Relocating the USB port on a Devo 7E

More
28 Jan 2016 22:35 #42346 by WildDoktor
Relocating the USB port on a Devo 7E was created by WildDoktor
As most of you know, the USB port is in a really lame location on the 7E and causes you to hold your TX different when flying sims then when flying in real life. So I did some looking around inside and experimenting yesterday, and it seems that a simple set of 4 wires and a 4-pin connector in the middle (to seperate the back of the tx when you take it apart) should do the trick.

1. Buy this (may need smaller wires): www.ebay.com/itm/3-96mm-Pitch-4Pin-Micro...9:g:rVgAAOSw1S9WfFM0
2. On one end, 4 bare wires get soldered to the 4 pins at the back of the Mini USB B port on the TX
5. On the other end, 4 bare wires get soldered to the 4 pins on a USB B connector...the square type you normally associate with a USB printer cable
6. The USB B connector gets hot glued to the top of the battery try inside the back housing, sitting flush with the opening back there that's covered with a rubber flap. It fits perfectly...almost like the hole was made for it
7. Hook the 4-pin connectors together
8. Plug a USB printer cable into the back of the TX and into your PC, and fly as normal!!

This is all purely theoretical so far. For one, there's no way I'm good enough at soldering to make the connections on the TX, at the Mini USB B port, so a guy I know said he would try and thinks he can do it. Second, I don't have any of the connectors or wires, but that's not hard to fix. :-)

Has anybody done this? I've searched around and not found anything, so I'm going to try it next week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2016 05:38 #42354 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Relocating the USB port on a Devo 7E
I will point out that this is only a problem if you use the USB port on your sim. The stock firmware and most of the old school flight sim software used the trainer port. This combo actually works better than anything with deviation since you can use the same model for both the sim and real aircraft.

The new hotness is going wireless, which might work for you as well. Instead of modding the transmitter, you wire a CPPM capable receiver into the USB trainer dongle. You then bind to that Rx, which you can leave tucked behind the PC.

If you get this done, do let us know how it goes. The voice alerts mod could also use an externally accessible USB port.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
10 Dec 2016 22:42 #56739 by HockeyZ39
Replied by HockeyZ39 on topic Relocating the USB port on a Devo 7E
Don't you have to use PPM with the trainer port? I know when I went from CPPM to SBUS the difference was night and day. I wouldn't want to go back to the CPPM feel.

More
31 Jan 2018 19:44 #67319 by greenfly
Replied by greenfly on topic Relocating the USB port on a Devo 7E
I may look at doing this... so I'll keep you posted. I use a right-angle USB adapter now and it's better, but something from the back or bottom would be better.

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds