Developing a universal module

More
16 May 2014 22:30 #23291 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic Developing a universal module

PhracturedBlue wrote: I learned something recently. the nrf24L01 really is sensitive to +5V. I had accidentally programmed my board with a 5V programmer with modules installed. Everything worked fine on the bench, so I put it down to being lucky and moved on. When I went out the other day to actually test it outside I found the range was basically gone. This is a non PA module used for indoor flying, and I couldn't even go 15 feet with it anymore.

So...Don't program the Universal module with a 5V programmer with any modules installed :)

Yes in my videos, I am showing how to program in both way : i) with a USBASP and ii) with the internal programmer of the devo 10. I clearly warn to NOT PROGRAM with any RF chip when using USBASP working at +5V.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2014 22:44 #23292 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Developing a universal module
www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2684...USBtinyISP_V2_0.html

Is a great option and can be used in AVRstudio v4.* unsure about v6.

You could always mod USBasp. Cut 5v+ and take power from RF module via VCC pin or replace reg:)

More
18 May 2014 09:53 #23313 by SeByDocKy
I am preparing to upload 7Go of video for a step by step MM building tutorial ...

I hope within 48h, I will finish this job and will help the deviationTX community

More
19 May 2014 12:23 #23342 by SeByDocKy
Ok ... a 53mm video ....

Far to be perfect ..... but it can help

More
23 May 2014 06:23 #23514 by JustenCase
Replied by JustenCase on topic Developing a universal module
Thank you for putting together this video! The various people who have contributed to the Deviation project are simply amazing, especially PB. I became interested in quads late last year and currently have a number of different mini, micro, and nano sized quads. I have no prior experience with regular RC heli's or planes. I've been reviewing the various threads on rcgroups.com and came across some posts regarding the Deviation project. I joined the deviation forum back on May 8th and have been overwhelmed with the amount of information and knowledge on these two sites. My head is spinning from information overload! After viewing your video I feel confident in my abilities and have ordered a Devo-10 which should arrive in a few days. I've also placed an order for three of the ver 1.3 PCB's for the multi-module. I'm a real noobie at this and have many questions, most of them concerning the multi-mod board...I really don't want to screw it (or my Devo-10) up. Is this the appropriate thread for such questions, or should I ask them someplace else? Again, thanks to everyone who has helped to develop the Deviation F/W and the multi-mod board, the video is also great!

Regards,
Mark (i.e. JustenCase)

More
23 May 2014 08:02 #23516 by SeByDocKy

JustenCase wrote: Thank you for putting together this video! The various people who have contributed to the Deviation project are simply amazing, especially PB. I became interested in quads late last year and currently have a number of different mini, micro, and nano sized quads. I have no prior experience with regular RC heli's or planes. I've been reviewing the various threads on rcgroups.com and came across some posts regarding the Deviation project. I joined the deviation forum back on May 8th and have been overwhelmed with the amount of information and knowledge on these two sites. My head is spinning from information overload! After viewing your video I feel confident in my abilities and have ordered a Devo-10 which should arrive in a few days. I've also placed an order for three of the ver 1.3 PCB's for the multi-module. I'm a real noobie at this and have many questions, most of them concerning the multi-mod board...I really don't want to screw it (or my Devo-10) up. Is this the appropriate thread for such questions, or should I ask them someplace else? Again, thanks to everyone who has helped to develop the Deviation F/W and the multi-mod board, the video is also great!

Regards,
Mark (i.e. JustenCase)

Justen,

I am a noob too and I managed to build it .... Doing it slowly but surely. "Qui va piano, va sano, va lontano" ...

More
29 May 2014 01:00 - 29 May 2014 01:39 #23736 by JustenCase
Hey SeByDocKy,

I just finished watching your video for a second time. I took notes and timestamps for the various phases of the build so I can reference them quicker in the future. My Devo-10 arrived yesterday, it is very nice! Much nicer than all of the various cheap TX's I have been receiving with the RTF quads I have purchased. I have also been notified that my Ver 1.3 multi-mod PCB's have been sent off to the fabricator for a June 2nd run.

If you would be so kind I have a couple of questions for you to answer:

1) Did you purchase all of the components for the multi-mod board from Banggood?

2) Can you provide a list (or links) of the Banggood part numbers that you used? In addition to the transmitter modules I'm interested in the antennas and the antenna cables you used.

3) From your video it looks like you added two omni-directional antennas with three leaves/loops and one straight antenna to your devo. Why did you choose those specific antennas as opposed to omni-directional antennas with 4 leaves/loops?

4) Were the SMA-to-UFL/Type 1.13 cables that you purchased 20cm in length?

5) I think I have found the correct 2.54mm pin headers ( www.banggood.com/buy/2-54-pin-header.html ), but cannot find the 2mm headers...where did you buy yours?

I want to modify my Devo-10 so I can get the best range when flying my quads. As posted previously I am new to everything RF, so I am not familiar with what I should be looking for in terms of specifications for transmitters and antennas. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

FYI, my other hobby is rocketry and includes low-power, hi-power, and research/experimental variations.
Last edit: 29 May 2014 01:39 by JustenCase. Reason: Wrong size specified

More
29 May 2014 05:11 - 29 May 2014 05:12 #23739 by SeByDocKy

JustenCase wrote: Hey SeByDocKy,

I just finished watching your video for a second time. I took notes and timestamps for the various phases of the build so I can reference them quicker in the future. My Devo-10 arrived yesterday, it is very nice! Much nicer than all of the various cheap TX's I have been receiving with the RTF quads I have purchased. I have also been notified that my Ver 1.3 multi-mod PCB's have been sent off to the fabricator for a June 2nd run.

If you would be so kind I have a couple of questions for you to answer:

1) Did you purchase all of the components for the multi-mod board from Banggood?

2) Can you provide a list (or links) of the Banggood part numbers that you used? In addition to the transmitter modules I'm interested in the antennas and the antenna cables you used.

3) From your video it looks like you added two omni-directional antennas with three leaves/loops and one straight antenna to your devo. Why did you choose those specific antennas as opposed to omni-directional antennas with 4 leaves/loops?

4) Were the SMA-to-UFL/Type 1.13 cables that you purchased 20cm in length?

5) I think I have found the correct 2.54mm pin headers ( www.banggood.com/buy/2-54-pin-header.html ), but cannot find the 2mm headers...where did you buy yours?

I want to modify my Devo-10 so I can get the best range when flying my quads. As posted previously I am new to everything RF, so I am not familiar with what I should be looking for in terms of specifications for transmitters and antennas. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

FYI, my other hobby is rocketry and includes low-power, hi-power, and research/experimental variations.

Hi,

Open my video in youtube directly and you will find all links. Most of the items can be find at banggood.

3) I Prefer to use some CloverLeaf antenna sometimes when I am flying quads nearby some trees and obstacles in general. For one of my quad, I also installed such kind of antenna

4) Can be found at BG too

5) I gave the link in the YT video info but I found it on eBay for example
Last edit: 29 May 2014 05:12 by SeByDocKy.

More
29 May 2014 20:21 #23754 by JustenCase
Thanks!

More
15 Jun 2014 15:16 #24093 by phantom8
Replied by phantom8 on topic Developing a universal module
Just ordered the board from oshpark. Does anyone know if I can use ATTiny24V-10PU? Is it the same as ATTiny24A-PU? I don't know if they're the same.

More
15 Jun 2014 15:50 - 15 Jun 2014 16:27 #24094 by phantom8

SeByDocKy wrote: Ok ... a 53mm video ....

Far to be perfect ..... but it can help

SeByDocKy, just watched your tutorial video. Very helpful and thank you for making it. BTW, I noticed that you mentioned we can flash the ATTiny with Devo 8/10. Does it mean we can't flash it with Devo 7e?

[EDIT]
Never mind, just checked there are only Programmer DFUs available for Devo 8 & 10. Thus, Devo 7e won't be able to do the flashing.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2014 16:27 by phantom8.

More
15 Jun 2014 16:00 #24095 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Developing a universal module
The ATTiny 'A' series is a low-power version of the ATTiny. The 'V' series is a low-voltage version of the ATTiny. A 'V' series is identical to a normal except that it will work down to 1.8V (at reduced frequency). An 'A' can also go down to 1.8V (at reduced frequency) but also up to 20MHZ at higher voltage. It will also use less power than a normal or V at the same voltage/frequency.

Our circuit runs at 3.3V at 8MHz, so it should be possible to use a V, A or normal ATTiny. At one time I was concerned about this and only recommended the 'A', but honestly, I can't see why I said that. All three are capable of running at 8MHz at 3.3V.

So you should be fine with any variant (though of course you need to make sure you getit in a 14-pin DIP package)

More
15 Jun 2014 16:17 #24096 by phantom8
Wow, very detailed explanation. Thanks a lot for your help and great work on the MM!

More
25 Jun 2014 21:19 #24246 by sfersystem
Replied by sfersystem on topic Developing a universal module
Nice work, thank to share .. :cheer:

More
05 Jul 2014 06:39 #24395 by SeByDocKy

phantom8 wrote:

SeByDocKy wrote: Does it mean we can't flash it with Devo 7e?

[EDIT]
Never mind, just checked there are only Programmer DFUs available for Devo 8 & 10. Thus, Devo 7e won't be able to do the flashing.

Yes I said in bad English in the video, for Devo 7E user, you need the USBasp (in +3.3V it would be more safer). But for the Devo7E, i guess it will be hard to insert it ... especially with both female and male connector

More
05 Jul 2014 21:08 #24402 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Developing a universal module
It's already hard when they are soldered directly to the MM, don't even think to have female headers on there.

More
10 Jul 2014 15:31 #24518 by phantom8
All parts have arrived. I'll try to build the multi-module this weekend into my Devo 7e. How did you guys place the antennas? I already have added 2 antennas on it. I'm thinking if I should try to drill another hole to fit the 3rd antenna, or just place a thin wire into the plastic tube for the original antenna. Below photo is my original Devo 7e mod with 2 additional antennas.

Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2014 16:06 - 12 Jul 2014 16:17 #24541 by phantom8
I've installed the multi-module with A7105, NRF24L01 & CC2500. A7105 & CC2500 works fine. However, I'm having problem with NRF24L01. It's rather strange, the V202 protocol doesn't seem to work, but KN protocol works perfectly. Both V202 & KN use NRF24L01. I don't understand why V202 doesn't work. When I tried to Bind under V202, it counted down from 3 seconds to 0 and stayed at 0. That is, the bind screen never exited. I remembered it would exit the Binding screen when not using the Multi-module. Any hints?

[EDIT]
BTW, I'm using the latest nightly build. Can this be a software bug?
Last edit: 12 Jul 2014 16:17 by phantom8.

More
12 Jul 2014 17:29 #24542 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Developing a universal module
The best way to discover this,is to go back to a previous version....;-)

Yesterday I finished my NRF24 mod and it works great with a JXD388.
Lights on/off, flips, and three speeds ( 3x2 switches), all with that
models (2x2)I have found here. Old software (devo7e-v4.0.1-ac4f0b2)

Multi modul stays commented.

BTW , how did you connect the antennas, U.FL or soldering?
My available sockets only have that thin 1.13 cable and I don`t like to solder it.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
12 Jul 2014 18:27 #24543 by phantom8

aMax wrote: The best way to discover this,is to go back to a previous version....;-)

Yesterday I finished my NRF24 mod and it works great with a JXD388.
Lights on/off, flips, and three speeds ( 3x2 switches), all with that
models (2x2)I have found here. Old software (devo7e-v4.0.1-ac4f0b2)

Multi modul stays commented.

BTW , how did you connect the antennas, U.FL or soldering?
My available sockets only have that thin 1.13 cable and I don`t like to solder it.

My previous version is a bit old and doesn't work properly with MM. The antennas are connected via u.fl connectors.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds