Single-Board Universal Module

More
19 May 2014 13:18 - 19 May 2014 13:19 #23344 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Single-Board Universal Module
What do you mean 'stock module box', and where did you get that outline? It was designed to fit in the Taranis module slot, but that doesn't look like the outline you drew. Note you need to flip it over. The 5 pins on the right should align with the 5 pins on the left of the board.
Last edit: 19 May 2014 13:19 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2014 13:51 #23346 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Single-Board Universal Module

Stock Turnigy Module case

More
19 May 2014 13:58 #23347 by SadSack
Can't find link for this but I'll keep looking.

Taken from published & working design. Could just print it see how it goes.
Attachments:

More
19 May 2014 13:58 #23348 by PhracturedBlue
I wasn't expecting the notches in the case for the latches. I only have the hollow cover that came with my Taranis, and it doesn't have those. I also estimated the pin header locatons from that. So if you have the Eagle files for the 'I' shaped container, I could adjust to make sure the board will fit in there.

I just did a bit of google searching, and while I couldn't find the dimensions, it does appear that the board is too big to fit in a futaba modulethough.

More
19 May 2014 14:05 #23349 by SadSack
Futaba case I don't have yet...

diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/rc-system-o...mhz-based-on-openlrs

Looking at that there could be more room around the edge

More
19 May 2014 14:35 #23351 by SadSack
Looking at Flytron site they have adapter for the Futaba module so it can be fitted to x9, so you may find that it may fit....still looking for details on sizes.

www.flytron.com/openlrs/123-futaba-jr-module-adapter.html

More
19 May 2014 15:18 #23352 by PhracturedBlue
Yep. I saw that. But the converter implies the futaba module is smaller than the JR module, and I think the board will barely fit in the JR enclosure. There is not a lot of space to trim the board further.

More
19 May 2014 15:30 #23353 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Sorry, I asked this already - there is no .brd file for UniversalTx in the last zip file. Is it intentional? It is hard to look at the image rather than Eagle layout.

More
19 May 2014 16:00 #23354 by PhracturedBlue
Sorry, I missed your reply.

Try this one:
Attachments:

More
19 May 2014 16:12 #23355 by PhracturedBlue
I think this is the 1st time I've fully manually routed a board since college. I don't do much board-level work anymore, and when I do, I am heavily dependent on the auto-router. So I'm pretty proud of myself for having gotten this done all by hand.

Having used both Kicad and Eagle within a couple months of each other, I can now say I prefer Eagle overall. It still has some quirks I really don't like, but doing design in Eagle is much more efficient overall. If I need to spend much more time with it, I'll need to figure out some of the more advanced features and get it tuned more to my liking. Also probably buy a copy.

More
19 May 2014 16:39 #23360 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I started with Eagle and was not able to re-learn for Kicad. Eagle is quirky sometimes - copy/paste, multiple selection, flood fill are all more or less unnatural, but overall it is much more clear, has an integrated design for schematics and layout, reasonable command line which spares many mouse movements. I also tried Designspark PCB, but did not enjoy it for some reason.

Unfortunately, all these packages has their own way of doing things and skill are almost unportable from one to another.

Thanks for .BRD file, I'll take a look from home.

More
19 May 2014 16:47 #23361 by PhracturedBlue
I was disappointed by the Eagle flood-fill. I want to be able to design a polygon and have it be filled (and treat it like a signal wire). Eagle's polygons seem to only allow auto-fill mode (it fills where there are no obstructions). I wouldn't want to lose the auto-fill mode, it is very useful, but just want something like the 'rectangle' capability that (a) supports polygons, and (b) allows assigning a signal to the result. Maybe there is a script that will provide what I want.

More
19 May 2014 17:07 #23363 by SadSack
You want a big square with bits cutout ?

Make large area then shutter areas you want clear. To do that use T restricted B restricted layer.

I use it a lot too control copper pour, hate to see icky bits :-)
Attachments:

• ovres
  • definitely in control ;)
More
21 May 2014 09:07 #23446 by ovres
Replied by ovres on topic Single-Board Universal Module
This module is htis a CC2500 SI4432 NRF24L01 in one ? if so wil this work in my devo10 deviationtx ?

More
21 May 2014 10:40 #23451 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Single-Board Universal Module
No! just a cc2500, it's a trick to have more hits on a search engine, gotta be careful :)

More
21 May 2014 16:23 #23464 by PhracturedBlue
Updated schematic. I got overzealous with my optimizations and moved the NRF_PAEN signal off the comparator pin accidentally. I moved the PPM pin to a bidi UART as well to give further options
Attachments:

More
21 May 2014 23:29 #23483 by PhracturedBlue
Airwire fixes and increase min spacing to 8mil
Attachments:

More
22 May 2014 13:06 #23496 by PhracturedBlue
FYI, the next steps will be:
a) mock it up using my STM32F072 discovery board. I need to verify that all pins have the proper I/O support for their task. The most important is the NRF_PAEN which as per discussion with victzh, I need to make sure is fast enough to switch the LNA/PA for auto-ack.
b) figure out the RF tuning stuff and whether the matching components need to be adjusted. While I've gotten some offers for help, I have no idea of the time-frame, so I'll likely need to proceed on my own.

SadSack has done some ice work cleaning up the board, so I'll definitely be incorporating that as well.

More
22 May 2014 15:16 #23502 by whiteturbo
Replied by whiteturbo on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Hiya,

First this is all way above my head so sorry if im speaking out of turn.
But it seems to me like you need someone with assembly facilities with programming knowhow and just one stage above a hobbiest i.e not big business,and into RC

i think i know a guy who could help if you can get his interest. He's an RC guy who designed his own 32 bit multicopter board which he manufacters and sells in small batches he also rewrote the multiwii protocol for his board which because its open source is used by other small makers.

It wouldnt hurt to look at his site and then maybe PM him. Little warning though: He doesnt suffer fools gladly and can be quite blunt. But he is a very clever guy who has no interest in making big bucks. If he is interested he wll, i am sure, help.
Have a look at this link www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2387 and you will understand what i am talking about, what have you to lose, if you like what you see and what he is doing then PM him. I can assure you he is very approachable and is interested in anything RC. Just be prepared for anything because timecop is definately his own guy and he's one of those people you either like or hate(i think he's cool personally)

Sorry again if im talking out of turn but you never know i might actually be of some use this time.
Ray

More
23 May 2014 15:13 #23530 by PhracturedBlue
I've checked the current design into a bitbucket repo:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/universaltx

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds