Spektrum sat diversity setup options?

More
29 Jun 2015 19:37 - 29 Jun 2015 19:38 #34856 by Cereal_Killer
Spektrum sat diversity setup options? was created by Cereal_Killer
I know this isnt devo specific, but I trust the collective community opinion on radio issues here more than I do the idiots at RCGroups...

I need to get some type of diversity setup on my 600 tricopter (and when the time comes my RVJet flying wing), I'm looking at going in one of two directions. The cost is quite a bit different between the two methods, which one will give me the better system in the end?

Option A )
Use a diversity controller / switcher and multiple sat's (up to 4 sat's) but NO main Rx. The switcher would either be one of these (which seem like it could be hard to find anymore) or something I make myself. I would plan on using 3 sat's with it (one on each boom of the tri). This method is the cheaper one, the diversity controller can be had (bought or built) for around $50 and then $10/each for the sat's (I have plenty of spare's on hand to keep costs down). I'd have 12 channels if I wanted

Option B )
Use a full spektrum diversity RX (like the AR9020). Much more expensive method but in the end I think it would probably be a bit more simple. Note it's limited to 9 channels without buying more parts (the channel expander thing) but I could get by with that.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 19:38 by Cereal_Killer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2015 12:44 #34884 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Spektrum sat diversity setup options?
Also wondering about diversity, are there people out here combine multiple brands of Rx for diversity ? I was thinking of multi frequncy band, f.i. UHF system Rlink and a 2.4Ghz Frsky in a diversity setup.
The tx could transmitt using two independant modules parallel (in ppm should be doable)?

More
30 Jun 2015 15:58 #34900 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Spektrum sat diversity setup options?
Update:
Tho I really like the sat diversity controller option (and it wouldnt be an issue to build one myself) I wasnt to keen on the binding method, I already have binding issues using my lemonRX sat's wanting to bind in DSM2 mode only, I was pretty worried about that...

I ordered a lemonRX 8ch PPM receiver and will use one sat with that for now. I just finished this build, it was quite a bit more money than I'm comfy loosing and this method offered me piece of mind for only about $30 while I figure out what I really want to do for the long run. At this point I still feel the sat deversity controller option is my favorite, but I'm not happy with that commercially sold thingy, I will be attempting to roll my own (with some better type of bind support). I'm sure that one works, they sold out after all, but I'm also almost as sure that the guys that developed it wern't running devo radio's and again I'm just not trusting of the bind method / results I'm getting with lemonRX's being forced to DSM2 mode with my 7E...

For now I'm gonna start running the 8ch PPM lemon in soon as it gets here, I will be continuing to work towards a 3-way diversity receiver setup tho and will keep this updated. I'd also be very interested in hearing about your method too! One thing that concerns me tho is that if you outfly the range of ANY UHF system you're going to be orders of magnitude out of sat range, so you may want to rethink that part, maybe use the UHF system as the backup, fly with 2.4ghz till you're out of range then switch to UHF at that point?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
02 Jul 2015 06:46 - 02 Jul 2015 06:48 #34975 by brerax
Replied by brerax on topic Spektrum sat diversity setup options?
OrangeRx has a DSM diversity controller for under $20 that will take up to six satellites receivers :dry:
Last edit: 02 Jul 2015 06:48 by brerax.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds