SPI capture guide

More
15 Jul 2015 03:41 #35455 by dc59
SPI capture guide was created by dc59
I ues deviation firmware for a long time and now I want to contribute something for deviation,
I have ordered a logic analyzer ,and want to learn SPI capture.
Where can I get some guide or manual to teach me how to do it? I don't have any experience
about this, please help. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2015 08:09 #35462 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic SPI capture guide

dc59 wrote: I ues deviation firmware for a long time and now I want to contribute something for deviation,
I have ordered a logic analyzer ,and want to learn SPI capture.
Where can I get some guide or manual to teach me how to do it? I don't have any experience
about this, please help. :(

I did this video sometimes ago

More
16 Jul 2015 00:11 #35498 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic SPI capture guide
Thanks Seby,
What's setting of this option?

I will try to do it once I get my analyzer.
Attachments:

More
16 Jul 2015 00:35 - 16 Jul 2015 00:37 #35500 by greenfly
Replied by greenfly on topic SPI capture guide
Those describe the number of samples that will be collected during the next capture.
The "24Mhz" option describes the rate at which samples will be captured.
Combined, they dictate a *capture period* that you should do all your communication sampling in.

- The more samples you take the longer the capture period
- The lower the sample rate the longer the capture period

You select these in combination to give you just enough resolution you need, but with enough samples that the capture period is long enough to do all your tests. Usually 8Mhz is fast enough so 50 Million samples lets you capture about 10 seconds of activity. You can increase the sample count to extend the capture period... but the file sizes grow quickly. That's why I generally break down captures into individual small single actions.

Edit: I forgot that there is a "trigger" mechanism that can be used to make the timing a little easier. I did not learn how to use that though.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 00:37 by greenfly. Reason: Addition

More
16 Jul 2015 09:20 #35510 by dc59

greenfly wrote: Those describe the number of samples that will be collected during the next capture.
Combined, they dictate a *capture period* that you should do all your communication sampling in.

You select these in combination to give you just enough resolution you need, but with enough samples that the capture period is long enough to do all your tests. Usually 8Mhz is fast enough so 50 Million samples lets you capture about 10 seconds of activity. You can increase the sample count to extend the capture period... but the file sizes grow quickly. That's why I generally break down captures into individual small single actions.

Edit: I forgot that there is a "trigger" mechanism that can be used to make the timing a little easier. I did not learn how to use that though.

Thanks for your reply.
In Seby's video ,he just changed to '50 M Samples' , I didn't find he changed rate to 8Mhz , is 24Mhz ok for SPI capture ?
or I need to change it to 8Mhz?

More
16 Jul 2015 11:07 #35512 by Durete
Replied by Durete on topic SPI capture guide

dc59 wrote:

greenfly wrote: Those describe the number of samples that will be collected during the next capture.

Thanks for your reply.
In Seby's video ,he just changed to '50 M Samples' , I didn't find he changed rate to 8Mhz , is 24Mhz ok for SPI capture ?
or I need to change it to 8Mhz?

24mhz is ok, but will generate a huge capture file.
For TX captures, usually 8mhz is ok.
For RX captures, usually is needed more resolution. 16Mhz should be ok.

More
16 Jul 2015 12:41 #35516 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic SPI capture guide
Those rates should typically be okay, but the minimum rate is determined by the frequency of the SPI clock signal. To not miss any transitions in the signal being sampled the sample rate needs to be greater than the fastest transitions in the signal (for example, a square wave has transitions twice every cycle so the sample rate needs to be at least twice the square wave frequency). Haven't tested but I'd expect the SPI decoder in the logic analyzer needs to see every SPI clock transition, so the sample rate needs to be more than twice the SPI clock frequency.

Sampling at the fastest rate possible to check the SPI clock frequency is a good place to start. Then depending on the clock frequency the sampling rate can be lowered to reduce the file size.

For some reason the SPI buses of two toy quads I've looked at have much higher SPI clock frequencies on the receiver than the transmitter.

More
16 Jul 2015 13:10 #35519 by dc59
Hi Durete & hexfet,

Thank you for both your advise me.
I try to capture my first shot, can anyone help me to check it right or wrong?
I just capture power on then finish binding , turn off.

If it's OK, I will upload the file.

Thanks again.
Attachments:

More
16 Jul 2015 13:14 #35520 by Durete

hexfet wrote: Those rates should typically be okay, but the minimum rate is determined by the frequency of the SPI clock signal. To not miss any transitions in the signal being sampled the sample rate needs to be greater than the fastest transitions in the signal (for example, a square wave has transitions twice every cycle so the sample rate needs to be at least twice the square wave frequency). Haven't tested but I'd expect the SPI decoder in the logic analyzer needs to see every SPI clock transition, so the sample rate needs to be more than twice the SPI clock frequency.

Sampling at the fastest rate possible to check the SPI clock frequency is a good place to start. Then depending on the clock frequency the sampling rate can be lowered to reduce the file size.

For some reason the SPI buses of two toy quads I've looked at have much higher SPI clock frequencies on the receiver than the transmitter.

Perfect explanation that I couldn't with my bad English :P
Hats off, Sir :)

More
16 Jul 2015 15:51 #35527 by greenfly
Replied by greenfly on topic SPI capture guide
@dc59

Yes, it looks good! I can see the clock and the chip select signals so I think your capture is working. A couple of things...

Set the SPI Analyzer to dump Hexadecimal...

Then just export the CSV file...

Attachments:

More
16 Jul 2015 21:10 #35542 by dc59

greenfly wrote: @dc59

Yes, it looks good! I can see the clock and the chip select signals so I think your capture is working. A couple of things...

Set the SPI Analyzer to dump Hexadecimal...

Then just export the CSV file...

OK~ Thank you very much.

More
17 Jul 2015 05:58 #35552 by dc59
I captured Eachine H8 mini SPI data as below:

~ 10MB Session data.
www.mediafire.com/download/2p3n5zzrbdm55...ni-SPI-LogicData.zip

~2.2MB Export CSV data
www.mediafire.com/download/vxue8tpbtyvuwm3/H8mini-SPI-CSV.zip

Can anyone help me to check it out and try to develop protocol?

Thanks.

More
17 Jul 2015 06:05 #35553 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic SPI capture guide

dc59 wrote: I captured Eachine H8 mini SPI data as below:

~ 10MB Session data.

~2.2MB Export CSV data

Thanks.

You should save session & data also via the top right option menu

More
17 Jul 2015 08:37 #35555 by dc59

SeByDocKy wrote:

dc59 wrote: I captured Eachine H8 mini SPI data as below:

~ 10MB Session data.

~2.2MB Export CSV data

Thanks.

You should save session & data also via the top right option menu

Yes, I follow your tutorial to save session&data at #1 10MB file.

More
18 Jul 2015 18:24 #35620 by S.Giles
Replied by S.Giles on topic SPI capture guide
I've been using a cheap electronic timer to gauge the number of samples I'll need. I time a quick practice run-through of what I want to capture, then pick the next (longer) time available for the real thing.

The 16MHz sample rate worked for me, and didn't seem to generate un-useably large files.

More
20 Jul 2015 12:55 #35673 by robca
Replied by robca on topic SPI capture guide
I set very longcapture times, then manually stop the process when the right events are captured... there's no need to guess how much you need, when you stop capture the Logic software saves the file until that point

Trying to guess how many samples you need is super frustrating :)

More
20 Jul 2015 13:01 #35674 by Durete

robca wrote: I set very longcapture times, then manually stop the process when the right events are captured... there's no need to guess how much you need, when you stop capture the Logic software saves the file until that point

Yep, me too. 100% agree :)

More
20 Jul 2015 17:51 - 20 Jul 2015 17:53 #35683 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic SPI capture guide
I put together these notes and illustrations to keep track of my own SPI analyzer efforts so that I could produce the same output each time. I hope this is helpfule. If anyone finds issue please let me know so that I can update or correct it.

1. Set the SPI decoder to show HEX

2. Set the SPI analyzer settings to match the channels as you've connected them. I think your channels should be:
MOSI: 1 (maybe -- and you can always swap this later)
MISO: 0 (and you can always swap this)
Clock: 2
Enable: 3 (enable is usually configured to be active when the value is low, but you may have to play with this)

3. Use the Options to set the analyzer to show HEX data. You will also use this menu to Save the capture (useful if other people need to be able to manipulate the settings against your capture) or EXPORT data (to save off the data only). I think some of the technical guys prefer the "Save Capture" approach.

4. Set up a trigger on the ENABLE or CLOCK line. Triggers tell the analyzer to begin collecting samples at a certain point. I usually set only one channel for a trigger. In my example I used a downward change on the enable line to tell the analyzer when to begin collecting samples.

5. Once things are set up, you can move the the 0 point and see the data broken out like this:

Let me know if I can elaborate or clarify any of these notes.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!
Last edit: 20 Jul 2015 17:53 by Deal57.

More
21 Jul 2015 00:09 - 21 Jul 2015 00:20 #35707 by dc59
Deal57,
Thank you very very much.
I have confirmed all my setting,

And will keep seeking my problem on MJX SPI data.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jul 2015 00:20 by dc59.

More
21 Jul 2015 00:19 #35708 by dc59

robca wrote: I set very longcapture times, then manually stop the process when the right events are captured... there's no need to guess how much you need, when you stop capture the Logic software saves the file until that point

That's a good idea, thanks!
I also follow Deal57's setting to set a trigger on clock channel,
it's perfect now. :lol:

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds