I give up with my MAC.

More
06 Feb 2017 01:05 #58795 by Dumbtrucker
I give up with my MAC. was created by Dumbtrucker
So I have been at this for weeks and I can not get deviationtx for the life of me on my devo 10 white! I'm not great with computers by any means but I can read instructions and follow well. I have looked at google, and tried many of different thing's to get the Duf-tool that you need and can not get it working for what ever reason. The Walkera sight is nothing but righting so I can't find my way around. I'm close to selling this TX for a Taranis TX and be done with it!

Any help would be great, I have a new MacBook pro and a stock Devo 10. All I want is the ability to run PPM for my 220 build.

Thank's Matt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2017 04:27 - 06 Feb 2017 04:40 #58797 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic I give up with my MAC.

Dumbtrucker wrote: ... AI have a new MacBook pro and a stock Devo 10 ...

I'm a Mac user & I've helped several people get started with Deviation. Try these instructions for installation. It might be helpful to print this info so you can have it at hand. Post here in the forum if you need help.

The Deviation manuals suggest 2 methods for installing Deviation:
1. Use the Deviation Java Uploader.
2. Use the Walkera Dfuse installation software.

Method number 2 is for use with computers running the Windows operating system.
Method number 1, the Java Uploader, is cross-platform (Windows, MacOS, Unix, whatever can use Java), and is the simpler, more trouble-free method. The Updater was designed and built by the Deviation development team to ease installation of Deviation on a variety of Devo tramitters.. Using the Java Uploader, you can easily install any version of Deviation from version 4.01 or later, or return to the original Walkera firmware and file system if you wish. Installation uses the Firmware Zip file that you download without needing to unpack it. The Java Uploader takes care of unpacking and putting everything it the appropriate location on the radio. The application also includes other useful features you can explore.

Step-by-step downloads:
- Click on "Downloads" in the sidebar on the left side of this page.
- Download to your computer (in a location where you can find it) Deviation 5.0.0 firmware from the "Deviation Releases" section. You could also use the newest "Nightly Build", since it will have the most up-to-date information and the latest protocols.
- Click on "DFU USB Tool" from the "Downloads" page.
- Click on "DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar." to download the Java version of the installer tool for installing Deviation.
- Go to www.java.com to download the current Java software for your computer if you don't already have it installed.
- If, for any reason, you decide to revert to Walkera's Devention firmware, go to the "Links" page in the sidebar, where you can find sources for the original Walkera installation files for your Devo.

Step-by-step Installing Deviation on the Devo:
- Ensure that your Devo is fully charged before beginning. Interrupting this process will lead to tears.
- Run the DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar application on your computer.
- Connect your Devo to your computer using the appropriate USB cable.
- On the radio, turn on the power switch while pressing the "EXT" button. (On the Devo 12S radio, use the "Trainer" switch instead.)
The "Program Update" screen will be displayed on the radio and it is ready to receive an update.
- If your computer prompts you to format the device, accept the default recommendation and proceed. Formatting clears out the file system, but does not affect any firmware on the Devo. If you had Devention models, they are saved, but are not available to you under Deviaton firmware.
- On your computer, look at the "Transmitter" field at the top of the Uploader program that's running. The name of your Devo should appear there shortly after turning on the transmitter.
- Look for the series of tabs marked "Install/Upgrade | DFU | File Manager | Bin-Send" and see that "Install/Upgrade" is highlighted.
- Next to the "Firmware" field, click on the "..."button to browse for the Zip file for the Deviation firmware you are going to install and select it. The path and filename will appear in the "Firmware" field. You will also see that the fields for Firmware and Library Version and Size now contain information. Also, a number of item boxes have been checked in the program window to set up the installation. You're good to go!
- Click on the "Install/Upgrade" button at the bottom of the program window and wait while the installation takes place. You'll see the progress bar at the bottom of the window and then a dialog box will notify you when the installation is complete. Be patient.
- Job done. Unplug the USB cable and turn off the transmitter. When you turn it on again, you'll be greeted with the Deviation splash screen and your adventure can begin.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 06 Feb 2017 04:40 by Arnold.

More
06 Feb 2017 08:17 #58804 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic I give up with my MAC.
macos from sierra beta onwards has a broken usb stack, use a different computer with linux or even windows and it will work fine

More
06 Feb 2017 10:23 #58808 by Dumbtrucker
Replied by Dumbtrucker on topic I give up with my MAC.
Thank you for the instructions, I will try these out when I get home this afternoon. Extremely grateful for helpful people like you guys!

More
06 Feb 2017 22:47 #58833 by Dumbtrucker
Ok well I'm making head way I think!?! I finally got the DFU tool up and running and it will read the radio! My only problem is that when I go to browse deviation 5.0.0 zip file and click on it I will not open it in the DFU program it just keeps opening files in the 5.0.0 and then I end up with nothen to open with as it will not highlight. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point. So close but yet so far!

More
06 Feb 2017 23:37 - 07 Feb 2017 00:02 #58837 by Arnold

Dumbtrucker wrote: ... My only problem is that when I go to browse deviation 5.0.0 zip file and click on it I will not open it in the DFU program it just keeps opening files in the 5.0.0 and then I end up with nothen to open with as it will not highlight ...

OK, you're close. Good job.
Now, after you have connected the Devo and see the name of the transmitter in the top area, there are 3 steps left. And none of the steps will "open" anything.
1. Look for the series of tabs marked "Install/Upgrade | DFU | File Manager | Bin-Send" and see that "Install/Upgrade" is highlighted.
2. Next to the "Firmware" field, click on the "..." button to navigate to the Zip file (that you downloaded) for the Deviation firmware you are going to install and select it. Doing this merely points to the file you intend to install. It does not try to open the file. You are just indicating to the installer, "This is the file to use."
3. Click on the "Install/Upgrade" button at the bottom of the program window and wait while the installation takes place. You'll see the progress bar at the bottom of the window and then a dialog box will notify you when the installation is complete. Be patient. No files will open or unzip on your computer. It all happens on the Devo without your intervention.

When these two steps are completed, you are done.

Last edit: 07 Feb 2017 00:02 by Arnold.

More
07 Feb 2017 00:04 #58839 by Dumbtrucker

Arnold wrote:

Dumbtrucker wrote: ... My only problem is that when I go to browse deviation 5.0.0 zip file and click on it I will not open it in the DFU program it just keeps opening files in the 5.0.0 and then I end up with nothen to open with as it will not highlight ...

OK, you're close. Good job.
Now, after you have connected the Devo and see the name of the transmitter in the top area, there are 2 steps left. And neither step will "open" anything.
1. Next to the "Firmware" field, click on the "..."button to navigate to the Zip file (that you downloaded) for the Deviation firmware you are going to install and select it. Doing this merely points to the file you intend to install. It does not try to open the file. You are just indicating to the installer, "This is the file to use."
2. Click on the "Install/Upgrade" button at the bottom of the program window and wait while the installation takes place. You'll see the progress bar at the bottom of the window and then a dialog box will notify you when the installation is complete. Be patient. No files will open or unzip on your computer. It all happens on the Devo without your intervention.

When these two steps are completed, you are done.

This is what I end up with, even though I'm clicking on the file that I want to install it just keeps opening more and more files and no of them are high lighted as you go and you can see that the (open) tab is not high lighted nor is it ever in this process..

Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2017 00:49 #58841 by Dumbtrucker
Ok I did download the 5.0.0 and got it to work but now when you turn it on its just a white screen and blank after you go in the menu you can see a little line on the top right of the screen... I suck at this kinda stuff so bad!!

More
07 Feb 2017 00:58 - 07 Feb 2017 01:08 #58842 by Arnold

Dumbtrucker wrote: This is what I end up with, even though I'm clicking on the file that I want to install it just keeps opening more and more files and no of them are high lighted as you go and you can see that the (open) tab is not high lighted nor is it ever in this process..

The screen shot shows a couple of problems you can fix.
- First, you downloaded the wrong file for the firmware. What you have is an emulator file for Deviation - a file that is meant to run on Windows computers that emulate the behavior of Deviation on a Devo 10. Make absolutely sure you download the correct version for your Devo 10 that does not have "emu" in the name.
- Second, you unzipped the file that you downloaded, thus resulting in that bunch of files. Do not unzip the file that you download.

... You can do this ... !

<Edit> While checking the steps I outlined, I noticed that the Java app actually uses the word, "Open" when dealing with the firmware.zip file. Sorry if that causes confusion. Otherwise, what I outlined remains to be true.

Last edit: 07 Feb 2017 01:08 by Arnold.

More
07 Feb 2017 01:09 #58843 by Dumbtrucker

Arnold wrote:

Dumbtrucker wrote: This is what I end up with, even though I'm clicking on the file that I want to install it just keeps opening more and more files and no of them are high lighted as you go and you can see that the (open) tab is not high lighted nor is it ever in this process..

The screen shot shows a couple of problems you can fix.
- First, you downloaded the wrong file for the firmware. What you have is an emulator file for Deviation - a file that is meant to run on Windows computers that emulate the behavior of Deviation on a Devo 10. Make absolutely sure you download the correct version for your Devo 10 that does not have "emu" in the name.
- Second, you unzipped the file that you downloaded, thus resulting in that bunch of files. Do not unzip the file that you download.

... You can do this ... !

I did switch to the right deviationtx file but now I just get a white screen. I can go in to ent and power on and get in to it but I have no idea what I did, also the ext and power still will boot up like before just the screen is now white. Also did not unzip it. If need to I can take more screen shots to help under stand my not so great lingo with computer talk.

More
07 Feb 2017 02:13 #58844 by Arnold

Dumbtrucker wrote: I did switch to the right deviationtx file but now I just get a white screen. I can go in to ent and power on and get in to it but I have no idea what I did, also the ext and power still will boot up like before just the screen is now white. Also did not unzip it. If need to I can take more screen shots to help under stand my not so great lingo with computer talk.

I don't know why you're getting a white screen on the Devo. Since you are unable to continue with installing Deviation, you could try removing the Devo's battery for, say 15 to 30 minutes and see if that will get you back to working condition.
As for unzipping the file, it shows in the prior screenshot that it has obviously been unzipped. This could be happening automatically if you have a setting in your Safari's Preferences for that.
In Safari's Preferences, under General, at the bottom of the window, there is a checkbox for "Open "Safe" Files after Downloading". If that box is checked, it will cause downloaded .zip files to be unzipped immediately after the download completes.

More
07 Feb 2017 02:52 #58845 by Dumbtrucker
Yeah I have no control of the devo anymore. I'm so confused now hope I did not brick the TX. This has been a real mess and this TX is about on the edge of me going to a taranis quickly.

More
07 Feb 2017 02:58 #58846 by Arnold
Another unfortunate consequence of that checkbox in Safari's preferences, is that, after unzipping the downloaded file, the zip file is then deleted.
And that zip file is what you need to use in this case.
So, I suggest you uncheck that checkbox so as not to lose the zip file. Now, be alert! Unchecking that checkbox will cause different behavior with regard to photos and movies you download. Now they will not appear automatically when you download them. You'll have to decide if that's an inconvenience you can live with or not.

More
07 Feb 2017 04:02 #58847 by Dumbtrucker
Got it working, had to do in to usb mode and had to unzip the file and manually transfer over the files. Now I don't get the cool start up display but thats fine for now. next step is to relearn the TX and set my Walkera rx1002 receiver back up so I can fly atlas one of my quads.

More
07 Feb 2017 04:34 #58848 by Arnold
:woohoo:
WooHoo! Glad to hear it. You did it your way B)
Good job.

More
08 Feb 2017 02:25 #58891 by Dumbtrucker

Arnold wrote: :woohoo:
WooHoo! Glad to hear it. You did it your way B)
Good job.

I just would like to extend my thank's out to you! A little guidance's can go a long way! I just would like to add to this thread that I did end up downloading the latest nightly build and did a full un-install and then had to perform the same thing by unzipping the devo file and then performing a manual install to get a fully working version of deviations on my TX. Also got my hands on some orange rx615's and will be working on that for my 220 build.

But a real thanks for you guys that are able to under stand this stuff better then one like myself and and are willing to help out!

More
08 Feb 2017 02:33 #58893 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic I give up with my MAC.
Stick to V5.0..(vlaid_vy versions) , they are good for everything and as a beginner, you will not run into trouble.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
08 Feb 2017 08:51 #58907 by HappyHarry
matt do you know which version of macos you are running? as I mentioned earlier there was an issue with the usb stack in macos that first appeared in sierra beta, but you have managed to install deviation using a new macbook pro so they must have pushed a bugfix, so it would be handy to know what version macos you have so when others have issues we can inform them which release to upgrade too

More
08 Feb 2017 13:18 #58921 by Dumbtrucker

HappyHarry wrote: matt do you know which version of macos you are running? as I mentioned earlier there was an issue with the usb stack in macos that first appeared in sierra beta, but you have managed to install deviation using a new macbook pro so they must have pushed a bugfix, so it would be handy to know what version macos you have so when others have issues we can inform them which release to upgrade too

MacOS Sierra
version 10.12.3

More
08 Feb 2017 14:14 #58922 by HappyHarry
thanks bud

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds