T8SG V2 Plus Rudder problems

More
03 Jun 2020 06:16 #76416 by sansjunk
T8SG V2 Plus Rudder problems was created by sansjunk
I mostly fly wings so never needed to use the rudder control. Lately I have started building regular planes with rudder and trying to learn to use the new control surface. Then I realized that the TX has a really flaky rudder output. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Please see the video here where it sometimes outputs almost full range and then suddenly it becomes sluggish and never reaches full range at full deflection. I am running a pretty recent nightly build (t8sg_v2_plus-v5.0.0-2f2ef6c) and here are the thngs I have tried:
  1. Calibrated the sticks many times
  2. Open up the TX to see if there is any dirt or metal filings sticking to the magnet. It all appears clean.

To me this seems like a hardware problem but not really sure what since it works sometimes. Any help in fixing this issue would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2020 12:23 #76422 by Mack775
Replied by Mack775 on topic T8SG V2 Plus Rudder problems
Do not have a T8SG but these builds have never let me down. Maby worth a try!

www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/6407-de...-protocols?start=480

Good luck Mack

More
05 Jun 2020 20:18 #76423 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic T8SG V2 Plus Rudder problems
I just uploaded the latest nightlybuild tonight and all sticks work fine. T8SG PLUS V2.

it seems weird indeed, maybe it is RFI, do you have same behaviour when in range check mode?

More
06 Jun 2020 00:19 #76424 by Волошин
Replied by Волошин on topic T8SG V2 Plus Rudder problems
Calibrate the sticks and check the integrity of the wires

More
07 Jun 2020 14:06 - 07 Jun 2020 14:07 #76433 by sansjunk
Replied by sansjunk on topic T8SG V2 Plus Rudder problems
All your replies got me looking in the correct direction. I had actually made an external charging mod where I ran the balance connector out so I could charge the LiIon batteries without having to pull them out. This cable was routed quite close to the throttle/rudder gimbal and I suspect this was the issue. Photos below.

But it's strange that the hall sensor / wriring was being affected even when there was no current flowing in the balance cable since the battery was not being charged.I have removed the cable and now the rudder seems fine. I'll observe it for a few more days to be sure as the rudder sometimes used to work fine earlier. If this really is the issue then I'll have to find another place to mount the balance connector.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jun 2020 14:07 by sansjunk. Reason: Removed image links

More
16 Jun 2020 11:26 #76481 by sansjunk
After having used the TX for some flying sessions I can say that the rudder stick issue is mostly resolved but I do rearely see that the values don't change proportionate to the throw. I will open it up again to see if there are any other wiring issues. I did twist the rudder gimbal cable to reduce interference but may be that wasn't a good idea as rest of the cables are not twisted. I will put it back as it was and see if the problem goes away for good.

More
17 Jun 2020 01:19 #76486 by Ryou
Replied by Ryou on topic T8SG V2 Plus Rudder problems
My thoughts....the T8SG and T12 products are not of good wiring connector quality from the gimbal to the main board. It is. Poor connector contact occurs regularly, making the operation unstable. The gimbal signal is a very small current signal, so it's a story that sometimes happens in other companies' transmitters as well.
I plan on doing away with the connectors and soldering them in the future.

More
18 Jun 2020 18:47 #76501 by sansjunk
I guess you are right. By twisting the cable may be all I did was add more strain on the connectors.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds