Update firmware on XM Frsky receiver

More
12 Oct 2017 10:08 - 12 Oct 2017 10:12 #64978 by Newman
Update firmware on XM Frsky receiver was created by Newman
I am trying to use my Devo7E with this XM Frsky receiver Apparently there are two different firmware versions - a European and non EU version.

The receiver I have is non compatible with the Deviation firmware v5.0.0-6255503 that I am using. This this video identifies this general issue. I am getting the solid green LED with the flashing red LED that he indicates is due to this firmware incompatibility between the Devo firmware and the XM receiver firmware.

In another video he does show how to update the RX firmware on a different Frsky RX, but he is using a Taranis.

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this issue please and sorry about all the links but they help explain my issue :cheer:
Last edit: 12 Oct 2017 10:12 by Newman. Reason: Add link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2017 16:06 #64998 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Update firmware on XM Frsky receiver
For this receiver select the FrskyX protocol. A nightly build is required - FrskyX is not included in 5.0. Click ENT while on the protocol box to access protocol options. Set the Format option to FCC or EU to match the firmware on your receiver.

A cc2500 radio is required for this protocol. Depending on what module is installed you may need to adjust the Freq-Fine option to successfully bind. Try up and down in intervals of 10.

More
12 Oct 2017 18:37 - 12 Oct 2017 19:19 #65001 by Newman
Replied by Newman on topic Update firmware on XM Frsky receiver
Thanks for that information Hexfet. I see where I can adjust the Freq-Fine option but not select format options. I suppose that this will only be available after I flash the nightly build though?

This is the module I fitted into the Devo

I appreciate your help and also when I put the 7E into programming mode, it is not showing up in available devices in the Dfuse tool. It shows up as STM bootloader in Windows 7 device manager but that's another problem that I need to sort out so I can flash the nightly build :)
Last edit: 12 Oct 2017 19:19 by Newman.

More
12 Oct 2017 23:34 - 12 Oct 2017 23:44 #65010 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Update firmware on XM Frsky receiver
Tested and working with XM+ (FCC) and XSR (FCC)
www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/6407-de...cols?start=240#64946

Btw, the XM+ does not need fine tune, the XSR is on -10.
Single CC2500/pa/lna module from BG.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 12 Oct 2017 23:44 by aMax.

More
13 Oct 2017 00:35 #65011 by Newman
Thanks aMax so this will not work with XM or should I try and see? That is once I can upgrade to that firmware build.

More
13 Oct 2017 06:47 - 13 Oct 2017 06:55 #65018 by Newman
Thanks for the help with this hexfet and aMax. I can confirm that this nightly build in a Devo7E with the CC2500 module, worked with the Frsky XM receiver. I did this so I could use this RX with my 8bit AlienWii flight controllers.

I still have to actually use it in a build, sort out some travel adjustments and an arming switch but all flight control inputs are registering in the MultiWii GUI so I am confident that there will be no issues. I removed the inversion chip from the XM (image courtesy of Charlie Stevenson) and bridged two pads as advised by Gary Baynes on the AW FC Fan Club Facebook page.

Thanks also to Project Blue Falcon on Youtube for the excellent video on how to bind the XM Frsky receiver as the instructions provided from the Banggood cloners were useless :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Oct 2017 06:55 by Newman. Reason: Further acknowledgments

More
10 Nov 2017 19:18 #65714 by Newman

Newman wrote: Thanks for the help with this hexfet and aMax. I can confirm that this nightly build in a Devo7E with the CC2500 module, worked with the Frsky XM receiver.

It seems that this nightly build that I used to get this working has been removed and the link is giving a 404 error. Where can I find this build please as I have a friend who has installed a CC2500 and cannot find a build that has Frskyx in it. Thanks again.

More
10 Nov 2017 22:45 - 10 Nov 2017 22:46 #65723 by aMax
Get vlad_vy´s recent 5.0 version and you are good to go.

Last edit: 10 Nov 2017 22:46 by aMax.

More
11 Nov 2017 00:38 #65725 by Newman
Thanks aMax. I was just not sure of this

vlad_vu - "Firmware DFU file only, you can get other components from official v5.0.0 release"

So I thought that maybe I just replace the DFU file / folder in a standard v5.0.0 with this one, but when I checked there is no DFU file in that download. Sorry to be so clueless :)

More
11 Nov 2017 01:55 - 11 Nov 2017 02:34 #65729 by aMax
1000 times described ....
But,....... get the standart V5.0 from the download section, extract it to a folder on your hd.
The original dfu file & the "debug...."zip file can be deleted.

Nexts step copy your existing model files in there.... and your tx & hardware ini...(overwrite all standart files)
Extract vlads´s protocol folder into it.

Do an upgrade with vlad´s dfu file and copy thereafter the (complete) contents of this folder to the devo drive.
Finished.

Edit: ....now I know what you mean by there is no dfu file. You may not download the "emu" lator zip file but one of the
firmware files further down....pay attention......

Last edit: 11 Nov 2017 02:34 by aMax.

More
12 Nov 2017 00:34 #65759 by Newman
Thanks for your patience aMax and I see now :)

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds