DEVO 7E just stopped working

More
14 Jan 2017 21:14 #57950 by Bamboozy
DEVO 7E just stopped working was created by Bamboozy
hi everyone I was just updating the nightly builds and when I went to put it in USB mode to finish it just didn't do anything
I was on it 20 min before and everything was ok it was working - so I took the USB out and went to turn it on
and nothing at all - nothing on the screen - I put new batteries in hoping that was it but still nothing
has anyone ever heard of this happening?? what could it be? thanks for any help in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2017 17:18 #57988 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic DEVO 7E just stopped working
I hope by now your Devo is working... but if not, we sometimes find that removing the batteries for an hour or so then reinserting fresh ones can help it revive. It is pretty darn rare for the Devo7e to just stop, so let us know what you find.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
15 Jan 2017 17:40 #57989 by Bamboozy
Replied by Bamboozy on topic DEVO 7E just stopped working
Still not working :(
I'm gonna open it up take pics then post here
Maybe something burned out or something. - I'm not to skilled in the mechanics of it all Someone did the mods for me
Hopefully someone can figure it out Thanks

More
16 Jan 2017 00:36 - 16 Jan 2017 00:36 #58015 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic DEVO 7E just stopped working
it could be that the pfet used to turn the power on/off has failed, another possibility is that the 3.3v vreg has failed. what were you powering the 7e with? also do you have extra modules fitted? if so which? a test to check both components at once would be to place a jumper over the pins under the pfet, if the tx powers up when the jumper is connected then the vreg is fine and there is an issue with the switch/pfet, if it doesn't it will require further testing. i've highlighted the pfet and the pins you need to jumper to test this in the attached picture

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2017 00:36 by HappyHarry.

More
16 Jan 2017 03:59 #58020 by Bamboozy
Hi and thx for the reply - so it's powered with AA batteries and yes it has the A7105
And the nrf (forget the other letters to it ) lol
I will try the jumper thing but can u explain a little more exactly how to do it
I'm a Girl not that it should matter but i don't know to much about the electronics of it all , But I can fly good lol I did open it up and see what u have marked in ur pic
How would I do the jumper thing ? I have a multimeter and wired alligator Clip things?? If that helps lol sorry for my lack of knowledge. I appreciate ur help tremendously :) :

More
16 Jan 2017 15:00 #58032 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic DEVO 7E just stopped working
The Orange arrow in Happy Harry's photo is a part which is the actual "switch" (the power switch in the front that you manipulate is only the user input, it doesn't actually physically disconnect power)...

Use a pair of metal tweezers and touch one prong of each to the two vias (metal plated holes) that he's highlighted in yellow box and see if it powers up. If it does this indicates to us what the problem is and we can help you with what to do next, if it doesn't power up it tells us something more is wrong and we'll dig in if we need to. Good luck. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE ACCIDENTALLY WITH SAID TWEEZERS! You need to have a very steady hand while you're poking around in there as touching the wrong pads will create a dead short between + and - (and bad things happen when you do that)

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
16 Jan 2017 15:32 #58035 by HappyHarry
if you don't have tweezers you could also use a pulled open metal paper clip, or a length of wire with bared ends etc anything to make an electrical contact between the two points. also your right being a girl doesn't matter one bit :)

More
16 Jan 2017 17:29 #58050 by Bamboozy
Thanks so much for help guys :) Just saw ur replies Once I'm done my errands and home settled I'll get to work I should be able to handle the first step :) I'll keep ya's updated Again thanks really appreciate It ;) p

More
16 Jan 2017 18:00 #58051 by Bamboozy
I actually just did it now since it wasn't real involved - and nothing happened when I touched the lil holes - I wasn't suppose to turn it on when I did it or anything right
I just touched and nothing :(

More
17 Jan 2017 00:58 #58063 by Cereal_Killer
For us (you) to proceed you'll need to have a multimeter to measure some voltages for us... Do you?

More
17 Jan 2017 02:52 #58068 by HappyHarry
this may be a silly question but did you keep the wiring connected between the front and back halves of the tx when you tried? as it would be an easy mistake to make to someone new to this area

More
17 Jan 2017 19:51 #58095 by Bamboozy
Hey guys yes I have a multimeter and yes I did keep it connected when I opened up , good thinking tho I'm surprised I didn't lol
I'll try it again just to make sure - when I was updating the nightly I realized I didn't use the USB the devo came with. But it shouldn't matter right That couldn't have like screwed it all up ? :unsure

More
18 Jan 2017 01:18 #58099 by Cereal_Killer
Are you certain it didn't just fail loading FW? What happens if you try to power it on with the top left EXT button held? Still nothing?

More
18 Jan 2017 02:17 #58101 by Bamboozy
No nothing - i went and downloaded the nightly then when I went to do next step put it in the usb mode it never made the usb image on the devo screen - so I took the usb out then tried to turn it off on again. Nothing
Like it had no batteries - And I was def using the devo b4 I did the update - it was on and working :(

More
18 Jan 2017 02:20 #58102 by Bamboozy
When I was updating. U know how u have to hit upgrade or upload I Forget the one without looking at the screen but if I hit the wrong one could that have did something and ruined it? After that part it just stopped working

More
18 Jan 2017 07:02 #58113 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic DEVO 7E just stopped working
If you hit upload, it has ruined your DFU file on your computer, but otherwise doesn't effect the TX itself until you try to upgrade that same DFU file later.

I haven't read all this thread, but if you can switch the TX on in program update mode, i.e. holding the EXT button while turning on, you can correct the firmware installation.
If you can't turn it on in program upgrade mode, then try to remove the battery, wait an hour, and put back the battery and try again to swithc it on in DFU mode.

However there might be real hw issues too, like the power switch itself, or the FET, which switches the power to the circuits...

More
18 Jan 2017 20:44 #58137 by Bamboozy
Wait so I tried again And put in usb and hit the ext and power on and the programming update came on screen :)

More
18 Jan 2017 20:56 #58139 by Bamboozy
Still won't go into usb mode tho Doesn't recognize the usb when I plug it in

More
18 Jan 2017 21:00 #58140 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic DEVO 7E just stopped working
If the firmware upgrade wasn't successful, you can't use the USB mode, since it is in the firmware...

More
18 Jan 2017 21:30 #58143 by Bamboozy
Omg I'm so sorry for being such a moron !!! I ended up Downloading it all over again and it worked - I must of screed it up downloading thx for saying about trying ext and turning on. I was about to throw it away get a new one I really thank u guys for having the patience and helping me - I feel such a moron lol Again. Thanks all who replied and helped me :) :)

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds