Voice alerts test build

More
12 Dec 2015 12:20 #40856 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Voice alerts test build
The wiring is going to be similar for all supported modules: Power as for the RF modules (either 3.3 or 5 volts, depending on what it needs), then connections to the trainer port from the board Tx, Rx and ground lines. Don't know if you'll need the Tx output just yet, but eventually I want to be able to read file names from the storage and let you assign names to telemetry alerts, model events (power on, power off, model save, etc.) and channel beeps.

I'll be adding wiring instructions to the readme in the build with DFMini support. But again - I don't know if I'll have project time for it until next month. You might hook it up to an arduino - or better yet, an STM32 board - and verify that you can get to work at all. I could push the repo I use for my STM32 dev board, which just reads digits from one serial line, then tries to play the file associated with that beep number via the board on a second port.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2015 16:41 #40979 by mwm
Speaker hookup.

Ok, I picked up the Radio Shack speaker - and don't get enough volume out of the AudioFX board for it to be usable. It's just sitting lose on my desk with the leads wired into the speaker output on that board. This works fine with the first speaker I tested with - but it's to large to fit in a 10.

Is there something in the hookup I'm missing? Maybe I'm overpowering the speaker somehow?

More
16 Dec 2015 17:45 #40981 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Voice alerts test build
I don't have the Adafruit board, so I'm just looking at schematics. Do you have the headphone out version or the amplified version? If it's the headphone out, the schematics show the output is not amplified, so it will basically only work with headphones or powered speakers. The amplified version should drive any small speaker.

I have a couple of small 2 channel amps around. They're inexpensive and run on 5v. I bought them for the DFPlayer but it turns out I didn't need them.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
17 Dec 2015 15:40 #41004 by mwm
I've got the amplified version. I have a number of different small speakers, but the only thing that's provided any volume is a tweeter I ripped out of a bookshelves speaker, and its too large to fit in even a 10...

More
17 Dec 2015 17:54 #41005 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Voice alerts test build
What about one of the tiny speakers out of one of those talking birthday cards? Or perhaps salvage one from a talking toy animal ect...

More
17 Dec 2015 19:06 #41006 by Deal57
You've probably already tried it, but maybe turning up or turning down the volume you'll get sound. I'm looking at a couple of examples where users have hooked up the amplified board (#2210) and reported issues; in fact there is a recent support response in their forum stating that the amplifier has "had some issues".

More
19 Dec 2015 15:14 #41035 by JOHNHENDRY
Replied by JOHNHENDRY on topic Voice alerts test build
Excellent... After using the DX9 not having voice feels like being blind... great confidence builder that eliminates the time of uncertainty. I like short quick voice alerts that provide the information as fast as possible in case I hit the wrong switch to avoid hitting anything else ;-)

More
05 Jan 2016 05:56 #41392 by magic_marty
Has anybody had any luck changing the code for the DFmini player install ? I looked at it but it is WAY over my head sorry to say..:(
Looking forward to it..Thanks all..
<Marty>

More
09 Jan 2016 22:33 #41576 by mwm
Well, I'm working on this again - briefly, anyway.

Still no joy with small speakers, using either the audiofx board or the dfplayer mini (got it working with the arduino example). The only thing that produces an output I can hear without putting my ear next to the speaker is a big tweater I ripped from an otherwise dead speaker. That includes the RS speakers recommended, as well as a couple of other small speakers. I got a sparkfun gift cert for the holidays, and threw in a couple of cheap speakers from them as well.....

I'm also scheduled for surgery Tuesday, and don't know if that will mean I won't be able to work on it, or will have more time for it as I know I won't be able to fly for ~6 weeks.

More
09 Jan 2016 23:10 #41578 by magic_marty
i placed a order from pololu for some 5v step down converters and while i was at it ordered one of there mini speakers ..Haven't tried it out yet tho...i also pulled one from a old parts computer to try at some point..

More
11 Jan 2016 12:28 #41622 by mwm
Ok, I've just uploaded a new version of the Voice-Alerts test build with the DFPlayer Mini support www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2038...s_Solo_Pro_180_.html

This one is updated to the latest mainstream code: it has the Devo6S extra inputs support and a collection of new protocols over the old one.

I've included a zip of the image file for the AudioFX board if anyone is using that, as well as a zip of the files for the DFPlayer mini.

Each transmitter build includes the file system, which should have the updated hardware.ini noting the new features. They should also have VOICEALERTS.md, which describes (roughly, anyway) the required hardware connections and functionality. All of my testing has been done with the trainer/serial debug cable, but it should work with an internal module as the data connections are just wires. I wouldn't recommend trying that unless you're familiar with adding RF modules, though.

I'm going in for surgery tomorrow morning, and have to get ready today. I hope to make it back later today, but maybe not, and no idea after that. For those interested, all the sources have been pushed to ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/mwm/deviation.

More
11 Jan 2016 18:24 #41639 by gdenton
Replied by gdenton on topic Voice alerts test build
mwm, hope everything goes well tomorrow, hope it's not too serious.

More
11 Jan 2016 18:27 #41640 by magic_marty
Defiantly going to give this a try asap, at first i will attempt to hook up via the trainer port and use a external 5v supply to the DFmini..If all goes well (fingers crossed) I will see about moving the player internally but i'm not sure the devo12 has 5v from the board as it runs off a single cell lipo..the voltage on the screen shows 4v and below so i assume i will have to use a pololu 5v step up to get 5v to the mini player which is no problem cause there easy to solder up and are very tiny in size..
I noticed when installing the NRF module that the devo12 and 12s has on the pcb next to where the module hooks up a tx and rx pin, does anybody know what those pins are for? Perhaps they are the same output/input as PPM? if so i could simply hook the mini player to those?..The speaker i got from pololu is 30mm which could be to large for my devo12, i haven't measured the one in the 12 yet but the pololu speaker is in a plastic case so perhaps removing it from the plastic case will get it close to 25mm if that's the size i need for the 12...Knowing Walkera they probably used the same size beeper in most if not all there transmitters..I will report back as soon as i get this hooked up and i am sure will have a few questions and perhaps some suggestions...
Thank you so much for your hard work on this and other Deviation projects..
And good luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery for you..
<Marty>

More
12 Jan 2016 07:40 #41659 by magic_marty
My first attempt failed ...i got the mini player playing the audio files but no joy getting the tx to play them...actually not sure just how to get the tx to play them? i hooked up externally using jumpers on the trainer cord and used a single cell lipo to power the mini player..The mini speaker i got from pololu works pretty nice and sounds good and clear but could use a bit more volume ..Is the tx still supposed to beep once the firmware is upgraded? mine still beeps when turning it on...do i need to use the file system or can i leave the current one on the tx? I did change the hardware.ini file and enabled the extended audio parameter..The file system on the tx is the one from the test beep build...I'm sure it's something i am doing wrong and will try again later as it's getting late now...I will post any progress if any..

More
12 Jan 2016 18:14 #41678 by magic_marty
I have the tx not beeping now but still no voice from the dfmini ...here is how i have the hardware.ini set perhaps something is incorrect i will tinker a bit more tonight..
;Only useful for transmitters with an after-market vibration motor
;enable-haptic=1
;
;switch_types: 3x2, 3x1, 2x2
;extra-switches=
;
; extended_audio: audiofx, dfplayer
extended-audio=dfplayer
;
;button_types: trim-all, trim-(left|right)-(up|down|both)
;May occur more than once if necessary.
;extra-buttons=
;
[modules]
; there is no need to enable the cyrf6936 module unless
; it is wired to an alternate port. It is Enabled automatically otherwise
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
; has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
; enable-a7105 = A13
; has_pa-a7105 = 1
; enable-cc2500 = A14
; has_pa-cc2500 = 1
; enable-nrf24l01 = A14
; has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
; enable-multimod = A13
Also i haven't tried putting a 1k resister on the rx line yet perhaps that is what i am missing..

More
12 Jan 2016 18:49 - 13 Jan 2016 13:17 #41683 by Deal57
When I run the DFPlayer from my Arduino Pro Mini (5v), it needs the 1k resistor on the TX and RX line. I ran the power from a 5v regulator connected to a 2s battery, but it seemed to be most reliable with a 5v Vcc.

This is how I set it up for my bench and it's pretty easy to use this way, Red=5v, Brown=ground, Yellow=Busy, Blue=RX (input), White=TX (output). It should be at 100% volume upon power-up but I found that wasn't always the case.

I hope to hook this up later this week.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jan 2016 13:17 by Deal57. Reason: Updated photo

More
12 Jan 2016 19:22 #41688 by magic_marty
Will dig up a 1k resister and also try 5v it plays good on a 1s lipo but perhaps it will do better on 5v. Thanks for the info

More
13 Jan 2016 00:22 #41699 by mwm
It should talk when it turns on and off, but that may be a problem. I test with a countdown timer set to 40 on the throttle.

You don't needed a resistor connecting to the Devo, as the signal is 3.3 volts.

Make sure you've got the Tx and Rx lines connected properly - it won't play if they are reversed.

I haven't tried a 1s lipo. I know it won't work with 3.3 volts, though. You can year it by grounding one of the pins to make it play "next" track.

Can you provide a link to the pololu speaker?

The surgery went well, but I'm probably in the hospital until Friday, and won't be able to walk unaided for a month or more afterwards. And I'm in a great deal of pain. Thank you almost for the kind wishes.

More
13 Jan 2016 00:53 #41701 by magic_marty
Good to hear your surgery went well. I only hooked up the rx on the player I will hook up the tx tonight and see how it goes I'm at work on break but I will post the link to the pololu speaker tonight when I get home. That's how I know the player is working by grounding the pins so it's something I have wrong on hooking it up...

More
13 Jan 2016 06:46 - 13 Jan 2016 08:17 #41706 by magic_marty
Here is the link to the small speaker i got from Pololu its 30mm but in a plastic case so removing it should get it a bit smaller but i haven't tried to remove it yet... www.pololu.com/product/1261

I must have something set wrong on the tx ...i used the trainer cord and simply hooked a pair of jumper from the tip of the cord to the rx on the mini and the barrel of the plug to ground on the mini player...But i also hooked a voltmeter to the cord and there is no voltage coming from the DSc/Trainer port when powered on or triggering the beeper with timer ect....so not sure what's going on but could be my tx cause i am trying this on the devo12 that would not accept the NRF module properly hexfet wrote a special code that got it to work but then none of the other protocols would work...the same exact module works flawlessly in my 12s ...

Not sure where to hook the tx from the mini player to should it be hooked to the barrel of the plug on the trainer port? Or is it going to need to be hooked to the TMS or TCK pins on the mother board of the tx..?

This is the diagram i used to get the pin out on the DF mini player it might be useful in the future... www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/DFPlayer_Mini_SKU:DFR0299

EDIT: just checked and my devo8 is showing 3.26v on the trainer port but both the 12 and 12s show no voltage on the trainer port..not sure what's up with that so i uploaded the voice firmware to my 8 and hooked it up and still haven't got it working yet..:( will tinker more..

One thing i noticed with the 8 is it still beeps from the beeper with the voice alert firmware and the 12 no longer beeps when turning it on...
Last edit: 13 Jan 2016 08:17 by magic_marty.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds