Light on Devo 7e?

More
26 Mar 2017 06:19 #60755 by ClittleJ
Light on Devo 7e? was created by ClittleJ
Is there a way to wire up the light on the front of the tx when the power switch is on?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2017 14:58 - 26 Mar 2017 15:01 #60767 by Ssayer
Replied by Ssayer on topic Light on Devo 7e?
it's been a long time now, but I just wired in a couple of green LEDs....
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2017 15:01 by Ssayer.

More
26 Mar 2017 18:06 #60770 by ursus69

More
26 Mar 2017 18:50 #60773 by Chimera
Replied by Chimera on topic Light on Devo 7e?
I'm a complete soldering n00b but I managed this one, the SMD leds are tiny but adding 2 red ones gives 6v of resistance which is perfect for the 4xAAs powering the 7E.

More
26 Mar 2017 19:12 - 26 Mar 2017 19:19 #60774 by ClittleJ
Replied by ClittleJ on topic Light on Devo 7e?
Thanks for the replies! In one post it said to run the positive to the black wire on the on/off switch (which I assumed was negative) and the negative to RF shield corner. Does this sound about right? Any chance anyone has a pic or diagram of how they wired them in? I already fried a fet on the board by mistake before and had it replaced professionally. Don't really wanna chance frying something else with lack of info. Anything on the lines of "Installing LED's for dummies" would be great lol.
Cheers!

Edit: The ones I was hoping to use, because I have them on hand, was spare blue ones I have for the Hubsan 107L. Can these be used in this application?
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2017 19:19 by ClittleJ. Reason: More info

More
27 Mar 2017 11:05 #60796 by Chimera
I'd say no, those LEDs are too big to fit into the available channel. You want SMD LEDs (they're about half the size of a grain of rice), I bought these because they were cheap on Amazon Prime and gave me many to screw up practice if needed -
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CUGAFEC/ref...05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The description you have is correct, positive to black on the switch, negative to the RF shield if you can get it to stick - I actually just have my ground stuck to the RF shield with electrical tape because I'm replacing the whole module with a 4-in-1 soon.

More
27 Mar 2017 11:16 - 27 Mar 2017 11:18 #60797 by ClittleJ
Thanks for the response! I have the 4in1 installed already so I have some nice solder pads on the top corners where the module used to be. About the wiring of the LED's.. would I wire each seperate with their own wires or wire them together with just 2 leads going to the connection points? Also, did you use hot glue or something of the sort to hold them in place? My original idea was to use one of these hubsan lights but just kinda leave it floating somewhere away from the area that would light up just to get the glow, but I'm not sure how well that would work either.. Thanks again for the help. Cheers!
Last edit: 27 Mar 2017 11:18 by ClittleJ. Reason: Spelling

More
27 Mar 2017 11:25 #60798 by Chimera
I just wired 2 LEDs in series with a small piece of wire between them. I didn't use hot glue but in hindsight that would be a good idea to hold the whole LED assembly in place, in the link above you can see they used 30awg wire which was thin enough to run under the plastic channel, if I was doing this again I would probably do that but only had 24awg wire on hand. I built mine on the desk, using a CR2032 (3v) battery to test a single LED then 2x2032s stacked to test 2 LEDs in series.

More
28 Mar 2017 02:05 #60830 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Light on Devo 7e?
Not sure how much space is in there for the LEDs, but a 5mm LED (like the ones you have) can always be sanded down quite a bit; that clear section is essentially an epoxy, you can grind most of it away and not have any effect whatsoever on it's abilities (apart from diffusing the output)

More
28 Mar 2017 21:31 #60879 by yets
Replied by yets on topic Light on Devo 7e?
I have just done the 4 in 1 mod and was contemplating doing this but got sick of all the soldering I had to do. Anyway, did you guys put any resistors in?

More
29 Mar 2017 16:55 #60910 by Chimera
No resisters for me, 2 of those SMD LEDs = 6v so no need AFAIK.

More
29 Mar 2017 19:01 #60916 by yets

Chimera wrote: No resisters for me, 2 of those SMD LEDs = 6v so no need AFAIK.

Ahh yes, that would make sense lol. Thanks

More
29 Mar 2017 19:18 #60917 by ClittleJ

Chimera wrote: No resisters for me, 2 of those SMD LEDs = 6v so no need AFAIK.

What about the people that run 3 of the small LED's?

More
29 Mar 2017 19:57 - 29 Mar 2017 20:03 #60918 by MikefromGermany
Replied by MikefromGermany on topic Light on Devo 7e?

ClittleJ wrote: What about the people that run 3 of the small LED's?

Simple LED Driver, aka fixed current circuit.
Most efficient way.

Or you connect the LEDs in a parallel circuit, current limited by a resistor.
That's quite a quick'n'dirty approach, though.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2017 20:03 by MikefromGermany.

More
29 Mar 2017 20:37 #60919 by yets
What is the voltage from the + on the switch?

More
29 Mar 2017 20:59 - 29 Mar 2017 21:06 #60921 by ClittleJ
Well I just got my led's in today.. glad I read this before I installed anything. Now Im worried about putting in the 3 small ones like I was planning. Was hard to tell from the pics but i didnt notice anyone using an extra circuit or resistors when adding the led's. So if Im only using 2 1206 SMD LED's its ok to just wire them right in? (I believe the voltage on them was 2.2-3v or something like that) and if I were to put 3 in series I would need a resistor or a circuit to power them? Little more complicated than I originally thought, may just put the project on hold till I get some more info.. don't want to fry another component, and Im kinda new to this whole world.

edit; I am using 4x Nimh 1.2V eneloops. The Tx usually sits around 5-5.5V whenever Im using it, so I wouldn't even have the required 6V you would get from 4 dry cells... very confused now.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2017 21:06 by ClittleJ. Reason: more info

More
29 Mar 2017 23:23 #60924 by Chimera
I'm using 1.2v NIMH and it works fine with 2 LEDs but I don't think it would drive 3 in series. I assume the people using 3 in series are driving their Devo with a LiPO vs dry cells.

More
30 Mar 2017 00:10 #60925 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Light on Devo 7e?
I'm using three 3mm LEDs in series from a 5v source on the processor board, and a 68 ohm resistor to ground. It's been working great for a couple years now.

I've wired a lot of LEDs and I won't install them without a resistor. http:LED.linear1.org has a great set of guides on LEDs.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
30 Mar 2017 00:27 #60926 by ClittleJ
Got it working! Thanks so much for the help! Was a little trickier than I thought to get them mounted. They look much better, ..and redder in person lol. I used the diffused red 1206 smd LED's.
Got a couple tips for the method I used, which worked pretty well.
Make the wire joining the 2 LED's the exact length so they sit right about in the square little slots in the channel on the buzzer piece that you remove with 2 screws. (looks like they were probably made for LED's..) the wire joining them will fold over the clear insert perfectly.
Snip a small triangular piece out of each edge of the plastic channel on the transmitter with snips (or grind it down a bit) to let the positive and negative wire have room on each side.
I used a little piece of rolled up "sticky tack" (the sticky clay stuff for hanging things on the wall) on each side and jammed it into the edges of the channel on the buzzer piece (where the LED's will be installed) to give the LED's something to sit on/stick too. Also when I put everything back together it kind of pressed the sticky tack to the perfect shape it needed to hold the LED's in place.
Anyway.. that's how I got it to work. There are probably much more efficient/easier ways to go about it but, it is what it is, and it works great for the time being!
Hope this helps someone, and thanks to everyone who helped me!
Cheers!
Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2017 00:29 #60927 by ClittleJ

Deal57 wrote: I'm using three 3mm LEDs in series from a 5v source on the processor board, and a 68 ohm resistor to ground. It's been working great for a couple years now.

I've wired a lot of LEDs and I won't install them without a resistor. http:LED.linear1.org has a great set of guides on LEDs.

Uhhggg.. you think it's dangerous with this setup?
Would the LED's burn out or it could mess something else up?

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds