Did I brick my devo?

More
31 Oct 2012 02:58 - 31 Oct 2012 03:00 #2517 by NotFastEnuf
Did I brick my devo? was created by NotFastEnuf
OK, using the STMicrolectronics deFuse tool, I click on Internal Flash as a selected target and choose the dfu file to ugrade. I click upgrade and erases, then copies. From here I power off the transmitter but it just blinks. Is this the expected result? I assumed after that it would be recognized as a USB drive to format and add the library files. Any advice would be helpful. Pulling the battery for now.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 03:00 by NotFastEnuf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2012 03:24 #2519 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic Did I brick my devo?
After flashing the deviation dfu, u need to copy filesystem to devo as well.

Press then ENT key and power on, your Windows OS should recognize a USB drive and prompt you to format it. After formating , copy all folders and files under the filesystem folder to this USB drive. Re-poweron your devo, it should runs normally.

For detail installation of the deviation, please read the manuall

More
31 Oct 2012 03:33 #2520 by NotFastEnuf
Replied by NotFastEnuf on topic Did I brick my devo?
After installing the DFU file, I power off the transmitter and the USB screen just blinks. I power back on and the blinking stops but nothing happens. No USB drive. Did i install the DFU file wrong?

More
31 Oct 2012 03:38 #2521 by NotFastEnuf
I just tried to use the firmware from walkers site to go back to normal. No luck there either. I installed the walkera dfu file and the library file. Power off and the usb screen just blinks. Starting to freak out. I am completely lost here. I have read every set of instructions can find and none of them really make much sense to me. The walkera dfuse tool will not work on my computer so I have to use the STMicroelectronics one. Can anyone walk me through this?

More
31 Oct 2012 04:02 #2522 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Did I brick my devo?
You can't use the STMicro version. It does not have the proper checksums for your transmitter, and Walkera no longer stores the proper checksums in the DFU.

However, Deviation for the Devo8 should work ok, since we ship with the proper checksums (this is untested by me).

Please explain further what you see. I don't understand what 'just blinks' means. If you can get to the programming page, your transmitter is not bricked.

Do you just get a black screen when you reboot? does the power switch work?
Which Deviation firmware are you trying to use?

Try the experimental firmware here (it should work with the STMicro tool)
www.deviationtx.com/forum/5-news-announc...2-telemetry-update-2
Make sure you 'Upgrade' not 'Upload'

hold 'Ent' when you reboot.

More
31 Oct 2012 04:30 - 31 Oct 2012 04:31 #2525 by NotFastEnuf
OK, I have tried upgrade and upload on both the dfu and lib files. WIll this cause me a problem?

The transmitter is on the usb screen, when I turn it off - the usb screen just blinks. It will not shut down. When I turn it on - the screen lights solid again on usb.

I tried the dfu file you linked. Same result. I am stuck.

Is there anywhere I can get the old 1.4 dfuse tool from? Version 1.5 just gives me an "encountered an error" message and shuts down.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 04:31 by NotFastEnuf.

More
31 Oct 2012 04:32 - 31 Oct 2012 04:35 #2526 by vlad_vy
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 04:35 by vlad_vy.

More
31 Oct 2012 04:34 #2527 by PhracturedBlue
I uploaded my copy (1.3) to RCGroups. I dunno if it will work, since I can't find the installer.
If you get a continuous reboot to the Programming screen, it generally means the CRC in the DFU is not right. The solution is to use the Walkera version of the tool. Again, don't panic. If you can get to the programming sceen, your TX CAN be fixed.
Using 'Upload' doesn't do any damage, but it will corrupt the dfu file, so you need to re-unzip/download it.

More
31 Oct 2012 04:40 #2528 by NotFastEnuf
I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately, I get the same error message with that dfuse tool as well.
Application has enountered a problem and needs to close" Not sure where to turn from here. will try another computer tomorrow. Thanks again

More
31 Oct 2012 04:46 #2529 by PhracturedBlue
You've tried 1.3 that I posted, and 1.4 that vlad posted?
Did you get a Devo8 or Devo8S? FDR may know of a Devention version that worked with the STMicro tools (for a while they actually had the right checksums in there), I think he was successful in usingthe STMicro tool in the past. That would at least get you back to a usable Tx.

More
31 Oct 2012 05:25 - 31 Oct 2012 05:25 #2533 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Did I brick my devo?

NotFastEnuf wrote: OK, I have tried upgrade and upload on both the dfu and lib files. WIll this cause me a problem?

Yep, if you tried to "upload" it, that ruined you files.
Upload means saving from the tx to the PC, which overwrites the selected file.
So download the DFUs again, and try to "upgrade" again...
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 05:25 by FDR.

More
31 Oct 2012 11:08 - 31 Oct 2012 11:16 #2537 by NotFastEnuf
Yes I have tried all the dfuse versions now. None of them will run. I get the same error message when trying to start the program about encountered an error and needs to close. In fact even with the stmicroelectronics tool after a minute or so that it is up and running I will get this error message as well. Without an operational dfuse tool ... I am afraid I have no options. Has anyone ever encountered this problem with dfuse?

My step son has a windows 7 laptop. Am I correct to assume the 1.4 version is best to try with that? I have never used windows 7 so I am worried about any special procedures I may need to follow there.

I have also tried clean downloads many times now with the same result. Where should I start if I can get dfuse to run?
1. Download 100mw firmware from walkera.
2. Upgrade library with the lib.dfu file
3. Upgrade internal flash with devo dfu
Power off and hope it does not blink
Pray
Power on and cross fingers for something other than a usb screen.

Is this procedure correct?
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 11:16 by NotFastEnuf.

More
31 Oct 2012 11:21 #2538 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Did I brick my devo?
I would upgrade the fw first, then the lib...

More
31 Oct 2012 11:56 #2539 by NotFastEnuf
10-4. I guess all this is dependent on getting dfuse operational first. Question about this. After I install dfuse there is a box checked that starts the program after install. Should the program start even before I go through the driver install process?

More
31 Oct 2012 13:09 - 31 Oct 2012 13:09 #2541 by PhracturedBlue
I don't believe there is any driver install for the dfuse tool. I think you install it, plug in your tx, and are good to go. I hate to ask the obvious, but you said you were on winxp. Are you using 64bit or 32bit version? do you have the appropriate dfuse to go with it? for instance the one I posted is for 64bit, and certainly won't work on 32bit Windows
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 13:09 by PhracturedBlue.

More
31 Oct 2012 16:27 - 31 Oct 2012 17:07 #2544 by NotFastEnuf
I am sure I am just 32 bit xp. It is an old acer netbook. Nothing fancy. Where should I go for dfuse then. There was only one option in walkera site. Version 1.5

Also i think I need some clarification on holding enter vs holding exit to restart. What is the difference? What damage could I have done holding the wrong one? I am not sure what screen I have anymore that I am stuck in. Usb or upgrade. Is there a difference?
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 17:07 by NotFastEnuf.

More
31 Oct 2012 18:30 #2551 by PhracturedBlue
well, the installer may be the same for 32/64bit versions, But I think the executable I provided is only for 64bit). i don't have a 32bit OS to test on so I can't really say.

holding 'EXT' will enter progrmaming mode (you'll get a color screen with a bar on it, and your Tx will be detected bythe DFusE tool)
holding 'ENT' is a Deviation thing to force the tx to mount the filesystem as a USB drive. It is only valid once you get a good firmware programmed

More
31 Oct 2012 18:57 - 31 Oct 2012 18:59 #2552 by JerryT
Replied by JerryT on topic Did I brick my devo?
Hi NotFastEnuf. I've encountered the same problem with DevoDfuSe_v1.5_Setup.exe not running in Win7. I would get the error "The system cannot find the path specified." Various compatibility settings did not help. But when I moved the file to the root directory of my C drive (C:\), it installed without a problem!

Hope this helps.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 18:59 by JerryT.

More
31 Oct 2012 21:30 #2554 by Wene001

More
31 Oct 2012 23:01 #2555 by NotFastEnuf
Progress. Got dfuse 1.4 working on a win 7 laptop. Thanks vlady for the post. I was not able to get on walkera site from this laptop so I went for deviation. I upgraded the dfu and powered off. Good sign!!!. I held enter with power on and got the usb symbol. That was good. Next I waited to find a removable drive to format. Nothing. Back to the xp machine. Drive found and format successful. Now just to drop the file system in .... After trick or treat!!!!!!! Kids first! Fingers crossed!

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds