Internal cyrf module - does it turn off?

More
22 Aug 2016 11:37 #53002 by RoGuE_StreaK
Internal cyrf module - does it turn off? was created by RoGuE_StreaK
Does the internal cyrf module turn off (or at least the PA) when selecting either None, PPM, or USBHID as the protocol?

Reason being I'm looking at adding two more modules with external antennas, but don't want three physical antennas attached; I'm contemplating having the three sockets, but using only one physical antenna. Now I know it's a bad thing to power up a module without an antenna attached, so I'm thinking that if I load a non-module protocoled model (eg. USBHID) as an intermediary, can I switch the antenna to the module I intend to use without fear of burning something out?

I would rarely be chopping and changing frequently, primarily using DSM2/X, but even when changing models with the same protocol I have the habit of loading the model then restarting the TX, just to "make sure". So no real hassle, and not something I'd tend to forget, to load the USBHID model, turn off, swap the antenna over, turn on (in USBHID mode), load the new protocol's model, then turn off and restart, so theoretically there would never be a time when a protocol was loaded that didn't have the antenna connected to that module?

I have an acquaintance with a 3d printer so would look at custom-making a three-headed mount where the existing antenna mount is (which is currently 3d printed as well)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2016 13:08 - 22 Aug 2016 13:11 #53005 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Internal cyrf module - does it turn off?
A nice way is to have small dummy load on the module not in use.
Thats how I do it. In addition to that my setups are all at 1mw and set to a proper output before flying.
................................Btw, USBHID has no RF output.
www.banggood.com/SMA-Male-RF-Coaxial-Ter...50-Ohm-p-927353.html
This one is SMA and you will have to find some of these in RP-SMA or just build a quarter/half watt one from a socket and a resistor.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 22 Aug 2016 13:11 by aMax.

More
24 Sep 2016 22:13 #54224 by C0br4
Replied by C0br4 on topic Internal cyrf module - does it turn off?
I also would like to know if it is safe to remove the antenna on not used modules. The sma terminators are a nice way to circumvent the problem but i would rather only switch antennas instead of unscrewing multiple things.

Time to create page: 0.027 seconds