Devo 7E 4in1 mod, smoked mainboard!

More
04 Jun 2017 16:55 #62822 by DrMeltdown
Devo 7E 4in1 mod, smoked mainboard! was created by DrMeltdown
I finished adding the 4in1 module and tried to test it. The first couple times turing it on, menu buttons beeped, but I could not get into the menu (stayed on initial loaded model screen). I could boot into usb mode and program mode. Deviation was working fine before the 4in1 mod install.
I inspected and repositioned the module and tried again, this time I saw the dreaded magic smoke and burning smell.
I see a burnt out component (pic attached) and found a blob of solder between the RED and YELLOW wires on the connector labeled "RUDD-V" that I hadn't noticed before. I also may have shorted the speaker connection by having the module turned heat shield down, bridging the exposed solder points. I suspect the bridging the speaker was the primary culprit of the burnout since it occurred after I tried positioning the module in that (now recognized as) dangerous position.
I have not removed the board to inspect the front side.
I'm hoping someone can recognize what happened and give me some good news for repair.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2017 19:42 - 04 Jun 2017 23:27 #62828 by DrMeltdown
Replied by DrMeltdown on topic Devo 7E 4in1 mod, smoked mainboard!
Already an update...
Thanks to the following thread: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...cb-component-id-help

I was able to jumper across the transistor (and unplugging the RUDD-V connector to be safe) to get it powered up and operating. I still need to find a replacement transistor to get it all back to normal.
If anyone knows where to obtain a proper replacement, please let me know and provide a link. Thanks.

EDIT: I also fixed the solder blob and things seem all good with everything except the transistor now. I have a replacement on order: www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx...ey942-IRLML6401TRPBF
Last edit: 04 Jun 2017 23:27 by DrMeltdown. Reason: update

More
05 Jun 2017 01:53 #62835 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Devo 7E 4in1 mod, smoked mainboard!
Nice recovery. I'm sorry that your board shorted, but I appreciate seeing your situation as you found a solution. I am sure I and others might benefit from the photos and actions you posted here.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
07 Jun 2017 01:13 #62863 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic Devo 7E 4in1 mod, smoked mainboard!
If it helps anyone in the future this is a close up of the component in my 7e

Devo 7e A7105 NRF24L01 CC2500 2x3 way & voice, Devo 12e 4 in 1 & voice.
FFS (Forever Fixing Stuff)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds