FRSkyX

More
30 Sep 2019 12:35 #75167 by apventer
FRSkyX was created by apventer
I have a Devo 10 with a 4-in-1 RF module from Banggood. I am binding it to an FrSky X8R receiver connected to a Pixhawk PX4 via SBUS. My mission is to see GPS telemetry on the Devo 10. However, when I go to Telemetry setup, I do not see any GPS options. The manual at www.deviationtx.com/manuals/html-devo10-en/ch_protocols.html , section 10.16 says the following:

This protocol supports up to 16 channels. Fixed ID binding is supported to link the transmitter with specific receivers. Supports receiver telemetry (RSSI, VOLT1) on all transmitters. Supports S.Port and hub telemetry sensors as well as GPS telemetry (except on memory-limited 7e and f-series) as described in the next section.

When reading this, it appears as if I can see GPS telemetry.

However, the manual does not mention GPS telemetry in section 10.17 (Frsky and FrskyX Extended Telemetry). So what must I believe????

1. GPS is supported and I did not connect the devices correctly?
2. GPS is not supported and I am wasting my time?

Andries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2019 13:27 #75168 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic FRSkyX
You can see GPS telemetry on Telemetry Monitor screen.

More
30 Sep 2019 16:59 #75169 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic FRSkyX
You have to use the adapter and hook the rx to the Telem 2 port on the Pixhawk ..Not sure where it hooks to on the X8R but on the RX6R i have it working on a Pixhawk..

More
30 Sep 2019 21:30 #75171 by apventer
Replied by apventer on topic FRSkyX
OK,I thought I was a bit too optimistic to think that it would work just like that (1 cable to the SBUS port). I shall investigate - I have an SPort cable for the X8R with a connector for the Pixhawk. I guess I need to set the protocol for Serial 2 (Telem2) to 4 (FrSky)...

More
01 Oct 2019 20:32 #75176 by apventer
I have connected the S Port via a converter to my PixHawk on Telem 2. I am using the setup as in ardupilot.org/copter/_images/Telemetry_FrSky_Pixhawk-SPORT.jpg

I have tried the Telem 2 port both in modes 4 (FrSky SPort) and 10 (FrSky S Port passthru),but do not see anything on my Telemetry Monitor on the GPS screen - all 0's I do have GPS lock and can see the GPS coordinates in Mission Planner.

What else can I try?

More
03 Oct 2019 06:05 #75182 by magic_marty
Did you try hooking a 3DR radio to the Telemetry port to make sure it is working?
If i remember correctly i hooked the frsky telem adapter to the telem 2 port and then hooked the s_port on the rx to the tx on telem 1 port..

More
03 Oct 2019 08:51 #75183 by apventer
I shall test the Telem ports with a 3DR radio tonight.
It does not make sense to me that you would hook the FrSky adapter to Telem2 and the SPort of the X8R to Telem1.
As far as I understand, only Telem2 should be connected to the SPort of the X8R (via an adapter of course). The X8R should then output the telemetry data received on the SPort on my Devo10...

More
04 Oct 2019 05:38 #75184 by apventer
OK, I tested the Telem1 and Telem2 ports with 3DR radios (ports set to mode 1 for MAVLink). Both are functioning properly. So next I guess I need to view the signals with an oscilloscope before and after the RS232 converter...

More
04 Oct 2019 16:34 #75185 by magic_marty
Correction i hooked the tx on telem1 to the rx on a minim OSD ..So my memory failed me....
Maybe if you have a different rx to try and see if it works... The documentation says it works with all X series receivers but maybe something is wonky with the one your using..Perhaps check the wires with a voltmeter for continuity sorry but i am running out of options but i do remember i had a slight difficult time getting it to work

More
05 Oct 2019 10:13 #75186 by apventer
I have now hooked up my oscilloscope to Telem2. I only see data when the X8R is connected and then the Rx and Tx signals appear to be the same! When the Smartport is not connected, I do not see any signals on Telem2. So it seems to me that the Pixhawk does not initiate communication (feels very wrong to me).
When I connect a 3DR radio (without its partner) to the same port, I do see some communication being initiated by the PixHawk - signals on the Tx port!
So then I replaced the adapter cable and immediately started seeing data being transmitted and received on Telem2 (without the X8R connected). So it seems that my other adapter is faulty... However, I still do not see any GPS data on my Devo 10 :(

More
06 Oct 2019 14:46 #75192 by apventer
I can see that the Pixhawk receives the poll signal from the X8R and replies to it. However, the replies look very similar. That tells me that the Pixhawk is not really transmitting GPS (or other) data. Any ideas what I should verify in Mission Planner?
Attachments:

More
07 Oct 2019 02:15 #75195 by magic_marty
Here is a Parameter file of mine where i have the telemetry working..Try comparing it to the parameters set in your Pixhawk and see if anything stands out that might be the issue..Be sure not to save these parameters on your FC just use it as a look and see whats different it might point you in the correct direction..
Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2019 19:56 #75231 by apventer
Well, my serial ports are setup exactly as yours.
I adjusted the SR0-3 settings like yours, since they differ from mine.
Besides these settings, I honestly have no idea what else can be adjusted.
I guess I will have to go back to using my WK-CTL01 module to get GPS telemetry back to my Devo 10. This has been a very expensive and frustrating exercise so far

More
12 Oct 2019 02:06 - 12 Oct 2019 02:10 #75232 by magic_marty
Have you tried enabling telemetry on one of the serial ports on the pixhawk?
ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-frsky-telemetry.html

Scroll down about half way and it explains how to use serial port for telemetry ..
I have mine on telemetry port 2 but maybe you will have better luck trying a serial port ...
What type of adapter/cable are you using ?

This is the one i am using.. ardupilot.org/copter/_images/FrSky_Conn_Phawk-X8R.jpg

Is it possible the tx/rx wires somehow got swapped if so that would defiantly explain the problem..
Wont hurt a thing to just swap them around see if it works ..I have done that many times and never hurt anything just be sure only to swap the rx/tx and not the 5v and ground..
Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 02:10 by magic_marty.

More
12 Oct 2019 20:54 #75242 by apventer
Definitely nothing wrong with my SPort cable! I have shown the cable in a previous post, but am attaching it again.
Firstly, my observations and oscilloscope traces (as attached in a previous post) confirm that there is communication between the SPort and Telem2.
Secondly, I have now connected my Taranis X9D to the system. I did not change any cabling! Then I set the Telem2 port mode to 10 (SPort pass through). That was the ONLY change. And bang - everything works perfectly!!! Now you do not even need a Teensy board - Great!!!
So this tells me the Pixhawk is fine, the X8R is fine, the SPort converter cable is fine, the Pixhawk settings are fine,
It also tells me that it is something with the Devo10 / Deviation combination not working as it should...
I guess you are going to ask which version of Deviation I am running - it is devo10-v5.0.0-9fd50b5
Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2019 23:51 #75243 by magic_marty
At least you have it narrowed down to what the issue is..Perhaps try one of the nightly builds ?
I'm stumped on what you should try to get it working on your Devo10 but happy for you that you now know it's nothing wrong with the Hawk or the converter cable..
I know on my 12s i am running one of the nightly builds just not sure what version it is at the moment..

More
17 Oct 2019 14:45 #75271 by apventer
OK, it turned out to be my firmware version! I was running the nightly build devo10-v5.0.0-9fd50b5 found under 2019-06-03. When using build devo10-v5.0.0-28ce50f as found under 2019-06-09 (only 6 days later?????), it works out of the box! I only had to change the protocol for Telem2 to 4 (FrSky), nothing else!

The only reason I want to use the Devo 10 radio, is because I have it, I have the 4-in-1 RF module and I have a number of quads from different manufacturers (Hubsan, Cheerson, etc.)

Only one thing still bothers me. On the GPS screen, I now see the altitude above sea level and not above ground level. Is there any way to change this?

More
17 Oct 2019 14:55 #75272 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic FRSkyX
On Telemetry Monitor page try long press "UP" button, it will reset the altitude to 0 (ground level) and save offset to model file.

More
17 Oct 2019 15:47 #75273 by apventer
Pressing the Up key while displaying the Telemetry GPS data, does nothing except for running through the screens. According to the Wiki, this action resets the vario altitude “ground level” to the next received telemetry value. I do not think it is the same as the GPS altitude, or is it?

More
19 Oct 2019 00:27 #75283 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic FRSkyX
The GPS altitude is not modified from the telemetry value received, so it's effectively ASL (Really altitude above the geodetic datum used by your GPS receiver.)

For the vario altitude sensor the first reported value after power-on (or a value from the model) sets the ground level. That value is subtracted from all subsequent altitude telemetry values, so the displayed altitude is AGL Since a baro is affected by the density altitude it can't give an absolute reading like GPS can. Setting a "ground level" is an easy way to compensate for pressure differences.

The vario altitude sensor often reports erroneous values in the first few telemetry packets, so the ground level can be off. Long press of UP on the standard telemetry page (not GPS) will reset the ground level to 0. The ground level is stored in the model file so the value doesn't have to be reset on every tx power-up during a day's flying. The ground level should be reset with a long press at the start of every day's session for each model (and more often if a front is approaching).

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds