7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1

More
26 Apr 2017 03:21 - 26 Apr 2017 03:23 #61784 by Texacate
Replied by Texacate on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
If one is using 3 of the 4 RF chips in the 4in1, then one doesn't need to do the tricky soldering to pin (50?) of the MCU. Just get the rest of the wiring and the hardware.ini file correct...

But can anyone enlighten me whether or not one should tie off the unused select line on the 4in1? And if we should, to which power rail? GND, batt+, 6v, 5v 4.3v, 3.3v ?

Because the if module has pull-ups or pull-downs on those pins, AND they pull to the inactive/disabled state (which would make sense) then leaving it floating would be okay. What little documentation we have on the Banggood site doesn't say.

Cheers and Thanks
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 03:23 by Texacate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2017 03:37 - 26 Apr 2017 03:41 #61785 by Texacate
Replied by Texacate on topic Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1

HappyHarry wrote: I didn't say to change the diode bud, I said you need to work out why you only get 3.*v at the module header while getting 5+v at the diode. there is something wrong with your 7e that is causing this.

as there is only 1 diode between the battery voltage and the module header it means that if you are getting 5v at the diode the minimum you should see at the header is 4.3v (5v - 0.7v maximum for the drop across the diode) plus the 4in1 needs >3.6v to work properly so when you said you have only 3v at the header it has me worried

If I understand the +5v side, of the diode, of which you speak, one can also power the 4in1 using the the right hole for the (nonexistent) 2 pin jumper, in upper-left section of the PCB (near the header for the 7E's power switch). They are the same trace. Avoids soldering to that surface mount diode.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 03:41 by Texacate.

More
26 Apr 2017 12:35 #61796 by Chimera
Replied by Chimera on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Your questions are way too technical for me to answer, but I can say that on the 4-in-1 I have 1 of the modules not connected and I just left the pin unfilled (actually I soldered a 3 pin header into the 3 holes, and just didn't connect a wire to the pin I didn't need).

More
26 Apr 2017 13:14 #61798 by CesiumSalami
Replied by CesiumSalami on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
I can't answer your question either except to say I'm using a 4in1 on my Devo7e with two extra switches. I put a wire onto the 4th module but then just taped up the end so it didn't touch anything. So, it's just free hanging in there.

Still going strong 5 or so months later.

More
26 Apr 2017 13:27 #61799 by Texacate
Thanks. And I apologize for the technical nature of the questions... It's the electrical engineer in me... Sounds like leaving it unconnected is fine. I appreciate the help.

More
26 Apr 2017 13:51 #61800 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
texacate, from what I rememeber when I first got the 4in1 I'm pretty certain they are pulled inactive so will be fine if you don't want to risk soldering to the mcu.

yeah iirc that point is an option for vbat also, but that and the soldering to the diode are only needed if you lift the +ve pad on the rf board header as that pad provides ample voltage for the 4in1

More
02 May 2017 04:34 #61922 by Whatsinaname
Replied by Whatsinaname on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Thank you op for this thread.

I followed the instructions precisely and only wired 3 modules (cy, nr and a7105).

I am able to fly my dsm2/dsmx and afhdsa/afhds2a quads.

I was having range issues with dsm2/dsmx but once I reverted from the Apr2017 nightly to the v5 stable I am good to go.

More
07 May 2017 14:08 #62101 by jayodas
Replied by jayodas on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Hi @CesiumSalami I have the 3in1 module and a Beecore Frsky flight controller flashed with Betaflight SPRACINGF3EVO 3.1.7. I've soldered the boot pins together and been trying to bind my Devo 7e for the last few hours but it won't bind. Can you share step by step instructions on what I need to do to bind it to my Devo 7e? Sharing your ini file would be really helpful too. Thanks in advance!

More
07 May 2017 16:14 - 07 May 2017 16:17 #62105 by RobC62
Replied by RobC62 on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
You need to go into model setup, an the select the FRSky protocol. Press Ent. Within, there are some settings listed. You need to change Freq-Fine to an arbritary value and see if you are bound and the RX light stops flashing. Change the number - up or down - and once it stops flashing, keep going until it flashes again, and use the centre number for best range. Mine are usually around the 17 range or so, but I have had as far as -60 to +70 on.occasion.
Last edit: 07 May 2017 16:17 by RobC62.

More
08 May 2017 14:04 #62150 by jayodas
Replied by jayodas on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
It worked! With Freq-Fine set at -15 it managed to bind. I had to solder the little wire onto the bind pins again because it wasn't done properly. When the bind pins are properly shorted the LEDs below the Beecore Frsky FC will be on all the time and then when binding is successful they will flash a few times and then come back on again.

More
08 May 2017 14:53 #62156 by RobC62
Replied by RobC62 on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Excellent! Did you run up and down the numbers and settle on the halfway point between the LED flashing?

I must admit the first time I modded a 7E with a module I swiped from an old Skyrc NASA tx, that bit caught me out as well. Took two days to get the answer! Lol!

More
17 May 2017 05:58 - 17 May 2017 07:38 #62382 by logix200
Replied by logix200 on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Hi HH,

Thank you for your post.

I added two 3-position switches to my radio then according to your instructions I replaced a stock module with a 4in1 module. As a result the 4in1 module and two 3-position switches work normally.

By the way a HOLD switch didn't work after modifying.
Note: while I was removing the stock module from the radio, I damaged half of #4(purple wire) and #5(green wire) pads.

So I disconnected the 3-position switches from the radio, but likewise the HOLD switch didn't work.
My radio's MCU wasn't upgraded.

Do you know the factors that can interfere with the signal of the HOLD switch in the process of adding the 4in1 multi module?
My native language isn't English and my knowledge of electric and electronics is novice level.

HH, I really need your help.
Please check the photos below.
Thanks in advance.

Last edit: 17 May 2017 07:38 by logix200.

More
17 May 2017 15:38 - 17 May 2017 15:47 #62387 by Texacate
I don't see any wiring errors in the photos. Did you take pictures of the added wires on the other side of the main board? And I assume you have double checked the connector between the hold switch and the main board when you reassembled your 7E.
Last edit: 17 May 2017 15:47 by Texacate.

More
18 May 2017 15:14 #62404 by compman2
Replied by compman2 on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Check the pins on the mcu where you soldered the extra wire. If my memory is correct the pin next to where you soldered the wire is part of the button matrix. Check to see if the pins are shorted together with a multimeter.

computer nerd, hobby collector, proud father

More
06 Jun 2017 01:03 #62844 by darthnugget
Replied by darthnugget on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
I am trying to identify the circled diode here in this attached image. I think the part is a 1N5819W diode or possibly a B5819W diode. I dont have a good enough image that shows the markings on it other than the "SL" I can make out on some images in this forum. Mine was toasted (second image) while trying to install the 4 in 1 module. Anyone know?
Attachments:

More
07 Jun 2017 00:36 #62862 by kabo
some pics I took 4 u while I had mine apart tonight, hope it helps
Attachments:

More
07 Jun 2017 06:21 - 07 Jun 2017 06:23 #62866 by darthnugget
Replied by darthnugget on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Thank you. I think it is a Schottky Diode B5819W so I ordered a couple for a few bucks. If anyone else frys theirs let me know I will have some spares. Should be here Friday and hope it works.

I know I can't be the only one to do this, I have seen a couple photos on this forum where someone replaced it with a larger sized diode. Not sure what it's purpose is on this thing but without it the TX functions but it can't find the CRYF module.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2017 06:23 by darthnugget.

More
09 Jun 2017 19:03 #62917 by Maxner
Replied by Maxner on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
Good evening. The stock module I now quite well from my Devo7e removed. ;) The 4in1 is ready and the cable for PIN 13 is already soldered to the MCU.
I would like to use all 4 protocols. Can someone please the appropriate hardware.ini post - there are already different versions in the forum, so I am unsure ...

Many Thanks

More
10 Jun 2017 22:54 - 12 Jun 2017 20:45 #62928 by Texacate
The proper hardware.ini is completely dependent on how you wired up the three enable lines when you installed the 4in1. Not everyone wires them the same way, hence different examples you have seen out there.

On 7E main board:
A13 == 2nd thru-hole (RES [o o o o o] VDD), labeled TMS in some photos
A14 == 3rd thru-hole (RES [o o o o o] VDD), labeled TCK in some photos
A15 == LQFP64 pin #50 == PA15 of the STM32F103RBT6 MCU

Therefor, if you connected the pin labeled 2401 on the 4in1 to the 2nd thru hole on the 7E main board, then you represent that in the hardware.ini with the lines:

enable-nrf24l01 = A13
has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
Last edit: 12 Jun 2017 20:45 by Texacate.

More
13 Jul 2017 23:00 #63428 by nin0ngfpv
Replied by nin0ngfpv on topic 7e/Ultimate7e, adding the devo version 4in1
did anyone screenshot HappyHarry's OP? i can't see any of the pictures in OP and am at a little bit of a loss on how to do the 4in1 mod to 7e with visual reference. tia

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds