Don't recommend people install nightly builds

More
15 Oct 2017 00:56 #65067 by mwm
It's been a while since the last release, and people are starting to recommend installing the latest nightly builds. Please don't do that.

Sure, the nightly builds are usually ok, just some protocol fixes/additions and minor bug fixes since the last one. But that "usually" is the problem. The is no guarantee that this will be the case, and no obligation to make it the case. A major change could show up in them at any time, breaking who knows what. The only way to know that that happened, or is about to happen, is to check these forums regularly. The people recommending the nightly builds usually do that, so they are fine.

The thing is, those recommendations wind up forever available in a blog post, or YouTube video, or even on these forums, where someone searching the net can stumble over them without realizing there could currently be a problem. So they install the latest nightly because that's what you recommended, get something that's badly broken, curse deviation as trash and go back to whatever they were using before. This is not in their best interest, or the best interest of the deviation community.

We really need either more regular - and frequent - releases, or a build that's a little bit more cautious than the nightly builds. Until that happens, you'll be doing your followers and the deviation community a favor if you recommend they check the forums before installing the latest nightly build, recommend a specific nightly build, or recommend vlad's 5.0.0 + protocols builds in www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/6407-de...otocols?limitstart=0 , which are the closest thing we have to that build and a great service.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.024 seconds