i need elevon model config

More
19 Jan 2016 23:52 #41957 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic i need elevon model config
I don't think that "switch=Virt1" shoud be there in the first mixer of the virtual channel? AFAIK there should only be a switch defined in the third mixer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 02:15 - 20 Jan 2016 02:15 #41958 by EArHog
Replied by EArHog on topic i need elevon model config

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: I don't think that "switch=Virt1" shoud be there in the first mixer of the virtual channel? AFAIK there should only be a switch defined in the third mixer?

That's interesting. I will take that out and see what happens.
BTW, I borrowed that portion of my Delta Ray model.ini from a tutorial titled "Tutorial on writing a model config file". I borrowed the rest of the file, too. Just can't recall from whom.

Wish me luck. :)

Edit - I'm back and I'm gobsmacked. IT WORKS!! YEA!!! :D Woo Hooo.

(still mystified why the model.ini worked a week ago and not yesterday. Oh well.)

THANK YOU!!!
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 02:15 by EArHog.

More
20 Jan 2016 02:43 #41960 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic i need elevon model config
Good to hear! It's good that you found the issue. Can you post the working version for any interested readers?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
20 Jan 2016 02:57 - 20 Jan 2016 19:11 #41962 by EArHog

Deal57 wrote: Good to hear! It's good that you found the issue. Can you post the working version for any interested readers?

Absolutely. Gladly! :)

(see "model11" attached)

The "sticky throttle hold" is wonderful. (thanks 'mwm')
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 19:11 by EArHog.

More
25 Jan 2016 03:44 - 26 Jan 2016 17:20 #42190 by EArHog
This time of year I don't get too many opportunities to fly my airplane (rain, wind, snow, that sort of thing). But after a couple of flights with it I am quite pleased with the model.ini (attached above) and the guidance that you guys provided. Thank you again.

The Delta Ray has twin motors and fixed stabilizer - no rudder, though I have little use for rudder while I am flying - bank it and yank it, baby. :) That said, it would be incredibly marvelous if I could control/guide the model while it's on the ground - taxi, take-off, etc.

I searched back through my old 7E models.ini's from a few years ago. Apparently the mixing (elevon and differential thrust) were accomplished in the Delta Ray flight controller. So there's nothing useful in my 7E model file that I could cut/paste into my new marvelous model.ini to give me diff. thrust / rudder effect now.

EDIT - I decided to add a Lemon Rx /stabilizer to the Delta Ray (it is a handful in the wind!). I just realized that all the lovely masterful complex mixing in my model.ini (above) won't work with this soon-to-be-installed stabilizer. (like Roseanne said "It's always something")

I have a model.ini file that I used with my 7E a few years ago to fly the Delta Ray when it had the standard stock flight controller/receiver (with on-board mixing). That Tx model file is just simple pitch/roll/yaw basic stuff. So I anticipate that it will work again with this new stabilizer. I don't yet know if differential thrust (in lieu of yaw) is possible with the Lemon Rx/stabilizer. I will put this differential thrust request in abeyance until I can sort out feasibility

Thanks again, gentle people.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2016 17:20 by EArHog. Reason: adding a new component

More
28 Jan 2016 18:05 #42328 by EArHog
Update. The Lemon Rx/stabilizer was ridiculously easy to install. It does the elevon mixing, so I switched back to a simple model.ini with no mixing of elevator/aileron. I haven't flown it yet, but holding it in hand and rocking it back and forth indicates that it's going to work very well for smoothing out the buffeting by the wind. So far (haven't flown it yet) I am very pleased with it.

More
29 Jan 2016 05:18 #42353 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic i need elevon model config
Please report back on how well hello p the stabilizer works. I've been happy with the e-flite AS3X firmware, and have to wonder if it's as far beyond the competition as they claim.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
30 Jan 2016 16:34 - 30 Jan 2016 20:20 #42423 by Apphoard
Replied by Apphoard on topic i need elevon model config
Does anybody know if this Hobby Eagle A3-L Gyro will work with Deviation and this model configuration? It says something in the gyro manual "Never use Delta or V-Tail mixing in your transmitter". Thanks for the help guys!

www.banggood.com/Hobby-Eagle-A3-L-3-Axis...ilizer-p-980587.html
Last edit: 30 Jan 2016 20:20 by Apphoard.

More
30 Jan 2016 19:22 #42433 by EArHog

mwm wrote: Please report back on how well hello p the stabilizer works. I've been happy with the e-flite AS3X firmware, and have to wonder if it's as far beyond the competition as they claim.

I will. But not today. Wind is howling - 20 mph w/ gusts to 30! Forecast for tomorrow is worse.

I took the Delta Ray out this morning about 8:00 for a test fly. Something's not set right. I did a couple of laps around the field with gyros turned off. But as soon as I flipped the gyro switch plane went into spiraling nosedive. Because there was so much wind I was too chicken to fly at a great altitude. Plus, I was overly optimistic. I didn't have enough time to recover after I flipped gyro switch off again.

When I get a chance I will dial gyro gains back to zero at the pots, and then nudge up until something good happens.

Fingers crossed for next weekend.

More
06 Feb 2016 03:30 #42651 by Apphoard
I cannot figure out for the life of me to get this to work again. I had this working without much of a problem, and I screwed it up trying to setup a gyro. Everything works right except on high rates, I do not have any left side aileron. When I push left the light elevator does not come up, it also does not go down when I push right. You guys have any ideas? I swear I had this file working before.

More
06 Feb 2016 15:23 #42673 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic i need elevon model config
post your model.ini file, so we can have a look at it.
PS when you talk about right and left elevator, do you mean aileron.
PS 2: when you push left the right aileron should go down and left aileron should go up.

More
06 Feb 2016 17:48 #42680 by Apphoard
Thanks Tom, I figured it out, it was the file I was using. I have since installed EarHogs file above and it works. Now the problem I am having is setting up a virtual switch, because I only have a 7E. Can anyone help me setup a virtual switch, I guess on the left vertical + and - buttons? I am trying to setup a switch to turn a gyro on and off. Thanks for your help guys.
Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2016 00:11 #42693 by EArHog

mwm wrote: Please report back on how well hello p the stabilizer works. I've been happy with the e-flite AS3X firmware, and have to wonder if it's as far beyond the competition as they claim.

I haven't forgotten about your request. I've suffered a string of motor/esc issues (in addition to brutal weather) that has prevented me from making any sort of credible assessment. As soon as I get those other issues sorted out I'll give the Lemon a proper test flight.

More
07 Feb 2016 00:47 #42698 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic i need elevon model config
The last section in the model config tutorial (discussion at deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/3948-tutori...-a-model-config-file ) covers creating virtual switches. While the examples are for the 10, the instructions are pretty generic.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
07 Feb 2016 15:07 - 07 Feb 2016 23:10 #42722 by Apphoard
Thanks Mwm, I got it working. Going to give this new gyro a try today, I think. I got the Hobby Eagle A3. Thanks for the help guys.

Update: I am making lots of progress with deviation! Today I took the 4 channel simple template and added dual rates, throttle hold and a virtual channel for my gyro! All I need to do now is grasp how to setup something like Elevon mixing. B)
Last edit: 07 Feb 2016 23:10 by Apphoard.

More
15 Feb 2016 01:29 - 15 Feb 2016 01:31 #43134 by EArHog

I was having problems that I couldn't locate so I replaced everything - plugs, pins, wires, solder, motors, ESC's, satellite Rx - everything except the Lemon stabilizer/Rx. And sure enough, the problem - whatever it was - is no more. It's gone! I am so relieved.

And so, back to the Lemon stabilizer -- maiden test flight this morning with wind at 15 mph and wind chill low to mid 20's. I launched with gyro turned off, intending to fly a circuit or two, gain some altitude, and then switch on the stabilizer. But the wind was so strong I could barely keep from crashing right there at the launch. In desperation I clicked on the stabilizer when the model was only about 6 feet up. Instantly the wind was not a problem. I could fly the plane almost as if the wind wasn't blowing. (p.s. there's a youtube video, if you want to see)

A little later in the flight I discovered that gyro gains were a bit too high. I used a knob on Tx and eased back. The oscillation / tail wagging disappeared, and I was done tweaking. I had to leave after on pack - too cold.

I went back later that afternoon. The wind had died and temp was low 50's - pleasant. The Delta Ray was so smooth and easy to fly.

I have absolutely no experience with other hardware to compare this experience to - except the original SAFE flight controller from HH. I'd say the Lemon compares reasonably well to that - except no self-leveling and no panic button - which I didn't want anyway.

Also, I have tweaked that model.ini file - added FMODE rates and the sticky throttle, added the Lemon Rx gyro switch and put master gain on a knob and got the screen display the way I like. So now I have two model.ini files for the Delta Ray with brushless motors - one that does the elevon mixing in the Tx for delta wing with no on-board stabilizer, and a simpler model.ini for use when the FC/gyro does the elevon mixing. If anyone's interested.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 01:31 by EArHog. Reason: add ref. to YouTube

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds