Devo 12s 3in1 / 4in1 RF module neat installation.

More
10 Jul 2016 07:34 #51509 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Can you provide a link to rcg discussion confirming that it's 13 pin? And if so and you have a contact at Banggood, can you advise them to update the site with this info.

The Devo daughterboard is suboptimal - it requires soldering and has very weird radio path to U.Fl connector.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2016 09:23 #51514 by bianchifan

More
10 Jul 2016 16:30 - 10 Jul 2016 16:35 #51523 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

victzh wrote: Can you provide a link to rcg discussion confirming that it's 13 pin? And if so and you have a contact at Banggood, can you advise them to update the site with this info.

The Devo daughterboard is suboptimal - it requires soldering and has very weird radio path to U.Fl connector.

it's the multiprotocol thread bianchifan linked above (thanks bud), the person in that post and another 2 people before him who purchased recently all received the new 4in1 module, and that post linked above also received the newer multiprotocol daughterboard.

yeah I agree about the antenna path but when it comes to the 7e all modules require soldering, but that's why I keep telling people who ask me about the 3 and 4in1 it would be a good idea to hold off and wait a while for your daughterboard to be finalized :)

I don't have a contact per se, but I will mention to replace the photo's for the newer listing as they just re-used the old photo's.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2016 16:35 by HappyHarry.

More
10 Jul 2016 16:50 #51525 by vmsdapad
Replied by vmsdapad on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

HappyHarry wrote:

victzh wrote: Can you provide a link to rcg discussion confirming that it's 13 pin? And if so and you have a contact at Banggood, can you advise them to update the site with this info.

...yeah I agree about the antenna path but when it comes to the 7e all modules require soldering, but that's why I keep telling people who ask me about the 3 and 4in1 it would be a good idea to hold off and wait a while for your daughterboard to be finalized :) ...

I have a 7E with NRF24L01 working fine, and a newly acquired Devo 8S and an as yet uninstalled 3in1. My strategy:
1. If the 3in1 requires one of those treacherous solderings to the MCU on the 8S, then I shall wait for the plug-and-play 4in1.
2. If 1. is true I shall go ahead and try the 3in1 in the 7E, knowing full well that I shall fail that dreaded soldering.
Do you agree?

More
10 Jul 2016 19:26 #51528 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
for the 8s I'm not sure if you need to solder to the mcu or not, for instance the d10 has a broken out pad for the 3rd ce line so the 8s may have one too, you'll need to search this thread to be sure though

victzh's 4in1 daughterboard is fully plug and play in the tx's that have the plug in rf board, in the 7e it will still require soldering in but it wont need the difficult mcu soldering.

if your attempting fitting the 3in1 in the 7e follow the tutorials that show the method using kapton tape to isolate the required pin, and use a nice small bit on your iron :)

More
10 Jul 2016 21:32 - 10 Jul 2016 21:32 #51529 by Fer
Replied by Fer on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

1. If the 3in1 requires one of those treacherous solderings to the MCU on the 8S, then I shall wait for the plug-and-play 4in1.

I am too waiting for the plug'n'play 4in1 but i wonder if the intergrated CYRF in the 4in1 is capable of the same range as the Walkeras version. You see, in my current setup (Devo 10, with NRF and XL7105), i use the CYRF rf for flying my long range and "valuable" aircrafts, and it does have a good range and reliability. I use the other two rf's for my toy-grade quads and planes. Does anyone know if the 4in1 CYRF module will be performing as the walkera one? Or do you think it may be better to purchase the 3in1 and leave the Walkera CYRF as is?
Last edit: 10 Jul 2016 21:32 by Fer.

More
10 Jul 2016 22:02 #51530 by llinde
Replied by llinde on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Fer wrote: Does anyone know if the 4in1 CYRF module will be performing as the walkera one? Or do you think it may be better to purchase the 3in1 and leave the Walkera CYRF as is?

According Banggood www.banggood.com/DIY-2_4G-CC2500-NRF24L0...odule-p-1046308.html :

Tested Ground Control Distance:
CC2500: V8FR receiver with Frsky protocol,about 240m.
A7105: WLToys V911 helicopter with Flysky 8 ch receiver,based on Flysky protocol,about 240m.
CYFR6936: Spektrum MCPX helicopter with DSM2 protocol,Walkera SUPERCP helicopter with DEVO protocol,about 200m,
NRF24L01: WLToys V977 helicopter with KN protocol,use Walkera DEVO transmitter,about 200m (If equipped with MCU baseplate,only 50m). Hisky HCP100S helicopter with Hisky protocol,about 70m.

More
11 Jul 2016 16:15 #51552 by Fer

llinde wrote:

Fer wrote: Does anyone know if the 4in1 CYRF module will be performing as the walkera one? Or do you think it may be better to purchase the 3in1 and leave the Walkera CYRF as is?

According Banggood www.banggood.com/DIY-2_4G-CC2500-NRF24L0...odule-p-1046308.html :

Tested Ground Control Distance:
CC2500: V8FR receiver with Frsky protocol,about 240m.
A7105: WLToys V911 helicopter with Flysky 8 ch receiver,based on Flysky protocol,about 240m.
CYFR6936: Spektrum MCPX helicopter with DSM2 protocol,Walkera SUPERCP helicopter with DEVO protocol,about 200m,
NRF24L01: WLToys V977 helicopter with KN protocol,use Walkera DEVO transmitter,about 200m (If equipped with MCU baseplate,only 50m). Hisky HCP100S helicopter with Hisky protocol,about 70m.

Thank you for replying. I had seen these range test results, but they don’t actually say anything of real value. In my case the Walkera’s CYRF vastly outperforms the other two (NRF and XL) at the same output power (pa enabled for all in hardware.ini). While i can fly my DSM2/DSMX planes hundreds of meters away (FPV too), i can only fly maybe a couple of hundrend meters with my V222, my F959, or my V911-1 (i have walked away with that because i can’t see it that far), my SYMA X5 etc. Unless the receivers of those quads are inferior quality, that means that CYRF is doing a better job. But according to these test you post, all modules perform about the same. What does that mean? Does it mean that the other rfs have been improved, does that mean that the intergrated CYRF is not as good as the Walkera’s one, or something else is going on? I am really confused.

More
12 Jul 2016 14:11 #51574 by wasp09
Replied by wasp09 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
On my devo 7e, the stock CYFR RF module was not fed from 3.3V. It probably is the same for devo 10.

Would the Walkera RF module have a better PA or benefit from a higher voltage? Which supply would the 3/4 in 1 take?

More
12 Jul 2016 14:20 #51575 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
The stock RF module has an LDO in it converting 5v to 3.3v used internally. It is done to isolate noise - RF module power requirement vary highly, so it's better be served by its own power supply.

3-in-1 and 4-in-1 are 3.3v modules, they don't have their own power supply. The adapter board for Devo has its own power supply to feed 4-in-1. They would not benefit from 5v supply, you'll fry them.

More
13 Jul 2016 06:50 #51597 by dado099
Replied by dado099 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Useful tip:
If you have to solder on the MCU the third selection line and you don't find kapton tape,
you can use instead simple aluminum adhesive tape found in most hobby stores.
Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2016 19:53 - 14 Jul 2016 19:54 #51643 by Relys
Replied by Relys on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hi, I just got a Devo 10 and have a 3-in-1 model coming from banggood.

I had a few questions:
  • Does the 3-in-1 model replace the existing transceiver? i.e. Can I still use the original transceiver and antenna setup?
  • How is the range on the 3-in-1 model? If it replaces the existing transceiver, I don't want to sacrifice range.
  • Can I attach the 3-in-1 module to the original antenna? If not, what antenna should I order (I see a lot of videos of people with a second antenna coming out of one of their AUX ports on top)?

Thanks!
Last edit: 14 Jul 2016 19:54 by Relys.

More
14 Jul 2016 21:52 - 14 Jul 2016 21:53 #51652 by Fer
The 3in1 does not replace the existing transceiver, you will still be using it and its original antenna
For the 3in1 range i would really be happy to know too. But it doesn't affect the range of the original CYRF module.
You can attach the 3in1 (as far as i can tell from the pics) to the orignal antenna but then you need an antenna for the original tranciever too. That is why you usually see a second antenna coming out next to one of the AUXes.
Let us know how it works when you receive it, i am interested in all info, as i am waiting for yet another DEVO 10, but i have not made my mind of what else to put in it.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2016 21:53 by Fer.

More
15 Jul 2016 17:24 #51722 by Relys
Replied by Relys on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Thanks Fer, I'll let you know when I get it. :) DHL said it should be coming Monday along with the rest of my FPV gear! :D I can post a guide with pictures and run some range tests with the 3-in-1 (I should be able to view the frequency strength with my RLT-SDR). If anyone is interested in my micro-fpv build I would be more than happy to share that too! Do you know what antenna I should grab? I see that the one included in the 3-in-1 module has some sort of small connector on it. Anyways, thanks for responding. I also hope to upgrade in the future to the 4-in-1 module (I'll probably build my own daughter-board from OSH park since I have a SMD rework station) and would be glad to provide details for that too. I don't think I have any real need for the 4-in-1 actually, but I enjoy the process of hardware hacking almost as much as I do flying drones lol.

More
15 Jul 2016 18:43 - 15 Jul 2016 18:45 #51726 by Fer
A guide with pics and possible problems you encounter and how you managed to overcome them, will be very usefull. Sometimes little things, like the length of the wires, or the different colors needed or where is free space to mount the module can be very helpfull. I am also very much interested in the accurate range test you say you can do. The 3in1 comes with its own antenna, but i can’t tell if it is mend to be left in the tx or if you can put in the existing antenna case, or even in an another new one.

Maybe it would work better to purchase something like this www.banggood.com/50cm-U_FLIPX-to-RP-SMA-...-Cable-p-924946.html , open a hole next to an AUX, plug this to the 3in1, and then put what ever type of antenna you want on it. I prefer low dbi antennas because i fly around and behind me when i fpv, but if you fly differently you may prefer a higher gain antenna. In any case, you can just mount a different antenna for every occasion. I have done this to my DEVO and it does give some extra possibilities, because not only you can swap antennas, but you can easily mount-unmount a signal booster. (Only problem, remember to always have an antenna mounted before turning on the tx).

I hope everything goes well and that you have your tx ready soon.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 18:45 by Fer.

More
17 Jul 2016 04:00 #51779 by wasp09
My devo 10 antennea connector is the reverse of all the RF cables/modules/booster I have. Devo 10 has the centre pin on the antenna side, but all others have the centre pin on the TX/RX side. We cannot really use the devo 10 antenna on the scoket referred by your link and vice versa. I haven't found such adaptor to make them connectable yet.

More
17 Jul 2016 04:53 - 17 Jul 2016 05:13 #51780 by valley_nomad
Replied by valley_nomad on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Haven't visited this forum for a while. Just have some time now to start my Devo 10 mod. I got a 3-in-1 from the 2nd batch. But I am thinking about using new 4-in-1 as it needs only three wires connection with Devo 10 and no extra antenna. Most importantly, it doesn't have LNA issue. Is this module available now besides Taobao where it is on sale for about $35? I also would appreciate it very much if anyone who fortunately has used it could share his/her view on its performance.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2016 05:13 by valley_nomad.

More
17 Jul 2016 10:32 #51783 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Fer wrote:

snipp
. I prefer low dbi antennas because i fly around and behind me when i fpv, but if you fly differently you may prefer a higher gain antenna. In any case, you can just mount a different antenna for every occasion. I have done this to my DEVO and it does give some extra possibilities, because not only you can swap antennas, but you can easily mount-unmount a signal booster. (Only problem, remember to always have an antenna mounted before turning on the tx).

I hope everything goes well and that you have your tx ready soon.

No problem at all if you get accustomed to put a dummy load on when the antenna is off.
For the SMA connector they are quite small (from 1/8 to 1/4 W)
www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-male-1-8-W-RF-coaxi...t-Ship-/111502426122
www.banggood.com/SMA-Male-RF-Coaxial-Ter...50-Ohm-p-927353.html

Unluckily for the RP-SMA connector I could not find any smaller than one Watt .
www.surveilzone.com/dummy-load-rpsma-1w-...ination-loads-pa1231

So I build some of my own.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
17 Jul 2016 12:32 #51786 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

wasp09 wrote: My devo 10 antennea connector is the reverse of all the RF cables/modules/booster I have. Devo 10 has the centre pin on the antenna side, but all others have the centre pin on the TX/RX side. We cannot really use the devo 10 antenna on the scoket referred by your link and vice versa. I haven't found such adaptor to make them connectable yet.

Good selection of of sma to rp-sma adapters on eBay. The stock devo usually has an rp-sma female connector with the center pin in the connector. Yours is sma female. So I think you need an SMA male antenna or an sma male to RPSMA female adapter. Here's one: SMA male to RP-SMA female adapter

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
17 Jul 2016 13:22 #51788 by wasp09

Deal57 wrote:

wasp09 wrote: My devo 10 antenna connector is the reverse of all the RF cables/modules/booster I have. Devo 10 has the centre pin on the antenna side, but all others have the centre pin on the TX/RX side. We cannot really use the devo 10 antenna on the scoket referred by your link and vice versa. I haven't found such adaptor to make them connectable yet.

Good selection of of sma to rp-sma adapters on eBay. The stock devo usually has an rp-sma female connector with the center pin in the connector. Yours is sma female. So I think you need an SMA male antenna or an sma male to RPSMA female adapter. Here's one: SMA male to RP-SMA female adapter

That adaptor would allow my boost antenna to connected to devo 10, but we need the reverse to make use of the stock devo 10 antenna for say the nrf24l01 module, 2W booster or cable mentioned above. :)

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds