Thrust Differential

More
13 Jul 2016 04:23 - 13 Jul 2016 16:30 #51593 by magic_marty
Thrust Differential was created by magic_marty
Think i am going to convert my Bloody Wonder or build a second one with twin motors on the wing and i want the motors to act as a rudder using thrust vectoring...Has anybody tried this with Deviation? I am sure it is possible but i haven't looked into setting up the mix yet just been thinking about it a lot lately and thought i would ask if anybody has did this...If so perhaps you could give me some pointers in setting up this type of mix...

Changed the title cause vectoring is actually tilting the motor and i only want to differentiate the thrust
Last edit: 13 Jul 2016 16:30 by magic_marty. Reason: Changed the title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2016 06:19 #51594 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Motor Thrust Vectoring
I guess you need to figure out how much of a difference you need to make to the ESC values, eg. +/- 10%? You still want thrust on both, just a bit more or a bit less.

Theroretically I'd just set up two channels, both with a SRC of THR, and then ADD the rudder source, scaled down as above; for one channel you'd invert the rudder mix so that for one ESC it decreases speed with "negative" rudder, the other increases speed.
Get one channel working as desired first, write it all down then do the same on the second channel, with the rudder source inverted.

More
13 Jul 2016 16:37 #51607 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Motor Thrust Vectoring
Yes that's how i was thinking it should work but will take a bit of experimenting to get it set up , I just seen that FliteTest just released a video on setting it up but they use Graunpner transmitters...

More
13 Jul 2016 16:40 - 13 Jul 2016 16:48 #51608 by D_an_W
Replied by D_an_W on topic Motor Thrust Vectoring
Don't know if it helps but FliteTest just posted a guide regarding this...

EDIT: I guess you saw it already!

*** Walkera Devo 10 * 4-in-1 Module * Deviation v5 *** *** Walkera Devo 7E * A7105 Module * 2x 3 Way Switches * Power Mod * Deviation v5 ***
Last edit: 13 Jul 2016 16:48 by D_an_W.

More
13 Jul 2016 16:45 #51611 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Thrust Differential
To get it on the second channel, you can use the channel reordering tool and copy the first one to the second channel, the invert the rudder input in the copy.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
13 Jul 2016 16:57 #51613 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Thrust Differential
Next week i am finally off from work on vacation and plan on building another Bloody Wonder or Bloody Baron not sure which yet and going to try setting it up with twin motors using differential thrust...

Thanks for posting the video D_an_W actually i hadn't watched it yet cause it was sent to my phone and i couldn't find it on there site...

More
13 Jul 2016 22:45 #51623 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Thrust Differential
Not sure if it's best to both increase and decrease the two ESCs, or decrease only; if going for the latter, you can use the less than / greater than curve type on the rudder mix.
The thing to remember, which is part of why I raised the above, is that you have to have a way of initially setting your ESC throttle range, so if you throttle only goes to 90% with room for a +10% mix for rudder then you need to remember to setup to program the ESC for 100%...
(sorry very quick reply, got a crying baby calling for my attention)

More
14 Jul 2016 04:15 #51627 by magic_marty
I read online that a v-tail mixer would also work, what if i used a v-tail template and change the src ect...

More
18 Jul 2016 01:34 #51803 by RoGuE_StreaK
Sorry for the late reply magic_marty, yeah to my mind any of those sorts of mix templates should work, v-tail, elevon etc., just change the sources and tweak the proportions of the mix to taste. Remember to check the logic of each mix though, as some (most?) v-tails and elevons have servos that are physically mounted inversed

More
18 Jul 2016 22:31 #51856 by magic_marty
Went ahead and built a new Bloody Baron instead of the Wonder cause i want a rudder for trimming the Yaw and don't think its a good idea to use the thrust differential for trim..Set up the mix and have it working on the tx but waiting for my motors and esc's to get here tomorrow but it looks like it's gonna work really nice and was surprisingly easy to set up.I even used the F-Mode switch and set 2 different thrust rates to test it out and see what's going to be the best setting...Plan on finishing it up tomorrow and doing the maiden hopefully uneventful...lol

More
19 Jul 2016 01:34 #51866 by RoGuE_StreaK
Yeah once you get into it you start to come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful mixes because... well, because you can! ;) For example on my rudderless Durafly Vampire I incorporated "variable aileron differential" to give a sort of pseudo-rudder, worked pretty well but didn't get to do comprehensive testing before some trees jumped out at it...

More
20 Jul 2016 01:43 #51899 by magic_marty
Yay!! the maiden was very smooth with only a little trim needed ...The thrust differential works as it should it just doesn't do what i expected it does yaw as it should but the torque from the motors causes the plane to roll i think i need to swap them to counter the torque roll...I do have a problem tho i can't get failsafe to work the way it is now if i loose connection it will just keep flying which is not good...:(

More
20 Jul 2016 04:25 #51900 by magic_marty
Crap i went to edit my post and accidentally deleted it...The maiden went smooth with little trim needed its a rocket ...The thrust differential worked as should and first time this happened didn't have to change anything on the mix i set up the other night before i got my motors..not even reverse got lucky i guess..Couldn't get the fail safe to work on my 12s when signal is lost the plane just keeps flying so i found the rx manual and noticed it has a preset fail safe mode and i set it up now signal loss shuts off motors and gives 1/3 up elevator for hopefully a kind of soft crash landing if something goes wrong...

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds