Devo 10 Flying Wing Elevon mixing with different DR for ELE and AIL

More
25 Oct 2016 22:40 #55382 by Lentar
Please share your model.ini file. A search for elevon mixing gives 177 results, but I need to be able to set the DR for AIL and ELE to be set independently for my flying wing, so I can have more throws on the ailerons, and less on the elevator. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2016 23:39 - 25 Oct 2016 23:41 #55384 by RoGuE_StreaK
Hi Lentar, I'm assuming from your last post that you have vlad's template, I haven't tested this but I think you should be able to get away with just changing the switch names in the template for the two different sources; eg. leave everything with the ELE source as "FMOD#", and change everything with the AIL source to "MIX#".

If that doesn't work out, it'll be a logic order thing; essentially each mixer in the file builds on the result of the last one(s), so you may need to rearrange mixers to get them in the right logical order. I think I'd personally have all three of the ELE mixers first (FMOD0, 1, 2), then the three AIL mixers (MIX0, 1, 2) being added.

The scale and expo etc of the ELE get set depending on which FMOD you select; this is your base source. On top of that the selected AIL is added, resulting in your final channel output.

It kinda depends on whether you want to group via mixer sources (ELE and AIL), or group via switch functions (FMOD0, 1, 2). I think I tend to group via sources, as I get carried away with doing all sorts of weird and wonderful (sometimes) changes to each individual source before mixing 'em all up.
Oh, and then when they are all mixed together, you can then apply scales etc to the entire mix...
Last edit: 25 Oct 2016 23:41 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
26 Oct 2016 04:00 #55389 by Lentar
Yes, I tried to use the vlad_vy template, which gives 3 rates on the fmod switch. Unfortunately my flying wing becomes difficult to fly because at the low rate, pitch control is ok but I lose aileron authority and at the high rate I have aileron authority but the pitch axis is too much. Could I bother you to alter his template for deviation 3 for me and I can try it out?

More
26 Oct 2016 06:45 - 26 Oct 2016 06:50 #55393 by RoGuE_StreaK
OK, give the attached a burl; FMOD still controls ELE, and AIL should now be controlled by MIX (just so you have three positions). Going on what you've said, I moderated the ELE so it is now 25/30/35 rather than 25/42/60, and AIL is now 60/75/90 rather than 25/42/60
If it's closer to what you want but needs some tweaking, just search for those numbers in the ini and change them up or down. Or just do it through the UI, the mixes are on different "pages" of the complex mixer.

PS. I haven't loaded this into a devo or emu,and I'm not a text-ini guru, but it seems to me that perhaps there isn't any expo defined? You may want to set some to make things a little less twitchy.

PPS. note that changing figures in one channel does NOT change the other channel; you have to manually change both channels. For some stuff it can be a bit tedious, but it means a lot more creative power and flexibility when you get the hang of it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 06:50 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
29 Oct 2016 05:35 #55496 by Lentar
@Rogue_Streak

Thank you!

It worked great, however I had to modify it a bit.

My receiver (Redcon DSM2) has throttle on ch 1 and ail on 2 and ele on 3. So I moved your ch1 programming to ch 2 and ch 2 to ch 3.

With this I had to swap my servo leads going to the receiver (I had to move the rt servo from ail to ele and the lt servo from ele to ail) before I was able to get the servos moving correctly.

How do I add EXPO?

I am attaching the modified ini file plus pictures of my receiver and the lower portion of my flying wing showing physical orientation of the servos.
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2016 22:29 #55533 by RoGuE_StreaK
Hi Lentar, I had just modified the ini file from vlad's thread so used whatever channel layout was in that. While it's "nice" to have a pre-set order on your receiver, it actually doesn't matter a damn, as any of the channels can have the BEC connected to power the RX so ESC can plug into wherever fits. Note also that while in your devo the chanel names will show up using the "TAER" naming that DSM uses, there's nothing whatsoever that sets the source of these channels, so you can change each channel to whatever the hell you want. To paraphrase the band Devo, freedom of choice is what you've got / freedom from choice is what you want. For some the (near) absolute freedom is overwhelming.

I'm using a couple of Redcon DSM2 RXs, seem to be great bang for the buck.

The only difference between the left and the right channels should have been that one had the AIL source reversed; instead of swapping the wires, you can instead just reverse that source on each, either by highlighting then hitting Enter (as per above), or an alternate way is to change the Scale to a negative number (what I usually do).
That said, it also depends on how your servos are physically setup, you may for example need to reverse the ELE as well.

RE: Expo, I think on the devo10 you navigate til you highlight the expo heading, then hit Enter to go into it; prety sure anything that changes colour is a button, anything that doesn't is just a heading. Note that I'm using a devo6, which is a colour touchscreen so has a different interface to the 10/7e, and I almost never use the navigation buttons so am rather rusty with how to get around using them.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds