Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?

More
18 Nov 2016 02:09 #55993 by bigchase
Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol? was created by bigchase
Cheerson's mini drones CX-10W, CX-10WD, and some other models can be controlled by WIFI as well as conventional 2.4GHz RC. Some of these models also use WIFI to receive steaming video from onboard cameras.

The conventional TX protocols are available as deviation modules. However, seems little is known about the protocol used to control via WIFI. What protocol is used to control via WIFI and receive video via WIFI? Has anyone cracked this yet? Sniffing WIFI communication may be necessary to do so; have never used a WIFI packet sniffer.

Would like to develop custom control software on iOS and/or Andoird for these Cheerson WIFI capable mini drones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2016 05:35 #56035 by bigchase
Replied by bigchase on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
The closest info I've found on this is the following reddit thread related to hacking the IP video and control protocol of the FQ777-954 which I believe uses the same or similar IP video board as the Cheerson CX-10W's.

www.reddit.com/r/HowToHack/comments/4512...camera_in_toy_drone/

(Unfortunately the code posted to tinyupload has disappeared.)

More
19 Nov 2016 15:58 #56053 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
Pretty interesting read. Looks like there's javascript code linked at github in the last post. Looks like 8-bit channel values.

I haven't done any looking at wifi quads myself.

More
26 Nov 2016 04:11 #56287 by Stefan_Z
Replied by Stefan_Z on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
From what I gathered from mostly pictures in shops, those WIFI cams are basically autonomous and the instructions they receive via WIFI are sent to the board with a third wire (1+2 are power and GND).
I am waiting for a FQ777-951C module (cheapest one I could find) - I expect it to work with the iPhone just with power attached - while spitting out remote-commands on that one wire.

Utilizing the WIFI itself for your own app might be quite complex though. I would suspect some pretty obscure china-MCU plus unknown IP locked into this. After all it is live streaming video in under 5g weight and under $5 cost…
Of cause someone with WIFI sniffing skills might get something out of it - encryptions shouldn't bet that hard - or even existent - from what we know about other china-products.

More
29 Nov 2016 00:35 #56357 by cyanotic87
Replied by cyanotic87 on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
Hi guys,
I've manager to reverse engineer the basic protocol (Handshake, Heartbeat, Controls, Video).
Right now I'm able to control the CX10-WD through an XBox Controller and playing the preview and save a copy of the streaming locally.
I've done it in Java. I'll publish it on github once I have completed the first version.

More
29 Nov 2016 13:04 #56360 by Stefan_Z
Replied by Stefan_Z on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
Cool news!
I wonder if an ESP8266 would be fast enough to receive the stream and output to a cheap TFT…
That would be < €15,- for parts.

The controls from the camera-module are sent to the flight-controller via the yellow cable, right?
Have you checked what gets sent with a logic analyzer? Would be interesting to know if it uses some known protocol or something special.
looking at this spare part: www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Chee...era/32715411514.html

More
29 Nov 2016 21:41 #56366 by cyanotic87

More
31 May 2017 09:57 #62722 by sha
Replied by sha on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
First of all, great work on the code. I just have a quick question, in the your nalDecoder, how are you decoding before feeding it to ffplay? Is it some standard protocol or did you deduce it from the video stream?

More
31 May 2017 11:14 #62724 by cyanotic87
Replied by cyanotic87 on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
Thanks @sha
Basically the NalDecoder is a flow-rewriting-thing.
The codec used by the drone is a variant of real-time x264. So I've studied how the data flow is structured on x264.
I've started then logging the stream flow (man in the middle attack) and comparing the NALs in the stream with the ones produced by the android app (yes, the app stores the processed stream into a file on the device's memory).
Once I've started comparing the NALs streamed and the ones in the file I noticed some differences on them and I've tried to figure out how to "translate" the stream to match the exact format of the one stored into the file.
I made here it quick and simple, but to find this solution it took me 3 weeks.

Other approaches I tried to follow are: unpack the android .apk, try to find a library that works with that stream, try to decode that stream with every tool in the world (it actually works just on ffmpeg-based players), try to decode all the other streams (there are 4 or 5 connections going on when you turn on the drone) etc etc etc
If you need more explanations let me know :)

More
13 Sep 2017 01:55 #64374 by mediocre_llama
Replied by mediocre_llama on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
Cyanotic87,
Awesome work, Is there a way that you know of to get into the wifi chip of this model and play with it. My intentions are to make 4 or 5 of these receive commands from one iphone controller. I have tried to crack into the interface of the NIC with no luck.
Thanks for any feedback in advance

More
25 Jan 2018 13:55 #67149 by andy.stow.away
Replied by andy.stow.away on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
Anyone interested in doing the same for the new cheerson cx-of drone?

www.cheersonhobby.com/en-US/Home/ProductDetail/149

More
24 Feb 2019 14:51 #73000 by NeoFrontier
Replied by NeoFrontier on topic Cheerson CX-10W CX-10WD WIFI Profotol?
I have tried this program on Ubuntu Linux and find the video playback freezes up completely after about 50 seconds +-. And it always does that. The recording did not work for Linux at all, I had to change the code and recompile to get recording to work on Linux. What can I do to get it to play the video contstantly, I am not sure why it is always freezing up like that. I must kill ffplay completely and restart drone_protocol.jar to get the video playback to play at all and then it freezes again.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds