Instructions for making model icons

More
19 Sep 2012 12:59 - 09 Oct 2012 17:27 #1744 by PhracturedBlue
Instructions for making model icons was created by PhracturedBlue
Model icons must be saved as 16-bit BMP files in either RGB565 (non-transparent) or ARGB1555 (transparent) format.

Here are the instructions I posted earlier:
"Open the bmp by File->Open or draggig it into GIMP (I recommend setting Windows->Single Window Mode in order to make Gimp easier to use)

Then do File->Export To
name the file <file>.bmp
Open 'Advanced' and set the type to either RGB565 or ARGB1555 depending on if you have transparency or not (both in the 16bit section)
If you are using Gimp2.8, then select 'Compatibility Options' and enable 'Do not write color space information'
Then save and you are done.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2012 17:27 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2012 23:55 - 05 Dec 2012 23:56 #3687 by deewee8
Replied by deewee8 on topic Instructions for making model icons
Best option is to save transparent to make the model icons universally compatible with any color of wallpaper. Don't forget to choose a transparent color first.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2012 23:56 by deewee8.

More
24 Mar 2013 11:40 #8037 by 3d-wanna-b
Replied by 3d-wanna-b on topic Instructions for making model icons
What version of Gimp are these instructions for? I've got Gimp 2.6 and so far have had no luck following the above instructions. Its not giving me any option to save as RGB565 or ARGB1555, So far I've found nowhere to change to single window mode.. PLEASE HELP...

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
24 Mar 2013 12:35 #8038 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Instructions for making model icons
With GIMP 2.6 saving is not enough - you must export to "Windows bmp". In the following dialog (compatibility options and extended options or so) you can pres on the second "+" sign and you will get the options ta save as 16-bit A1-R5-G5-B5 which is the working format.

More
24 Mar 2013 14:17 #8042 by 3d-wanna-b
Replied by 3d-wanna-b on topic Instructions for making model icons
Thank you for the reply.. I got it going know but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but seems all the images I'm trying to do have a little of the same color in them as the background and when I make the background transparent it also removes the same color from the picture as well??

More
01 Apr 2013 09:34 #8355 by jvulte
Replied by jvulte on topic Instructions for making model icons
Im not sure what Gimp is, do I NEED that, or could I do the same thing with Photoshop?

More
01 Apr 2013 09:56 - 01 Apr 2013 09:57 #8356 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Instructions for making model icons
Hi jvulte

go to the top of the forum topic ( www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-icons )
There are two stickies with instructions, also note what rbe2012 said two messages earlier about having to export the icon in a certain format.

Use google to find and download Gimp V2.6
Last edit: 01 Apr 2013 09:57 by RandMental.

More
01 Apr 2013 13:33 - 01 Apr 2013 14:07 #8360 by DarkWolf
Replied by DarkWolf on topic Instructions for making model icons
Photoshop is fine. When saving, go to:

SAVE AS -> BMP (Alpha channels checked) -> 16 Bit CHECK -> [Advanced Modes] -> A1 R5 G5 B5

That will save the file as required, plus keep the transparent background.

I'm going to whip up a batch soon of all the popular ones, with no cloud background.

[edit] actually, I'm having issues with transparencies.. I'll figure it out though and update how to do that later.

[edit2] Ok.. I figured out how to set up the Alpha channels in Photoshop.

Once you have a layer done with transparency around it, you need to create a mask. Use the magic wand and then invert it so that only the heli/quad is selected. With the active selection on, go to the CHANNELS tab (Beside LAYERS) and click on the add new icon. This will make a white heli with black outside.

You can further adjust the mask by using black (rgb000) and use a 1px pencil to add mask where needed. Then save as stated above.

If this doesn't make sense, I can put together a Photoshop tutorial later with step by steps.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2013 14:07 by DarkWolf.

More
01 Apr 2013 14:31 #8363 by jvulte
NIce!!!!!! think I about got that! of course tutorials are always fun, :) lol.

More
01 Apr 2013 14:52 - 01 Apr 2013 14:57 #8364 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Instructions for making model icons

DarkWolf wrote: Photoshop is fine.

To be fine, a software has to be free ... deViation is fine, Gimp is fine, but Photo$hop is not :P

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2013 14:57 by domcars0.

More
01 Apr 2013 15:16 #8365 by DarkWolf
Just because it costs an arm and half a leg doesn't mean it's not fine. I've been doing just great with the peg leg and been using PS for over a decade now. ;)

Photoshop > GIMP

Have it? Use it.. Don't have it? Go freeware.. So many options in freeware these days.

sixrevisions.com/graphics-design/10-exce...atives-to-photoshop/

I've used GIMP and Paint.NET.. Both are nice. Fact is, I have Photoshop and a slew of other programs for work, so it's easy access for me. If I did not, I'd be using freeware alternatives.

More
01 Apr 2013 16:27 #8368 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Instructions for making model icons
Let's give up the philosophical debate.

I personally prefer some proprietary tools (Microsoft Office is far better than Libre-Office in nearly every metric I care about). However, I've chosen to use Libre-Office for Deviation documentation despite being inferior because (a) it allows more people to work on Deviation, and (b) it supports the fodt format which works very well with VCS.

I redrew FDR's logo in Inkscape for the same reason. Having source files that are not tied to a proprietary format is important to me.

But here we are talking about pictures. They can easily be managed in whatever tool you like. You do not prevent someone from using GIMP just because you chose PS. So use whatever tool you like. You need to get the bitmaps into RGB565 or ARGB1555 format. I've provided instructions doing so with GIMP. Others have provided them for PS. Now go use whatever tools you choose.

I will note that any discussion of piracy on this forum is verboten. I assume if you are using Photoshop (or any other proprietary software) that you have legally acquired it.

More
01 Apr 2013 18:41 #8383 by DarkWolf
Okie dokie then.. Not sure how this spurred off in that direction, certainly not philosophical, but oh well.

At any rate, for those who do (legitimately) use Photoshop I will be providing a quick tutorial on how to best handle making icons and Alpha masks, plus will release a few standards with a clear background vs. boxed in as I like those better.

Will have the tut up this evening. :)

More
03 Apr 2013 13:38 #8462 by heliaddict
Replied by heliaddict on topic Instructions for making model icons

DarkWolf wrote: Okie dokie then.. Not sure how this spurred off in that direction, certainly not philosophical, but oh well.

At any rate, for those who do (legitimately) use Photoshop I will be providing a quick tutorial on how to best handle making icons and Alpha masks, plus will release a few standards with a clear background vs. boxed in as I like those better.

Will have the tut up this evening. :)

I would really be interested in a tutorial for Photoshop, especially for Devo 7e/10 icons. I find this alpha masks a bit confusing!

More
03 Apr 2013 13:50 #8464 by jvulte
Do you know how to change trim outlines, fonts, and font colors in the config file? I would like to see a tutorial for that, so I don't have to start guessing how to, lol. ;)

More
03 Apr 2013 15:50 #8470 by DarkWolf
I'll see about putting together a string of tuts soon. Workload bumped, so my freebie time during the day's been cut. I'll certainly get something together for PS though and have a walkthrough on at LEAST standard icons by tomorrow.

Maybe 7e/10 icons too. Truth be told, never messed with them, but it should be similar for sure.

More
03 Apr 2013 21:25 - 03 Apr 2013 23:20 #8476 by DarkWolf
Here is a video tut on how to do the icons in Photoshop.

I'm not thrilled at the quality. SHOULD be at least 720p, but you should get the idea.

[edit] Ok, the 1080p is up and working, so now you can clearly see text.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 23:20 by DarkWolf.

More
03 Apr 2013 23:24 #8479 by heliaddict
Replied by heliaddict on topic Instructions for making model icons
Great thanks for doing this!

More
05 Apr 2013 15:18 #8570 by jvulte
NICE!!!!!! Thx much for that!!!! :lol:

More
13 Apr 2013 17:10 #8916 by shadow
Replied by shadow on topic Instructions for making model icons
One more thing to note.

make sure the picture size is set to 96x96 or it will not load in the tx. well at least in a 8s.

I had it saved at 96x72 and it would just come up blank once i change it to 96x96 there it was.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds