Some help with trims setting on Devo 4

More
13 Jul 2015 03:14 #35393 by Ewen
I realise that this model is somewhat outdated and the hexacopter I have is also not so technically advanced. Even worse I find that the Walkera QR Y100 'copter is not supported by Devention so it would seem that I am behind the 8 ball to start with.
Essentially I have no idea how to set the trims on the controller with the result that my machine is virtually uncontrollable and flies in whatever direction it wants (mainly forwards and sideways.

This is my second model of the same type. I flew the first one using my tablet and WiFi and it flew upwards and out of wireless range and it was lost in a high tree. So I decided to use the controller and I am not faring much better .

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2015 05:49 - 13 Jul 2015 17:08 #35396 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Some help with trims setting on Devo 4
I don't think the DEVO 4 Tx is even supported by Deviation open source firmware, which is a completely different animal than what Walkera's Devention firmware is. As far as I know, only the 6, 7E, 8, 10, and 12 Tx's are compatible with Deviation.

Try first to calibrate the gyros, accelerometers, and compass for your model, if that does not help, perhaps you have one or more bad motors, bent prop shaft, or something else that is restricting one or more motors.

EDIT:
Didn't think of this before, but perhaps you might need to reverse a channel(s) for this particular model to get it to respond properly.

Also, does it fly properly with the smart phone, but not the DEVO 4? If it doesn't fly right with the phone either, double check prop placement on motors for wrong rotation.
If you don't have the Quick Start Manual, you can download it here >>> fpv.tv/walkera-qr-y100/

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 13 Jul 2015 17:08 by RedSleds.

More
14 Jul 2015 06:19 #35428 by Ewen
Replied by Ewen on topic Some help with trims setting on Devo 4
Thank you RedSleds for some very handy information. I wasn't aware that there were twoDevo firmware systems and trying to get information from Walkera is like trying to get blood from a stone they simply don't reply to emails.

I did manage to find out that if you keep clicking the trim button it will beep until the mid point when the beep tone changes which means one of two things either you are at the bottom of the trim range or you're at mid point. On that basis if all buttons are set to mid point I should be able to regulate the flight to some extent.

I'm not keen on trying the 'copter outdoors with the smartphone because I lost the first one somewhere up a tree but the new one does not respond well with the 'phone indoors at all. Props are all rotating correctly BUT when I came to try it this morning one motor would not turn and has in fact failed. I'm wondering whether it has been running slow or intermittently failing which would surely cause a problem. I have ordered a new one and I'll come back to give you an update. It's going to take a fortnight or so to get here..

Regards meantime.

Time to create page: 0.030 seconds