copy model size limit

More
15 Jun 2017 23:48 #63013 by crash7X
copy model size limit was created by crash7X
I am writing or otherwise creating larger model.ini files.

Is there a limit to the model.ini file size if edited and transferred to the Devo (10 in my case)?

Is there a limit to the size of a model that can be copied within the Devo? I copied a model and noticed differences; downloading the copy yields a file of suspicious size (4095 characters) - stripping the junk at the end of the model from which it was copied leaves a file of 4350 chars.

Searching but maybe this is on the top of your head, thanks!

crash7X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2017 01:51 #63016 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic copy model size limit
I have a couple of configurations at 8k now. With lots of buttons and modes, timers and screen things, the biggest ones I have are over 200 lines... one tellls me 13k on the PC.

IIUC the file system in the Deviation flash is blocked into 4k blocks. So if you edit the file ON the TX you'll produce a 4k file, with padding to make up for any bytes not used. If you edit them on the PC, the size (on the PC) will probably be less than 4k, but once they're written to the TX file system they take up 4k. I think Deviation adds padding only if you edit with the GUI interface.

Anyway, it's not really something we can control, and there is a lot of space for models.

Happy Flying.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
16 Jun 2017 22:50 #63029 by crash7X
Replied by crash7X on topic copy model size limit
Thank you. I see that blocking in the file list on the transmitter mounted as a USB device. Most of my models are 4K, only two are 8K.

When I copy either 8K model from its slot to another using the mechanism provided on the TX (Model setup/File/Copy to), the resulting model is not complete. An examination of the file that is so created shows it to be 4K.

Until I find another explanation I will not start new models of any significant size by copying inside the TX. YMMV, I suppose. Tripping over this is of course dependent on one's style of working on the models. I still do more work with a text editor than pushing buttons on the TX. I have only recently created models that are big enough to be two blocks, and right now I happen to be working with several toys that all use more or less the same now larger model. FWIW I have finally risen to a level of incompetence with the TX and have been doing interesting things with virtual channels and switches. Most recently I have placed Betaflight PID adjustment on a three way switch (P, I or D) and use the trim switches to increment or decrement that parameter on the corresponding axis. Thank you for your help and encouragement. I will always think that it is somewhat mysterious and impenetrable but I cannot argue with my own success.

I see a 4 MB drive with 2.8 MB left, so yes, plenty of room for models even with the blocking thing.

BTW - I think I've just solved a vexing problem with my wireless mouse, which I finally noticed misbehaves intermittently when I have my transmitter on and nearby!

crash7X

More
19 Jun 2017 14:26 #63041 by crash7X
Replied by crash7X on topic copy model size limit
I have just deviated a 12E and I thought to test it.

Again I find that copying a large model within the transmitter truncates it to one block in size.

c7

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds