Devo8S USB issue drives me NUTS!

More
09 Aug 2015 13:59 #36708 by Poldi
Devo8S USB issue drives me NUTS! was created by Poldi
Hello All,
I am suffering issues with my USB connection for a long time now that I am not able to understand or resolve.
I did put Deviation on my 8S years ago, using an old XP computer. Had to hand-copy the STTub driver into the Drivers section of Windows, but otherwise it went smooth and I was happier than ever with my Devo.

Then the issues when trying to maintain my icons, update, etcetera, the PC would not recognize the TX as USB device:
- Used another XP computer and installed DFuSe there, that seemed to work and I moved my files. Next access attempt failed.
- Tried different USB cable, that seemed to work, next access attempt failed.
- Re-installed DFuSe and Drivers, that seemed to work and also failed the next attempt.
- Checked different USB ports at the PC, worked at one point and faild the next attempt.

I also notoriously fail to maintain the driver via Device Manager. It would not read the driver from the indicated folders.

Recently I acquired a Win8 tablet, wich I thought would also suit my hobby well since I can easily take it to where I need it with my TX and models. No way: it will not recognize my Devo8S and I fail again to maintain any drivers.

So I desprerately seek help to overcome this USB trouble!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2015 21:23 #36746 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Devo8S USB issue drives me NUTS!
Is Deviation still working at your Devo?

Press the EXT Button for Firmware upgrade or upgrade the Deviation Version (With DFUse) while switching on the Transmitter

Press The ENT Button for USB Mode of Deviation while switching on the Transmitter

Using the USB mode will not require any drivers...

Greetz
SirDomsen

More
11 Aug 2015 02:08 - 11 Aug 2015 02:11 #36763 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Devo8S USB issue drives me NUTS!

Poldi wrote: Recently I acquired a Win8 tablet, wich I thought would also suit my hobby well since I can easily take it to where I need it with my TX and models. No way: it will not recognize my Devo8S and I fail again to maintain any drivers.

So I desprerately seek help to overcome this USB trouble!

Your tablet will it see usb flash drive ?

I ask because mine has mini usbs and wouldn't. So a cheap usb hub changed stock usb lead for mini usb and still no joy till i shorted sence pin to gnd, then drive appeared. In the i bought proper tablet hub which can charge and power usb devices.
I cant remember off top my head but i'm pretty sure tablet not triggering the usb circuit in tx.
If i'm right it should be 5V from usb triggers Fet in tx which puts 3.3V to pin on mcu which means usb lead is plugged in. Even though its in DFU / drive mode.
Now thinking on maybe usb port on tx is damaged in some way?
Last edit: 11 Aug 2015 02:11 by SadSack.

More
11 Aug 2015 16:23 #36784 by Poldi
Replied by Poldi on topic Devo8S USB issue drives me NUTS!
Thx for the responses.

@ SirDomsen: I never got my TX to work in USB mode without the SSTub, none of my PCs would recognize it as a viable USB device without it. The DfuSe does not see it , either.

@SadSack: This sounds pretty sophisticated, seems I might need to check if my USB ports do appropriately trigger the TX. But how do I check? The tablet does see USB Flash drives and works fine with such. I checked on the TX USB but I can not see anything suspicious. Is that a known issue?

Regards,
Poldi

More
11 Aug 2015 16:59 #36791 by SirDomsen
Same happens with my Devo 10 connected to my Mobile phone. That's because as mentioned the voltage level isnt similar as with an usb stick or something. When you connect your Devo to a PC or the tablet, does anything happen (pc recognizes unknown device for example) or is everything as with no connection? Perhabs the Usb port of your devo is wracked... Eventually you should open your TX and look after it...

Greetz

SirD

More
11 Aug 2015 19:05 #36796 by Poldi
As stated earlier, broken USB port on the TX is still not excluded, but how to test?

And yes, the PC always responds that he found an unknown device. But from there, I never was able to make the device known to the machine.

Thanks,
Poldi

More
11 Aug 2015 20:24 #36804 by SirDomsen
If the PC isn't able to detect which device it is when you correctly imstalled the right driver I would bet it's a USB port issue of your Devo. Remove the backplate of the Tx, then you'll see the Usb port in front of you. Now you can measure between a plugged in USB cable and the solder spots on your tx using a Ohm Meter. Should display about 0 to 1 Ohm. If not there is no connection and it needs to be resoldered or the usb port needs to be replaced.

More
14 Aug 2015 08:49 #36870 by Poldi
Since two days I have, again for unknown reasons, a period where my TX is talking to my Tablet. I put on the 4.0.1 patch at least and did a lot of updating to my model files.

This did involve a lot of wiggeling, moving, and working the suspicious USB port of my TX. It all went without any sign of breakage or loss of contact, so I'd exclude that side of the USB connection from my list of possible issues.

If I'd just know why it works right now and for how long??

Regards,
Poldi

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds