USART on Trainer Port

More
26 Nov 2012 20:11 #3254 by MatCat
USART on Trainer Port was created by MatCat
Ok I remember being told not too long ago that the trainer port is actually a USART, if this is the case I plan to develope this into something useful. At this stage I would like to ask what would like to be seen out of trainer port USART functionality?

I have my own private goals which will be available on my own repo once it is setup, however I do want to contribute to the codebase so that another feature can be available.

One of my main goals for myself is two way communication, telemetry in, radio control information out (for things such as UHF radios, etc), would also allow for fairly easy implementation of control input as well, such as a joystick to offer a secondary analog interface.

Some of these ideas will require some simple external hardware of course, which I personally will maintain some information on for those interested, but for now the purpose of this thread is to ask what would be best for the codebase with traner port USART?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2012 20:22 #3256 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic USART on Trainer Port
Deviation has a 'PPM' protocol that will output channel data via the UART, suitable for a simulator like Phoenix. It is otherwise just like any other protocol supported by Deviation. Output is 3.3V and is basically unbuffered (there's just a resistor between the UART port and the MCU as I recall)

More
26 Nov 2012 20:43 #3258 by MatCat
Replied by MatCat on topic USART on Trainer Port
It is using the actual USART pins for the PPM output? I will probably have to add an option in UI to configure it between options then like PPM out, PPM IN, Bi-Directional USART :).

More
26 Nov 2012 20:45 #3259 by MatCat
Is the MCU 5v logic tollerant?

More
26 Nov 2012 20:57 #3261 by PhracturedBlue

MatCat wrote: It is using the actual USART pins for the PPM output? I will probably have to add an option in UI to configure it between options then like PPM out, PPM IN, Bi-Directional USART :).

No we don't actually use the UART for that. It is enabled for debug output of printf when PPM is not selected though.

I don't believe so. You'd need to check the specs though.

More
26 Nov 2012 21:41 #3262 by MatCat

PhracturedBlue wrote:

MatCat wrote: It is using the actual USART pins for the PPM output? I will probably have to add an option in UI to configure it between options then like PPM out, PPM IN, Bi-Directional USART :).

No we don't actually use the UART for that. It is enabled for debug output of printf when PPM is not selected though.

I don't believe so. You'd need to check the specs though.

Ok I see, yeah I have been studying the datahseet a bit on it, not really an issue it's easy to do logic level conversion on the other piece of hardware anyway.

I will experiment when I get home tonight, oh on the trainer port itself which base of the connector is what (TX,RX, etc etc)?

More
28 Nov 2012 08:23 #3333 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic USART on Trainer Port
I would like to let the trainer port connect to a bluetooth module, then 3rd parties can develop android/ios/wp8 apps via the bluetooth.

More
28 Nov 2012 14:11 #3348 by PhracturedBlue
FYI, the CC2500 (which is one of the modules used by many RC systems) is a bluetooth module. I'm not sure if the STM32 has enough horsepower to drive it that way, but it is possible that it could.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds