Devo 7E "Missing CYRF6936" and blank hardware.ini

More
15 Jul 2017 13:32 #63461 by Graknil
I have a Devo 7e with the 3X2 switch mod and the 3 in 1 Module from banggood. This setup has worked fine for over a year for toy grade quadcopters. I only recently tried to fly a DSMX hobby grade quad and learned that my 7e at least at that point had a range of about 25ft (full power, no joke, have the crashes to prove it). I had already done the range mod with conductive ink. So I decided to do the WK-DEVO-S-MOD. I thought the install went fine but now I always get the "missing CYRF6936 module" no matter what I do. Additionally every time I try to edit the hardware.ini (with notepad ++) it seems to save fine. But if I turn on the Devo then turn it off and turn it on in USB mode again when I try to reopen the hardware.ini. The file is empty or corrupt as shown in my pictures. I don't know if the CYRF6936 is missing because I can't edit the ini. OR is my ini being corrupted because my CYRF6939 is missing because of a mistake in my installation? Or am I suffering from 2 different problems? It currently has v5.0.0 installed and I checked it with fresh AA batteries showing 6.2Vs. Any help trouble shooting would be appreciated.

When I open my hardware.ini after turning on the controller it is blank

I believe the file is being corrupted because I can't even edit it or delete it. I either need to reformat the drive or select tools and repair the drive. Before I can try again to add the hardware.ini again from my PC

Below is a link to a full size image of my build. (Large File)
graknil.com/image_host/full_install.JPG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2017 16:26 #63464 by Deal57
Since this started when you changed the CYRF module, it seems to me you need to rule that out before messing with software. Off the top of my head i can think of several items to verify:
- power consumption, weak or incomplete solder joints, crossed wires, weak batteries, and so on. My first suspicion is the power consumption.

Maybe you could post a detailed photo of your wiring?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
16 Jul 2017 00:55 - 16 Jul 2017 04:48 #63476 by Graknil
The bottom most link I thought was pretty detailed. I don't know why that one of the three didn't show a thumbnail I will try again

Here is my install. I Used the pin outs from hacksmods website.

To test I went back and temp reinstalled the original chip all of my problems went away. I was again able to save my ini and I did not get the missing module fault. The ad said it was the S MOD chip for DEVO 8 or DEVO 12 which I thought was the chip I needed to get. Unless there are alternate hook up directions or I bought the wrong chip I don't know what to do different.

This is the chip I bought and installed. http://www.hobbyman.com/walkera-wk-devo-s-mod-devo-8-or-12-to-devo-8s-or-12s-upgrade-module.html?search=devo&page=2

Now that I am digging deeper I am getting confused this link on the forum reverses MISO and MOSI compared to the hacksmods website. I have now tried it both ways. Same result missing module, corrupt hardware.ini
https://www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-discussions/2498-8s-mod-range-mod-devo-7e
Last edit: 16 Jul 2017 04:48 by Graknil. Reason: additional information

More
16 Jul 2017 12:17 #63481 by Deal57
Sorry, I totally missed your link! The wiring looks clean, but looking at the pins I wonder if you've swapped cs with 5v? On the SMOD board, pin 1 is yellow, and goes to the leftmost pin on the 7e. But your wiring has it going to pin 6. And pin 6 on the SMOD is going to pin 1. That could be a problem.

More
16 Jul 2017 12:43 #63482 by Graknil
Thank You. I stared and stared at the schematic before and after I hooked this all up. I am really bummed I missed that. Do you think I fried the chip.

More
16 Jul 2017 12:50 #63483 by Deal57
Putting 5v onto a 3.3v circuit may be a problem, but not always. On the other hand, using 3.3v logic-level on the 5v Vcc probably won't hurt. Try the swap and let us know.

More
21 Jul 2017 04:09 #63538 by Graknil
Everything is working fine. Now MOSI and MISO are connected per hacksmods version and I corrected the 5v. It is binding with DSMX rx. Thanks for all of the help.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds