Module testing tool

More
14 Jun 2015 03:12 #34040 by mwm
Module testing tool was created by mwm
I've got a number of "suspect" modules. In one case, I have two identical modules, one of which is known to be bad.

Is there some way to test them short of wiring them into a transmitter? It'd be great if I could get a full test - try and bind, and if that worked cycle channel 1 from between -50 and 50 or some such, so I could do range tests and the like, but that would require a lot of UI. Maybe if we had the "open source hardware" version being discussed on the extra inputs thread, or something based on the JR version of the multi-module.

Tailing that, something that would come on, try and communicate with a module, and then indicate whether or not it found one be useful. Just checking modules before wiring them up would be an immense boon for me.

Since we use the same 6 signals for all the modules (except the A7105, which is missing one), we could presumably connect all the modules in the same way. Would the same "Is there a module" test work for all four module types? And if not, could we cycle through them in some order and see if ANY module responded?

This doesn't really take any fancy UI. Nuts, if we don't have to select a module as above, then an arduino would do it - just turn off the pin 13 led at startup, then keep cycling through the modules until one is detected, at which point turn on pin 13 and stop.

Anyone got any suggestions or ideas?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2015 04:00 #34042 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Module testing tool
it isn't too hard.
You can run the module detection code for each module to determine which one is present then do configuration, set the power to maximum and continually transmit on a single channel. Then use the channel scanner on Devo to verify the module output power is within expected values.

I would probably want SOME feedback from the thing. like maybe 4 LEDs one for each module type indicating that a module is found. Maybe a 5th indicator indicating that module id is in progress.
note that some of the modules are picky about bootup sequence. you need to give them power before sendingthem commands on the SPI. the biggest annoyance is connecting your tester to a given module. The multimod board has plugs for almost all available modules, so a layout like that might be a good board interface. The multimod board is actually attached to the spi bus, so it may be possible to program it to do the testing...no visual feedback though. I don't have time to work on it, and the ATTiny may not have enough ROM to initialize all 4 boards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.025 seconds