Devo 10 failure

More
01 Dec 2017 19:58 #66301 by crash7X
Devo 10 failure was created by crash7X
My trusty Devo 10 now seems to not function on the protocols handled by the CYRF6936. I think it went from dodgy to dead.

I happened to have another CYRF6936 module (liberated from the installation of a 4 radio module), so I installed it figuring there was a good chance it was the CYRF radio module itself.

No joy.

I need an idea of where else to look for this problem. I checked hardware.ini where I am assured there is no need to explicitly enable CYRF6936.

TIA

crash7X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2017 20:25 #66303 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 10 failure
I would check the antenna cable and connections...

More
01 Dec 2017 23:09 #66308 by crash7X
Replied by crash7X on topic Devo 10 failure
Good idea, would not have tried that next.

I confirmed no short between and continuity of ground and signal wires in the antenna. Confirmed appearance of ground and signal at the module after attaching the antenna.

I reassembled the Devo 10 and aside from some odd differences between how the binding proceeds, I now have DEVO protocol back.

I'll check the other CYRF6936 models I use later. I will also try to figure out why the binding is different Devo 12e to Devo 10. Right now I am too to set out the experiment properly…

So file under WTF. The connector seemed positive every time I clicked it on and off, and those dents on the antenna casing where the cat gnawed on it had not gone into the coax.

Thanks. It is a reminder of how fragile the end-to-end is on these things that work so well most of the time and of the importance of having some kind of failsafe. I'll probably use the 12e for CYRF6936 based flying, one day will come when I retire the Devo 10. Just wish the Devo 12e weren't so white.

crash7X

More
02 Dec 2017 08:02 #66312 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Devo 10 failure
The body of 12e is basically the same as 10 - you can replace the main board of 10 with working 12e one.

More
02 Dec 2017 14:57 #66316 by crash7X
Replied by crash7X on topic Devo 10 failure
Haha, yes.

I have a 12e, they are still cheap at ucdrone.com. I bought it, installed a 4 radio module (easy! compared to a few years ago deviating my 10) and put it away for someday. I planned to put the Devo 10 into retirement.

I always thought it would be parts from the shelved Devo 10 that would be useful for repairs of the 12e. It was somewhat ironic that the first such move was using the CYRF6936 module left over from the deviation of the 12e to fix the 10.

If I do any major work more my style would be to dye the too-white 12e case.

crash7X

Time to create page: 0.028 seconds