How to create a model for an unknown copter?

More
27 Nov 2017 14:53 #66201 by macalikm
Hi All,

*noob alert*
I just got a multi-protocol RF module that fits the Taranis X9D+. I've tried it with a Hubsan X4, and a Syma X5C and it works great!

Does anyone have an outline for creating new models for drones that aren't yet listed?
There's a cheap toy Camera Quad being sold at "Runnings" (a sporting goods store in the US). It looks very similar to a Syma.
I've been able to find out very little about the internal workings of this thing on the Internet. The transmitter works on 2.4GHz.
There's no schematic listed with the FCC. I haven't been able to find anyone who's posted a tear-down.
There don't seem to be any "spare parts" sites to help identify the controller board or receiver chip.

My questions are:
1) If I buy one of these things, then how do I go about determining which protocol to use?
I see from your "Supported Models" tables that NRF24L01 module seems to support a lot of this class of Chinese Toy Copters.
If I buy one of these things, will the be a way (perhaps after examining the chips on its Flight Controller PC) of narrowing down which protocol and sub-protocol to use?

2) Does anyone know of a good reverse engineering tutorial?

Thanx,
MI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.025 seconds