Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?

More
04 Jan 2017 05:18 #57524 by wbynum
I have successfully flashed the lasted nightly build to my Devo F7. I was able to delete the old devo.fs from the F7 and copy over the devo.fs from the nightly zip file. Problem is how do I copy over the protocol directory from the zip file to the F7? There is no space left on the file system according to Windows. What am I missing? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2017 06:20 - 31 Jan 2017 00:33 #57528 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
PB (PhracturedBlue) wrote a tool that runs from the command line, named "buildfs". There is a Windows version (exe) and a Python version (py) for all computers that run Python.
I use the Python version on my Mac to maintain my Devo F4. I believe the same tools work as well for the F7.
Try this link from PB's DropBox to see if you can still download the exe version:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52854517/buildfs.exe
The routine is that you extract the contents of the devo.fs file to a folder on your computer. What you get are the standard Deviation file system folders and files, such as protocols, etc. Then, you can edit these contents to your liking, adding and removing parts like models, templates, protocols, etc. Then, from that revised folder, create a new devo.fs file that you can copy to your F7 via USB. (Alternatively, you can write the devo.fs file directly to your Devo by entering the appropriate path for the build output. Doing it this way also gets around any "Out of Space" errors you may encounter when copying).

You can use this to see the contents of the devo.fs file and to create a new one if changes are needed:
To extract:
buildfs.exe --fs <path to devo.fs> --dir <directory to write to> -x

To create a new devo.fs:
buildfs.exe --fs <path to new devo.fs> --dir <directory where devo.fs was previously extracted> -c

To extract:
python buildfs.py --fs /Volumes/DEVOFS/devo.fs --dir DevoF4FS -x

To build:
python buildfs.py --fs /Volumes/DEVOFS/devo.fs --dir DevoF4FS -c

Note: "DEVOFS" is the default name of my radio. "DevoF4FS" is the name of a folder I created on my Mac.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 31 Jan 2017 00:33 by Arnold. Reason: Typo

More
30 Jan 2017 21:10 - 30 Jan 2017 21:21 #58576 by Dustalot
Replied by Dustalot on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
Thank you for your info on this topic. I also have Devo F7 on nightly build. I am having a hard time understanding the steps. How do I view the contents of the devo.fs file with buildfs.exe? I can't seem to extract anything.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2017 21:21 by Dustalot.

More
30 Jan 2017 21:48 - 30 Jan 2017 22:01 #58578 by Arnold

Dustalot wrote: How do I view the contents of the devo.fs file with buildfs.exe?

The .exe file is used in the Windows command line tool. I don't have Windows, so maybe I'm not much help with that.
The output from the command is sent to a folder that you create - maybe in the same folder as the devo.fs file is located, so the path is not complicated. After you run the command, that folder will contain all of the material that is held in the devo.fs file - folders and files which you can edit in preparation for creating a new devo.fs file that has your choices.

I can't seem to extract anything.

Maybe a genuine Windows user can help you with syntax. Note the "--" double dashes in the command. The command line is not very forgiving :-)

<Edit> Also notice the last two characters in the command: -x to extract and -c to create. They're easy to overlook.

Last edit: 30 Jan 2017 22:01 by Arnold. Reason: Added info

More
31 Jan 2017 17:41 #58594 by Dustalot
Thanks for your help Arnold. I tinkered in the command prompt just to say I tried but not sure what to do. I'll be doing research in the meantime. I think I just need the model params so my transmitters end points are correct for my x350 pro. When I first arm it the motors spin up high rpm at 1% throttle then it disarms. When I re arm after that the motors start spinning at 15% throttle and I get no response any less than that. Tried calibrating radio on mission planner and esc calibrate. I got full range of throttle in ESC calibration mode but when I unplug battery and plug back in it goes back to the problem before.

More
01 Feb 2017 00:47 - 01 Feb 2017 17:18 #58605 by Arnold

Dustalot wrote: ... not sure what to do ...

The buildfs command needs four bits of information that you will have to come up with.
For the extract function - The path to the devo.fs file you want to extract from and the path to the destination folder (which you have created) for the output of the extracted data (the folders and files contained in devo.fs).
For the create function - The path to the folder containing the folders and files that you want to put on your Devo and the path to the Devo or the output directory on you computer. - Depends on which method of output you choose.
Hope you can work that out.

For the rest of your post, I don't know anything about the x350 pro or mission planner. Anyway, that part is off-topic for this thread. Maybe you could copy it and post it in one of the other two threads you started about your issue. Might get more traction there.

Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 17:18 by Arnold.

More
01 Feb 2017 19:08 #58621 by Dustalot
Thanks for your help. Sorry it's so confusing for me. I don't have much experience with command prompt. Is buildfs supposed to open when I double click it or do I have to open in through command prompt? My understanding is buildfs is the tool I use to view and edit the .fs file. When I click buildfs a command window flashses and closes really quick saying "must specify ~~dir"

More
01 Feb 2017 20:31 #58623 by Arnold
I'm out of bullets. :)

I suggest that you do an internet search for "How to use the Windows command prompt".

More
02 Feb 2017 19:02 - 02 Feb 2017 20:32 #58667 by Dustalot
Well I finally got the file extracted. I owe it all to you, Arnold! I've included the command prompt screenshot of the commands I wrote out in case anyone else has trouble. Do you know where I can find a Walkera Qr x350 model file or what I need to import to get the parameters on my transmitter correct for my X350 Pro? Basically I'm getting throttle at 15% and above and nothing below. Im hoping a model file will adjust the parameters accordingly.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2017 20:32 by Dustalot.

More
02 Feb 2017 21:28 #58669 by Arnold
I'm very happy to hear that your persistance has paid off, Dustin! Nice job.
Some people have folded when they get to this point.
Never give up.
:)

More
02 Feb 2017 23:52 - 02 Feb 2017 23:53 #58676 by Dustalot
It would be impolite not to persist with people like you voluntarily helping. Do I just need the original model config file for the X350 pro to put in the models folder? I got a hold of an original .bin file and when I upgraded through dfuse tool in the config tab my F7 couldn't bind because it was missing the DEVO protocol, Devo channel said 12 instead of 8 and my models disappeared. It only gave me an option to load file and when i hit ENT nothing happened. I don't even know what that .bin file is doing because when I replace the devo.fs in the drive the model list shows back up. Is the .bin file accessing the devo.fs file when I upgrade in dfuse? I got nightly working normal after re-doing firmware. Do I just need that one x350 pro config file to replace one of the model slots? I've included a screenshot to make sure I'm in the right folder.

File Attachment:
Last edit: 02 Feb 2017 23:53 by Dustalot.

More
03 Feb 2017 02:44 - 03 Feb 2017 02:54 #58681 by Arnold

Dustalot wrote: ,,, Do I just need the original model config file for the X350 pro to put in the models folder? ...

Yes, but I'm not aware that there is an "original" model config file for the X350 pro, though there is at least one user-created .ini file in the Model Configs section of this website. Here's a link:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-configs/6045-walkera-qr-x350pro
That is one I found with a quick browse (there are probably more) in the Model Configs area. You can get there by starting from the Index link at the top of this page, then scroll down. You can download the .ini file from this site or you can create you own, either on the radio or on your computer using a text editor. I believe the text editor must be Unix compliant. Just be aware that if you use a downloaded .ini file, you may have to edit it to account for the switches your Devo has compared to the one that the .ini file was written for. Different Devos have different switches in most cases.

I got a hold of an original .bin file ...

I don't know what that .bin file would be if it is not the DATALOG.bin file that deviation normally produces on the radio. And I've never used the DFuSe tool since it is a Windows app and I'm a Mac user. So, sorry, but I don't know what's going on with what you're saying about that.

... Do I just need that one x350 pro config file to replace one of the model slots? ...

Yes, replace the first available model file with the .ini file. Do not rename the file. You can put the name of the aircraft in the .ini file and it will show up that way on the radio, but don't change the name of the file itself.
Do this replacement in the folder on your computer that contains the model folder and files that you want to have on your radio. When your run the -c variant of the buildfs command, you create your new devo.fs file with the new parts. That goes on the radio and you have what you want. You can't just copy the .ini file onto the radio and expect that it will work. All of the "F" series Devos use this devo.fs scheme in deviation because of the limited resources they have (at least with respect to deviation's file system) - a lack of memory and storage space.

Last edit: 03 Feb 2017 02:54 by Arnold.

More
03 Feb 2017 05:17 #58683 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
No, the original Walkera model .bin files are for no use in deviation.
They are for the stoc fw.

Search a deviation model.ini file in the forum for the X350, and put that into your folder structure inside the devo.fs.

More
03 Feb 2017 17:11 #58700 by Arnold
Oh, yeah, I get it now.
I was focused on deviation & not thinking outside the box.

More
04 Feb 2017 17:35 #58749 by Dustalot
I'm having trouble finding a model.ini for the Devo F7 and Walkera X350 Pro on this forum. I reverted back to oringial firmware 6b and loaded stock model with the bin file. I thought I could then turn on F7 in USB mode and pick apart that devo.fs file assuming the bin file was modifying it. But I think USB drive mode only works with nightly firmware. What if I use the settings for a Devo 10 and Walkera x350 pro? Will any extra text lines or different format make the F7 totally fail? The model.ini in the devo.fs file from the nightly build has much less text than when I view the Devo 10 model.ini from the forum. Also is there anyway to download the ini files from this forum? I could seem to only view them.

More
12 Feb 2017 19:25 - 12 Feb 2017 19:27 #59096 by Fyter889
Replied by Fyter889 on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
Hello all! I have a Devo f7 bone stock. Came with my Walkera 210 racer. I want to get a micro racer like the eachine 010, or Blade Inductrix. Will any of these micro racers directly bind to the tx? Secondly, if I have to download the firmware for,say the eachine, will my original Walkera 210 still work? Third, what do i need to download, in order of operation for it all to come together? I also have a DX6i transmitter if the f7 proves incompatible.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2017 19:27 by Fyter889.

More
21 Aug 2017 02:12 #63882 by RubenRC
Replied by RubenRC on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
If you flash your Devo F7 you need to open the zip file with Deviation. Once you do that look for the protocol folder. In there will be the protocols. Move the protocol file to your folder you use to create devo.fs and build it and then move the devo.fs over to your transmitter. Power cycle and you should have your protocol.

That's what I've done. Although my dsmx for my beebrain does bind the controls are all wrong. I've corrected them in my mixer but I still can't fly my beebrain. I'm not really sure what else to do at this point.

Honestly I think development for the Devo F7 has been stagnant. And my Tiny 7 and Arfun 95 work good. My Tiny 7 I can't get video to work but I think the frequency is the issue so I can just change it on the drone and it should be good.

Good luck

Mavic Pro | ARFun 95 | KingKon Tiny7 | Beeductrix | Inductrix FPV | Nano QX2
DEVO F12E | Devo F7

More
07 May 2018 10:25 #69093 by idaho54
Replied by idaho54 on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
Hi,
I would like to buy a devo f7 to install deviation on it, but i am not sure it will work... Is the 5.8g video streaming still works after upgrading the firmware? Thank you.

More
07 May 2018 22:35 #69103 by Schugy
Replied by Schugy on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
Yes, video works and you can specify a switch for video overlay on/off.

More
08 May 2018 09:12 - 08 May 2018 09:16 #69113 by idaho54
Replied by idaho54 on topic Devo F7 - How to copy protocol files?
Thank you for your answer! I have still several questions if you don't mind... Is devantiontx stable on the F7? Isn't it too hard to install? Which version did you use? Is the FPV mode really usable to pilote a drone? Is it fully compatible with a dsm2 receiver? At last, can we use it with a simulator via usb? Thank you.
Last edit: 08 May 2018 09:16 by idaho54.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds