Help with ppm wiring

More
19 Aug 2015 16:23 #37041 by jacklscott3
Help with ppm wiring was created by jacklscott3
Hey guys,
I was hoping you could provide some clarity on an issue in having with my devo 8s.
I'm tryin to hook up an oplink modem from open pilot to my tx using the trainer/ppm port. The only problem is openpilot only shows wiring diagrams for futaba and hitec trainer connections. Looking at the trainer port for devo it takes a 3.5mm spectrum/jr style plug. To be able to use my oplink I have to connect 3 wires: ground, vcc, and ppm
File Attachment:

Does anyone know the pin out for the 3.5mm plug?
Or another route I considered was using an adapter I have that goes from 3.5mm female to futaba connection like these
File Attachment:

I know how to connect with that futaba connection, but will that work?
I'm new to all of this, so sorry if I'm not making any sense:)
Thank you
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2015 18:54 #37047 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Help with ppm wiring
Check out this discussion thread.

www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/3592-7e...-out-and-deviationtx

Let us know if you need more help.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
21 Aug 2015 14:41 #37101 by jacklscott3
Replied by jacklscott3 on topic Help with ppm wiring
Awesome! Well I'm definitely very excited the connection is possible! however I already have a nrf24l01 and an A7105 installed into my devo. Will this effect my ability to install the OPLM? Also the pictures are not visible on either forum and I'm not so clear on how he is connecting the modem. I know there is a ground and a Vdd (or vcc not sure how it's labeled) inside The devo but where do I run the signal for the ppm?

More
21 Aug 2015 17:21 #37103 by Deal57
PPM uses the Devo trainer port (on the Devo 7e it's labelled "DSC"), which is really just a 3.5mm mono jack, so the connection out is a generic mono audio 3.5mm cable. The PPM signal is on the tip, and the shield is ground.

For voltage you can wire in your own with a 2s battery and a 5v step-down supply , + to Vcc, - to ground. Apparently you could also power it directly from a 2s (max. 8.4 volts!), but you'd want to look into that further. While it's certainly possible to use battery power from the Devo, you would need to open it and tap into a regulated 5v supply and ground. I can't tell if you also might be able to use the OPLink USB port to just provide power. Personally I prefer to use an external battery & regulator. YMMV.

Let us know what works!

More
21 Aug 2015 18:54 #37105 by jacklscott3
So it would look like this..?
File Attachment:

I am planning on splicing a trainer cable and then testing the wires to see which is which, I'll use the wire that corresponds with the tip on the 3.5mm plug as my ppm and then the other wire as ground.
Also do you have any recommendations for a voltage step down module? I'm finding many step down to 3.3v but I haven't found step down to 5v yet.
Please excuse the crude drawing, as you can see I have no formal electrical training. And Please forgive me for the barrage of questions, I'm just excited I've found someone who knows how to hook up the devo and OPLM! Thank you for your help

More
21 Aug 2015 19:39 #37108 by Deal57
The drawing looks like how I would do it... I presume you're using the Flexi port for this input, although the drawing shows the lower connector.

In the above note I embedded a link for the 5v regulator I keep around for this sort of thing. They're pretty inexpensive... I found a source in the U.S. on eBay with five for $4.99, search for AMS1117-5.0 and filter for U.S suppliers. If you just try to get one it will cost a lot more!

More
22 Aug 2015 00:24 #37115 by jacklscott3
Opps, yeah you're right I would wire into the flexi-port. I just ordered the 5pc step-down modules, so when it arrives I will let you know how everything turns out. Thank you again for all of your help, I really appreciate it :)

More
15 Apr 2016 11:14 #46557 by dabrain
Replied by dabrain on topic Help with ppm wiring
Sorry to bump an old tread,

But I was wondering if you got it working jacklscott3.

I planned to buy a new F7 (since i broke my old 7E) and use oplink with the F7 to control my revo board.

More
18 Apr 2016 16:08 - 18 Apr 2016 16:16 #46745 by jacklscott3
Yes, I did get it working. I never used it much because I just didn't trust it on my larger multi rotors. (Which is probably completely unfounded, but I'm just being honest) I began working more with my Naza and vector flight controllers. But I did get it working nicely. I ended up taking it off of the devo 8s and running it on my old 7e. I removed the 7e plastic antenna cap and after some very slight drilling to open up the top I place the UHF whip antenna on the 7e, then connected the antenna with a 3" jumper. There is also a Bluetooth module hooked up and mounted to the right side of the oplink.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

You might check on the f7 controller b4 u purchase it. I'm not 100% sure u can run deviation with the f7
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 16:16 by jacklscott3. Reason: Forgot to address tx selection

More
19 Apr 2016 08:50 #46785 by dabrain
Replied by dabrain on topic Help with ppm wiring
Thank you for your reply,

I must say, it looks impressive.

I saw that de devention for the F series is in development, it's usable in the nightly builds.

More
20 May 2017 08:53 #62428 by wetlander
Replied by wetlander on topic Help with ppm wiring
Thanks for the detailed illustration. However, my two questions: one is what I would see in the Devo transmitter (to me is devo 10) after wiring and has connection to the Oplink of the quadcopter. The second is what is this different from having the oplink mini connecting to the PC. Because I am planning to have it connect to my pc. Please advise.

Best rdgs.

Eric

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds