new to deviation - what do I need to install it?

More
22 Apr 2017 19:01 - 22 Apr 2017 19:05 #61685 by hilarious
Hi there,
I'm a Futaba user, but totally new to Walkera radios and Deviation.
I'm looking for a radio to fly helis on DSM2 and have just learned I can do that (and much more) with Deviation.
So, I'm thinking of buying a Devo 7E or 8 and install Deviation on it.
What do I exactly need to have in order to do so?
Do I need the Walkera UP02 Adapter, for example?
Thanks for any help.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2017 19:05 by hilarious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2017 20:38 #61688 by FDR
No you don't need the UP02 adapter, just an USB cable, which is included.

However your choice is not clear.
The 7E is cheap and small, the 8 is color and full size, so what is your priority?
The CYRF module of the 7E (which is needed for DSM) is not full range, but you can replace it, for example with a 4-in-1 module, however it is much easier to do that to a Devo 10 or 12E, which are full sized full range TXs BTW...

More
22 Apr 2017 20:49 - 22 Apr 2017 20:49 #61689 by hilarious
Replied by hilarious on topic new to deviation - what do I need to install it?
hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm still learning about the devention radios. i knew nothing about them until a few hours ago.

I've just watched a review about 7e on youtube and learned just what you said, I mean, it is a short range radio. So, I'll need a devo 8s or 10. Unfortunately I can't find 8s to buy.

How friendly is the deviation system? I mean, how easy to use is it? It seems the original devention menus are more user friendly, correct?

Thanks.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2017 20:49 by hilarious.

More
23 Apr 2017 08:07 #61697 by FDR
I would say it is different. A lot.

You can check that by reading the manual and trying the emulator on your PC.

More
23 Apr 2017 23:19 #61716 by mwm

hilarious wrote: How friendly is the deviation system? I mean, how easy to use is it? It seems the original devention menus are more user friendly, correct?

Depends on the user. I think the deviation menus are friendlier, because I can do things with them I simply cannot do with the devention system, like configure a three-channel yacht.

The devention software (like most proprietary Tx systems) abstracts the details of the radio away and lets you set things up for your aircraft. If they provide a way to do what you want, it's a lot easier than deviation because you don't have to translate from aircraft controls to radio channels to do things. But if they don't, then deviation is a lot easier because you don't have to translate from the aircraft controls they provide to radio channels and then to the things you want to control. In some cases - as with my yachts - what you want to do may not even be possible.

For that yacht example, the rudder is on the rudder channel and has a standard DR rudder setup. No problem with either system. But the main & jib sheets need to be on the same control stick (throttle) with different trims since they control different sails. This is easy to do with deviation. I never even tried with devention, but I've never seen proprietary aircraft firmware that could handle that. The solutions I've seen - even commercial ones - all involve physical modifications to the gimbal.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
24 Apr 2017 01:28 - 24 Apr 2017 06:09 #61719 by Texacate
hilarious, you said you were a Futaba user.

The ability to control virtually every model out there with Deviation (and the appropriate RF modification) is it's central claim to fame. Just be aware that you have to add RF modules to unlock the full potential of Deviation. This involves minor (to major) soldering skills depending which RF module you're adding to which Devo transmitter.

Out of the box, you can control any model that uses the CRFY6936 RF chip that comes with the Devo transmitters. This includes DSM2 and DSMX, which are the ones you specifically mentioned wanting to use it for.

However, Futaba FASST is of the few protocols that is NOT yet supported. Futaba S-FHSS may work with a CC2500 RF module. So plan on using your existing Futaba transmitter on those models.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2017 06:09 by Texacate.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds