Devo 7e: 3 position switch to select 3 flight mode

More
06 Sep 2017 02:57 #64219 by MikeNH
On my Devo 7e I was hoping to avoid cracking open the tx to install a 3 position switch to select one of three flight modes. After spending hours configuring the throttle trim switch to use on my LHI 250, I was disappointed when the switch "... returning to center when released." just as the Deviation user manual says.

Looking at the other virtual switch choices, I don't see much of a difference in behaviors. So my question is, is it true to say that the virtual switch capability can't be used to select one of three flight modes in a way that the selection will remain?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2017 03:11 - 06 Sep 2017 03:17 #64220 by ajtank
I am unsure what you have done as you have not posted your configuration. However the trim switch can be configured in different ways.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Sep 2017 03:17 by ajtank.

More
06 Sep 2017 03:30 #64221 by MikeNH
Thank you for your prompt reply however, is it really necessary for me to post my configuration for this straight-forward question?

The LHI250 is a QAV250-type quadcopter. Can the virtual trim switches be configured to select one of three flight modes? There is the "Toggle" and "On/Off" which can probably be used to select one of two flight modes but can a virtual trim switch be configured to select one of three flight modes? I was disappointed that the "3-Pos" virtual trim switch cannot.

Again, I thank you for your response.
Mike

More
06 Sep 2017 04:02 - 06 Sep 2017 04:34 #64223 by ajtank
I thought you had already tried different options but actually you tried only the latest 3-pos option. Although your question seemed simple, your description was ambiguous. Here is a suggestion setting the trim step size to 100 and the output will stay until you press the trim in another direction. This is for a devo 10 and you need to amend the names of the trims to your throttle trims.

[channel12]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=virt1
dest=ch12
[trim1]
src=virt1
pos=TRIM_L+
neg=TRIM_L-
step=100
value=0,0,0
Last edit: 06 Sep 2017 04:34 by ajtank.

More
06 Sep 2017 11:07 #64232 by MikeNH
That's great news! Later today I will make the adjustment and update this thread with the results.

Does this mean that the user manual for the Devo 7e should be changed to reflect this capability? If so, I will learn the process for updating the user manual as a small contribution to the Deviation project.

Thank you.

More
06 Sep 2017 11:56 #64233 by mwm
The capability is in the user manual, in that it documents all the values you need to set. But the manual is a reference manual, not a collection of how to guides or tutorials, so how you can use these to get a the way switch isn't covered explicitly, any more than how you can use them to get a five way switch or a virtual analog channel. The correct place to document this would be the wiki. But we need to start a section for such.

FWIW, all three of those settings are covered in rc.mired.org/p/writing-deviationtx-model.html .

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
06 Sep 2017 12:27 #64235 by mwm
I decided that having that section was import enough to warrant starting it before breakfast. Youi'll find a page on programming guides at www.deviationtx.com/wiki/guides , and it's linked from the main page as well.

I started it with links to my tutorials and my first really cool programming trick. Please feel free to add things to it, or remove the links to my pages if you think they are inappropriate or dated.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
06 Sep 2017 19:34 - 06 Sep 2017 19:38 #64250 by MikeNH
This is great in that this provides the flight mode choices flexibility without the need to solder and drill the Devo 7e for a 3 position switch. The Throttle Trim switch now chooses one of 3 flight mode.

Now for the cherry on top... Is there any way that the home screen of the Devo 7e can be configured to display switch position 1, 2 or 3?

This is the model.ini that got me to the point where the switch selects a flight mode and is persistent until the switch is moved up or down again. Thank you!

I will try to learn more about this and contribute to the documentation as I believe this could be a very popular option based on all the YouTube videos about a 3 position switch mod.

name=LSI 250
mixermode=Advanced
icon=MULTI.BMP
type=multi
[radio]
protocol=DEVO
num_channels=7
fixed_id=783595
tx_power=150mW

[protocol_opts]
Telemetry=On

[channel1]
failsafe=0
template=simple
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch1

[channel2]
failsafe=0
template=simple
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2

[channel3]
failsafe=-125
template=simple
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3

[channel4]
failsafe=0
template=simple
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4

[channel5]
max=100
min=-100
template=complex
[mixer]
src=Virt1
dest=Ch5
switch=Ch5
scalar=0
curvetype=3point
points=0,0,0

[channel6]
max=100
min=-100

[channel7]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=HOLD1
dest=Ch7

[trim1]
src=Ch5
pos=TRIMLV+
neg=TRIMLV-
step=190
switch=Virt1
value=100,0,0
[trim2]
src=RIGHT_V
pos=TRIMRV+
neg=TRIMRV-
value=-1,0,0
[trim3]
src=LEFT_H
pos=TRIMLH+
neg=TRIMLH-
[trim4]
src=RIGHT_H
pos=TRIMRH+
neg=TRIMRH-
[timer1]
src=AIL
[timer2]
type=countdown
src=THR
time=300
[timer3]
type=countdown
time=10
[safety]
Auto=min
[gui-128x64]
V-trim=59,10,1
H-trim=5,59,3
V-trim=65,10,2
H-trim=74,59,4
Small-box=2,22,Ch3
Small-box=2,31,Timer1
Small-box=2,40,Timer2
Model=75,20
Battery=102,1
Toggle=4,10,0,3,0,None
Toggle=13,10,0,5,0,None
Toggle=22,10,0,4,0,None
Toggle=31,10,0,0,0,None
Toggle=40,10,0,0,0,None
TxPower=102,7
quickpage1=Telemetry monitor
Last edit: 06 Sep 2017 19:38 by MikeNH. Reason: Typo and additional thought

More
07 Sep 2017 01:12 - 07 Sep 2017 09:35 #64255 by ajtank
Perhaps I am wrong but the screen can show at most 2 states for the virtual switches. Only the hard switches can be configured to have up to 3 states. I don't think this is documented in the manual. I just found the results by trial.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2017 09:35 by ajtank.

More
09 Sep 2017 14:47 #64300 by MikeNH
I can't say enough good things about the developers and other contributors to this effort. The 3 position virtual switch worked perfectly. On my test flight I had the 3 positions configured for Attitude, Rattitude and Rate modes. The trim switch beeped when triggered letting me know the position. When switching to Rate mode, the quad got out of my beginner control and splashed into a distant lake.

I'm now on to another LHI 250 Pro build but this time I'm going to use the Revolution controller and RTH as failsafe.

Once I learn more, I'd like to add to the documentation for enabling the virtual switches. Also, if the switch position can be displayed on the Devo 7e transmitter home page, that's also terrific. I look forward to being able to contribute in this way once I learn what I am doing.:P

More
15 Oct 2017 20:12 #65081 by MikeNH
As promised, I wanted to provide some contribution to this great project; Librepilot/Deviation. I created a "How-To" doc for the 3 position virtual switch. It can be found here:

www.deviationtx.com/wiki/adding_3_positi...al_switch_to_devo_7e

I've also edited the "Getting Started" document to include a link to the Tutorials and How-To page.

Again, thanks for all the good work that has been bringing me great joy with these new and fun challenges.

Mike

More
15 Oct 2017 20:22 #65082 by FDR
Thanks!

Just an advise: instead of taking pictures of the display you could use the emulator from which you can make snapshots with the print screen button...

More
15 Oct 2017 21:03 #65084 by MikeNH
Emulator? I'll look into that. Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds