
It shoudn't work at all.
I think i misunderstood something.

More
15 May 2015 13:04 #32617 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Losing calibration on aileron. Devo 10.
When you opened the .ini on your computer were the trim values saved correctly? You could try opening that file every time and watch for it to change. I would guess it's corrupted, try changing to a totally new [rewritten] .ini. Where did you get yours?

Do you want to switch back to deviation and actually do some trouble shooting?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
15 May 2015 13:09 #32618 by pacificwing
Yes. You misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm using the transmitter with the Nano QX, but that is not what I'm having the trouble with. I originally thought it might have been the profile I was using, but I've since ruled it out.

The problem is with the right stick, horizontal movement (aileron). When the transmitter hasn't been started up in a while, it is really finicky. When I go to the monitor screen, It jumps all over the place and doesn't really respond to stick control. I calibrate and calibrate over and over and it gradually gets better. After the transmitter has been running for about 15 minutes or so, it finally starts controlling properly. It will stay that way until the transmitter has been powered down for about an hour or so, then its back to being unusable. Oddly enough, if I simply power it off, and then turn it back on after five minutes or so, its fine.

When I return it to the stock firmware, it calibrates first try and stays that way. I'm not actually flying anything with the stock firmware at the moment, but I'm just looking at the channel monitors on the screen. I don't have a problem again until I reload deviation.

More
15 May 2015 13:10 #32619 by pacificwing
Yes. The ini file changes. I encountered this on another thread and thought it might be the problem, but it is not. The transmitter is back on deviation at the moment.

More
20 May 2015 01:31 #32783 by pacificwing
Well, it turns out it was a hardware issue. I opened up the case and found that the aileron potentiometer was half melted at the factory by a poor soldering job. It wasn't the only sign of poor build quality, but it was the only one causing a problem. There was solder blobs right next to each other, near shorting. There was melted casing, nicked wires all over. Very poor build quality overall. I would not have bought one if I knew they looked like this inside.

I bought it from Banggood, so I'm not expecting to see a resolution other than "pound sand". Looks like I'm out $150.

I wonder if the Walkera Devo radios would have such a loyal following if more people opened them up and looked inside.

More
20 May 2015 11:43 #32793 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Losing calibration on aileron. Devo 10.

pacificwing wrote: I wonder if the Walkera Devo radios would have such a loyal following if more people opened them up and looked inside.

Give that most of the people using them here do so so they can fly lots of BNF aircraft, which means they install extra modules, I suspect the answer is that there aren't enough people who don't open them up to make a difference.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds