Light on Devo 7e?

More
30 Mar 2017 01:04 #60928 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Light on Devo 7e?
http://led.linear1.org/why-do-i-need-a-resistor-with-an-led/ discusses the role of the resistor and current in the circuit. The LED dissipates any excess current as heat, and eventually breaks down into a "dark-emitting-diode" :)

So it may work for a while, but variations in voltage over time will not be good to the LED. I suppose it's unlikely to hurt anything else; it'll just be a diode at that point. Personally I would put a 1/8w or 1/4w 68-80 Ohm resistor (or use the handy LED resistor calculator on that site) between the LED and ground and you'll be fine.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2017 05:21 #60933 by ClittleJ
Replied by ClittleJ on topic Light on Devo 7e?
So these are the LED's I used, they are 2V forward. Can someone help me figure out the safest resistor to use and where to place it? So I have a wire going from the switch to the first LED a wire joining the 2 LED's then a wire going to ground on the board. I know you mentioned putting a resistor between the last LED and the ground but everything else Iv seen is telling me to put the resistor on the positive side. I probably have things confused, any clarity would be much appreciated!
Cheers!
Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2017 05:53 - 30 Mar 2017 06:10 #60934 by MikefromGermany
Replied by MikefromGermany on topic Light on Devo 7e?
Just add a NSI45020AT1G regulator to each LED that needs 20mA - use as much of these prepared LEDs in parallel as you want and do not care of input voltages, LED voltage or LED color at all.
(means: as long as the input voltage is 1.8V over LED voltage and less than 45V DC)

I payed about 25 cents per piece.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2017 06:10 by MikefromGermany.

More
30 Mar 2017 06:06 #60935 by ClittleJ
Thanks for the option MikefromGermany! I was hoping to find a solution I could add to my current installation. I will keep that option in mind for sure in case I do disassemble it all again. Any recommendations for a series circuit with only 2 2V 20mA LED's? Thanks for your time! Appreciate the feedback :)

More
30 Mar 2017 06:30 #60937 by MikefromGermany
Do as Deal57 said above.
Use either:
led.linear1.org/led.wiz
or
ledcalc.com/#calc

For your application see below:
Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2017 11:16 #60940 by ClittleJ
Thanks again Mike! Will do that option.

yets wrote: What is the voltage from the + on the switch?

Anyone know this off hand? Guess I will have to buy a multimeter otherwise.

More
30 Mar 2017 12:15 - 30 Mar 2017 16:22 #60941 by MikefromGermany
As far as I recall it was plain battery voltage.

Buy a multimeter in any case. You can't do this hobby without.
Cheapest useable one I came across: DT832 with continuity buzzer.
Get an AD584 reference module for around 3 bucks to check your meter. (Most probably not a needed step, but it's for the peace of mind)
Last edit: 30 Mar 2017 16:22 by MikefromGermany.

More
30 Mar 2017 22:34 #60955 by ClittleJ
Thanks again! You've been a ton of help. Installed the resistor today and bought a multimeter as well. Voltage at the switch showed as about 4.99V and on screen battery was showing 5.27 so they are close. Maybe there's a 5V regulator before the switch? At 5V in the calculation it showed a slightly smaller resistor, but I went with the 82ohm 1/4W one anyway for the 5.5V that I sometimes hit with a charge. I'm sure it should be fine.. Took that opportunity to clean up my amateur work a bit on the inside as well, since I hope this will be the last time I have to open in for a while.. lol. Looks a bit crazy inside but everything works!! ;)
Cheers!
Attachments:

More
07 Jun 2017 13:55 #62872 by kanve88
Replied by kanve88 on topic Light on Devo 7e?

MikefromGermany wrote: Just add a NSI45020AT1G regulator to each LED that needs 20mA - use as much of these prepared LEDs in parallel as you want and do not care of input voltages, LED voltage or LED color at all.
(means: as long as the input voltage is 1.8V over LED voltage and less than 45V DC)

I payed about 25 cents per piece.

Hi guys! I'm also thinking about adding some LEDs to my Devo and I think from all the setups, the one MikefromGermany has suggested looks the best. Because I'm relatively new to the hobby in general, I want to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly. I've already purchased the LEDs ( www.ebay.com/itm/152223769007?ul_noapp=true ), and now I'll order the driver ( www.mouser.bg/ProductDetail/ON-Semicondu...Y%2F1y6plKPSog%3D%3D ), so would anyone mind just detailing for me what the exact way of connecting these should be? Dd I need to place them on a circuit board, since soldering 6 elements (3 LEDs + 3 drivers) with a thin 30awg wire seems a bit too hard for me?
Many thanks in advance!

More
09 Jun 2017 08:14 #62903 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic Light on Devo 7e?
I have added one 3mm green led to my devo 7e. A bit less fiddly than trying to work with smd's.
1x 3mm green led
1x 220 ohm resister
a bit of heat shrink and wire

Devo 7e A7105 NRF24L01 CC2500 2x3 way & voice, Devo 12e 4 in 1 & voice.
FFS (Forever Fixing Stuff)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds