Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650

More
28 Sep 2015 14:57 #38162 by Fernandez
Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650 was created by Fernandez
Does anybody know if devo 7e can handle a 2s pack, instead of the 4x 1.5v = 6v AA cells?

I do not like to put a regulator between as then will loose the tx battery voltage measurement, also the reglator takes standby current.
Somebody has a schematic of the 7e?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2015 06:38 #38200 by Epyon
Replied by Epyon on topic Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650
Hell, I've been running one off a 3s for nearly a 2 years. I did put a small heatsink on the voltage regulator. She ain't died yet B)

More
29 Sep 2015 08:34 #38206 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650
perfect, to be 100% clear, you power the devo 7e with 3s, = 13.6Volt and it does not die?

I did allready replace the small 3v3 regulator, by a bigger one, as the default small reg got very hot at 150mW output, devo 7 was designed for 10mw only.

Can you confirm, send a screenshot, that you can monitor the full lipo pack voltage still correctly on the Tx, so I can set Volt alarm for the Tx pack at 6v6 for the 2s?

More
29 Sep 2015 10:37 #38211 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650
As a counterpoint, a good set of NIMH batteries work well with the built-in charger and a ten dollar 9-volt 'wall wart' power supply. Never need to worry about radio batteries again. And a charge lasts a really long time. Eneloop NIMH batteries hold a charge for months and months and are much less susceptible to weather and neglect than other chemistries.

I considered lithiums for the Devo too. But the built-in charger is designed for NIMH cells, and everything about it seems solid and really low maintenance. Bullet proof.

More
29 Sep 2015 11:21 #38213 by Epyon
Replied by Epyon on topic Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650

Fernandez wrote: Can you confirm, send a screenshot, that you can monitor the full lipo pack voltage still correctly on the Tx, so I can set Volt alarm for the Tx pack at 6v6 for the 2s?

Nope, the voltage shows as ~6v since it's read after the regulator.

More
29 Sep 2015 11:43 - 29 Sep 2015 11:47 #38215 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650
Sorry it is confusing, do you use a lipo pack than stepdown regulator to make 6Volts to power the devo, yes for sure that work, no doubt.
The question is can I power straight 2s into 7e, 8.4Volt instead of 6Volt and read the pack voltage set the alarm.

If anyone has the schematic of devo 7e, can find out. (internally I have allready replaced the 3v3 reg on the board, bypassed with a AMS1117, as default one became very hot.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2015 11:47 by Fernandez.

More
30 Sep 2015 02:55 #38248 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650

Richard96816 wrote: As a counterpoint, a good set of NIMH batteries work well with the built-in charger and a ten dollar 9-volt 'wall wart' power supply. Never need to worry about radio batteries again. And a charge lasts a really long time. Eneloop NIMH batteries hold a charge for months and months and are much less susceptible to weather and neglect than other chemistries.

I considered lithiums for the Devo too. But the built-in charger is designed for NIMH cells, and everything about it seems solid and really low maintenance. Bullet proof.

I went through the same process. i use the HK Low Self Discharge NiMH batteries, and just plug the Tx into the wall wart when it starts feeping at me. I use the same wall wart for the 10 and 6, and the 7E before them.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 Nov 2015 19:35 #39518 by robocog
Replied by robocog on topic Devo 7e powered from 2s pack 18650
Do you find when it starts beeping at you for power can you plug in the PSU and carry on?

I am sure I was able to do this at one time with my 7e (possibly pre installing 2 modules?)
(I of course only want/need to do this when flying on the sim= connected to the PC and close to the wall wart :D)

I can no longer do this - the TX powers off if I attempt it despite it showing good voltage
I wonder if this is a sign the regulator is not happy?

Not to worry too much a Devo 10 landed today for me = 8 cells so hoping I get longer playtimes :D
Got it second hand (and its a black one!...the only colour that will fit into my lifestyle :D)
It was already deviated (so I'm not the only one this side of the pond!)
No modules installed AFAIK seller was suitably vague, will pop her open to have a peek to see how much more room there is inside compared to the 7e!

Regards
Rob

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds