CX-10 (new red) RF sniffing

More
01 Apr 2016 15:33 #45576 by harwoodr
CX-10 (new red) RF sniffing was created by harwoodr
Hey All,

Long story short - I'm doing a tech project for a course I'm doing towards my masters degree... I'm doing a proof of concept "drone detector" - just need to show that I can detect the presence of one type of quadcopter in the local area.

I had originally ordered an A7105 board and compatible quadcopter from dx.com... but a comedy of errors ensued and I still don't have the parts (2 months later and mostly due to Canada Post).

So, I recently ordered an nRF24L01 and cx-10 from an online shop that could get it to me next day... Joy and bliss, it's a red board... oh wait, there's a newer red-board that's just like the blue board apparently. Thus, I wasted a precious day thinking I should be looking for YD-717 RF traffic.

I do have the nRF24 (connected to a raspberry pi) working along the lines of Travis Goodspeed's promiscuous hack - so I am seeing RF, but of course, I wasn't seeing what I was expecting to see.

Now, to the meat of the matter - what should I be looking for and on what channels? I've read different things (look for address CCCCCCCC or something else, on channel 0x02... no cycling through 0x08, 0x1E, 0x33 and 0x40... no 0x16, 0x33, 0x40 and 0x0E... no 0x41, 0x0A, 0x1E and 0x2D...)

The documentation on the YD-717 protocol was awesome - but I can't find anything definitive like that for the new cx-10 protocol.... which doesn't even have a name it seems. :)

Any pointers would be appreciated. If I have to, I'll find a logic analyser and do SPI sniffing, but my time is short on this (read days now, not weeks) so if anyone can give me pointers or a more definitive resource... I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2016 16:29 #45582 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic CX-10 (new red) RF sniffing
You're not going to detect the "drone" itself, unless it has telemetry. You're sniffing controlling signal from TX.

Basic approach - look at the source of the corresponding protocol, it has initialization parameters which define radio mode - basically data rate and addresses.

Also it has frequency hopping algorithm, they can be non-trivial.

More
01 Apr 2016 16:54 - 01 Apr 2016 16:54 #45585 by harwoodr
Replied by harwoodr on topic CX-10 (new red) RF sniffing

victzh wrote: You're not going to detect the "drone" itself, unless it has telemetry. You're sniffing controlling signal from TX.

True enough - but for the sake of the project, I might as well say I'm detecting the quadcopter...

Basic approach - look at the source of the corresponding protocol, it has initialization parameters which define radio mode - basically data rate and addresses.

Have been looking at code - various sources - I will have a look at cx10_nrf24l01.c more closely though... am I correct in assuming that 0xCCCCCC from:
static const u8 rx_tx_addr[] = {0xcc, 0xcc, 0xcc, 0xcc, 0xcc};
is the address I should be looking for? ...or does that change?

Also it has frequency hopping algorithm, they can be non-trivial.

Now there's a point - is that where my confusion regarding channels is coming from? Does it (specifically the CX-10 blue/new-red) select different ones each time?

Thanks for the response, btw!
Last edit: 01 Apr 2016 16:54 by harwoodr.

More
01 Apr 2016 19:50 #45593 by victzh
IIRC, cx-10 uses XN297, we implemented emulation layer for this. So CCCCCCCCCC address actually translated to something else. And every other payload byte as well. Look into implementation of the emulation layer for the details. It's in src/protocol/spi/nrf2401l.c

More
01 Apr 2016 22:09 #45601 by mjbudden
Replied by mjbudden on topic CX-10 (new red) RF sniffing
I've written code for a CX-10 receiver, to be incorporated into Cleanflight at some stage. See github.com/martinbudden/cleanflight/blob...main/rx/nrf24_cx10.c

To briefly answer your questions, the CX-10 receive address you should listen on is {0x49, 0x26, 0x87, 0x7d, 0x2f} (this is address {0xcc, 0xcc, 0xcc, 0xcc, 0xcc} converted by the XN297 transmitter used by the CX-10)

The CX-10 binds to its transmitter using channel 0x02, but once it is bound it channel hops on 4 channels determined by the bind process. The hopping channels are set as:

// The hopping channels are determined by the txId
STATIC_UNIT_TESTED void setHoppingChannels(const uint8_t* txId)
{
rfChannelIndex = 0;
rfChannels[0] = 0x03 + (txId[0] & 0x0F);
rfChannels[1] = 0x16 + (txId[0] >> 4);
rfChannels[2] = 0x2D + (txId[1] & 0x0F);
rfChannels[3] = 0x40 + (txId[1] >> 4);
}

So if you listen on the 16 channels starting at 0x03 you should eventually receive something.

You'll also need to set the NRF24L01 data rate to 1Mbps and set auto acknowledgment off. See my routine cx10Nrf24Init

More
02 Apr 2016 02:19 #45611 by harwoodr
Well, that's a special flavour of awesome. Thanks, that helps incredibly.

I beleive that I've seen those address bytes - will confirm when I'm back in front of my testing rig - helps a lot to know what you are looking for. I would imagine that two newer cx-10 units wouldn't coexist nicely due to address clashing... If so, that seems like a design flaw by the manufacturer. Ah well.

More
02 Apr 2016 04:50 #45622 by victzh
There are usually two ways of addressing a specific device over shared channel. Either use different address, or put TX ID into the body of the packet. I'd doesn't matter which way in particular is used, in the former case the radio chip handles it, in the latter - main processor. Another way to distance competing radio transmissions is to use different frequency hopping patterns. So in reality several devices even using the same hardware address coexist without much interference.

More
03 Apr 2016 20:59 #45740 by harwoodr
Yay, I am detecting when the TX is on... I can see it bind, and I can see the channels it ends up using...

Now I'm going to see if I can understand the payload and maybe transmit to the quadcopter - the xn297 emulation is a bit brain bending.

More
03 Apr 2016 23:15 #45745 by victzh
Imagine how mind bending it was to figure it out :-)

More
03 Apr 2016 23:44 #45747 by harwoodr
Yep. Nasty and appreciated. :)

Figured out the scrambling, still working on the crc part... and possibly transmitting commands from the RPi.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds