USBHID mode not working on a Mac

More
11 Oct 2016 23:34 - 12 Oct 2016 01:01 #54838 by raketemensch
USBHID mode not working on a Mac was created by raketemensch
I have set up a model using the USBHID protocol for practicing with Freerider.

When I load the model, or hit "reinit," then the mouse on the Mac becomes completely unusable, and just skitters around at the bottom of the screen.

I've reformatted and re-flashed both the latest Nightly and the Stable releases, and the behavior persists across both.

I am running Sierra. Has anyone else ever seen this issue?

I have tried creating models from scratch, as well as using some models that I've found in the forums that have worked for other people. Still no joy -- I lose the mouse, and can't launch any simulators or anything to calibrate.

[EDIT] I have been able to use it on a Windows machine, using the same models that I've tested on the Mac.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2016 01:01 by raketemensch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2016 17:07 #54979 by raketemensch
Replied by raketemensch on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
Does anyone have this working on a Mac running El Capitan or Sierra?

More
21 Oct 2016 18:51 #55261 by MangoTru7h
Replied by MangoTru7h on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
Im running a Devo 7e on 5.0.0 and also having this problem. It seems as if Sierra is seeing the Devo as a mouse input and not a "gamepad" or what have you. Any ideas for a fix?

More
21 Oct 2016 18:56 #55262 by raketemensch
I have not found a fix yet. I dd bring it to the developers' attention, but it's really an Apple issue. There has been all kinds of USB weirdness with Sierra.

What's odd is that PS4/Xbox controllers still work as usual, and they also use USBHID.

More
03 Dec 2016 01:45 #56474 by Fly-N-Large
Replied by Fly-N-Large on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
I created an account just to say I'm having the same issue. I have a Devo 7E and Devo 10 - neither are working on my Mac. This is a brand new OS on a brand new machine - naturally one of the first things I want to do is fly! :) But I can't! :(

Anything I can do to help diagnose this?

More
03 Dec 2016 01:53 #56475 by Fly-N-Large
Replied by Fly-N-Large on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
FWIW, here's the info I see in System Information:

More
27 Dec 2016 22:13 #57271 by anansi22
Replied by anansi22 on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
Have the same issue. Worked perfectly before the El Capitan upgrade. Given that my Taranis works without an issue, it must be something to do with how this USBHID is implemented in the deviation firmware that's hosing things on the Mac. To complete the testing, can someone try a stock Devo radio to see if it works with the Mac? If that works then he issue is most certainly the deviation software.

Please also post what version deviation software your radio has so that this can be isolated to particular versions. I'm on a 4.0.1 nightly.

More
27 Dec 2016 22:54 #57273 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
First: a stock DEVO radio can't act as an USBHID device, so that test is irrelevant.
Second: your reasoning is false. If it worked perfectly before the El Capitan upgrade, then why don't you blame the upgrade? :whistle:
I don't state, that deviation might not be faulty, but it works on all other platforms, or even on other Mac versions...

More
28 Dec 2016 23:24 - 28 Dec 2016 23:28 #57311 by anansi22
FDR - Do you even own a mac? Do you have something positive to contribute? I'm not trying to pick a fight here but we are looking for solutions. It is so easy to be an ass online and some you guys are just d!cks by default once you get in front of the screen. How about not being one for a change and aim to help? If you had to stand toe to toe, I'm sure you wouldn't be as condescending...

So it worked fine for a while and apple updates were applied and it stopped. To analyze reasoning - this doesn't automatically mean that something is broken in the Mac. There are two possibilities - USBHID to the Mac is broken, or USBHID as implemented in Deviationtx doesn't fully comply with the protocol's standard, causing issues on the mac after security updates. If USBHID as implemented on the Mac was broken then the Taranis WOULD NOT WOULD. The Taranis implements USBHIB using the open source OpenTX firmware and appears to communicate with the Mac without an issue.

My Deviated 7e was tested on a few Macs with the same result. It drags the mouse pointer down to the bottom of the screen and the mouse becomes unresponsive. This is not an isolated incident but one that warrants investigation. In the body of the thread we have a few 7e's and 10s with the same issue on multiple computers running multiple OS versions. The only that that is common between all of us is DeviationTX on our radios.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2016 23:28 by anansi22.

More
29 Dec 2016 09:51 #57316 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
It is not tolerated to call anybody an ass on this board, and it is especially not wise to do it with the site admin!
I warn you, next time you will be banned for such!

You are right, I don't own a Mac, but as a software developer I still don't feel your reasoning legit enough.
I feel your pain about the unusable USBHID, and suggest to use the trainer output with a dongle until it will be sorted out.
However without a developer owning a Mac, it probably won't be resolved soon...

More
29 Dec 2016 14:13 - 29 Dec 2016 14:21 #57323 by anansi22

FDR wrote: It is not tolerated to call anybody an ass on this board, and it is especially not wise to do it with the site admin!
I warn you, next time you will be banned for such!

You are right, I don't own a Mac, but as a software developer I still don't feel your reasoning legit enough.
I feel your pain about the unusable USBHID, and suggest to use the trainer output with a dongle until it will be sorted out.
However without a developer owning a Mac, it probably won't be resolved soon...

Thanks for the warning but being banned here does nothing to me. I call it as I see, site admin or not. I thought you were condescending in your reply and had nothing to add but jumped on the opportunity to call what you saw as fault reasoning in a way that says " I am superior!" What you wrote could have been interpreted differently but you added that emoji on the end that clearly summed up your meaning. I'm also a developer with many many years of solid experience.

Let's just drop it. I'm here looking for solutions and to help others. I don't post much but research and experiment extensively. There are many out there that could use help and few willing to help without coating it with attitude. How can I get my hands on the code. Given the small number of folks on the thread I'm not certain if it is worth the effort to dig into this, honestly.

Can someone test this on Windows and possibly linux to see if they experience an issue there as well? I've only used the Devo on a Mac so I have no idea if it works on other platforms.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 14:21 by anansi22. Reason: don't wanna start a fight :)

More
29 Dec 2016 21:15 - 29 Dec 2016 21:24 #57339 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
it's only a macos issue, and only since the sierra beta onwards, it still works perfectly on linux (fedora, and debian), freebsd 11 and windows (7 and 10) this issue has been discussed several times in this forum with the same following suggestion when people become belligerent, go complain to apple as the issue is theirs!

here i'll even help you on your way > forums.developer.apple.com/thread/65232
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 21:24 by HappyHarry.

More
29 Dec 2016 21:25 #57340 by raketemensch
I picked up a new MBP (well, a used 2013, but it's more than enough for what I need, and has a 1tb SSD drive, which I desperately need and can't afford with one of the new models), and am running El Capitan on it just to have my Devo working.

I totally agree that this is Apple's issue. They borked a lot of USB stuff with Sierra, if you check the Apple Support forums they're full of people who couldn't even get drives to mount.

In the meantime, you might consider picking up a DSMX receiver USB dongle at Gearbest or Banggood. I'm considering doing this anyway, as the USB port on this radio makes it very difficult to hold the tx naturally while it's plugged in.

More
01 Jan 2017 21:40 #57439 by anansi22

raketemensch wrote: In the meantime, you might consider picking up a DSMX receiver USB dongle at Gearbest or Banggood. I'm considering doing this anyway, as the USB port on this radio makes it very difficult to hold the tx naturally while it's plugged in.

Hi, was unable to find that USB DSMX receiver to which you referred. I found USB devices for flashing particular brands of DSMX receivers. Would you mind sharing the DSMX receiver dongle to which your refer - post a link please. Thnx.

More
02 Jan 2017 04:58 - 02 Jan 2017 04:59 #57454 by raketemensch
My bad, it was HK:

hobbyking.com/en_us/dsmx-dsm2-protocol-usb-dongle.html

I don't use it, I stuck with El Capitan for now. Both for my Devo and a bunch of Ableton Live issues.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2017 04:59 by raketemensch.

More
08 Feb 2017 14:23 #58924 by HappyHarry
jfip the macos usb bug is fixed as of

MacOS Sierra
version 10.12.3

thanks to DumbTrucker for the information

More
14 Mar 2017 18:04 #60190 by Bhinman
Replied by Bhinman on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
Can I upgrade my Devo 7e firmware with this dongle? My USB port broke off with no traces to solder to. Need a way to get past 4.01. thanks...

More
15 Mar 2017 08:56 #60208 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
Not as is. It connects the RF transmitter on your Tx. Even if it allowed your computer to send data to your Tx, the firmware doesn't have the ability do an update over the air like that. We've talked about adding that kind of facility, but it's not likely to fit on the 7e.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
21 Mar 2017 15:43 #60481 by SnappyCrackers
Replied by SnappyCrackers on topic USBHID mode not working on a Mac
Can you elaborate on this as I am running the latest Sierra and still have the issue....

More
21 Mar 2017 20:58 - 21 Mar 2017 21:00 #60486 by HappyHarry
sorry bud i won't touch apple products so my information is second hand, but the bug was there from sierra beta through to the early sierra releases (not just deviation issues but lots of usb issues, as apple in their genius decided to remove a usb stack that has worked in openbsd for years and replace it with garbage) as mentioned many times this is an apple issue and there is nothing the devs here can do about it i'm afraid, but as i posted above dumbtrucker posted that the issue was resolved for him in build 10.12.3, perhaps downgrade to that build and see if that works for you
Last edit: 21 Mar 2017 21:00 by HappyHarry.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds