Did I brick my devo?

More
01 Nov 2012 03:58 #2556 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Did I brick my devo?
Good to hear!
As I've said before, the 1st thing to do is not to panic! I've only heard of one person actually breaking their Radio during upgrade, and that was using the linux dfu-utils (which I do not recommend). I believe they solved it by flashing and reprogramming the bootloader so it wasn't terminal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2012 11:31 #2563 by NotFastEnuf
Replied by NotFastEnuf on topic Did I brick my devo?
So close but I have hit my next issue. Copied the file system over and everything was working ok at first. This morning I was tapping around on the touch screen and I calibrated. Went ok. Then I hit test. Touch screen stopped working immediately. Maybe will do something one out of every 100 taps in some areas. Power off and battery pull did not fix.

So is this a possible bug or an indication I have a defective touch screen. Thinking I should try to upgrade the dfu file again with dfuse but have learned to ask first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for everyone's support!!!

More
01 Nov 2012 13:44 #2568 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Did I brick my devo?
At USB mode replace tx.ini and recalibrate screen.

More
01 Nov 2012 14:36 #2571 by Gall
Replied by Gall on topic Did I brick my devo?

PhracturedBlue wrote: Good to hear!
As I've said before, the 1st thing to do is not to panic! I've only heard of one person actually breaking their Radio during upgrade, and that was using the linux dfu-utils (which I do not recommend). I believe they solved it by flashing and reprogramming the bootloader so it wasn't terminal.

That was me :)
My problem looks exactly the same. The hardest thing is that I have no mative Windows machine at all. I soldered a pin header for the JTAG connector to my Devo 8 and started to experiment with its bootloader, so strictly speaking it is not unbricking. It worked, however. Then I intentionally bricked it again to better study the bootloader.

More
01 Nov 2012 15:47 - 01 Nov 2012 15:50 #2574 by NotFastEnuf

vlad_vy wrote: At USB mode replace tx.ini and recalibrate screen.

Never would have known to do that!!! Thanks!!! I will give it a try tonight. Just curious but what is the reason this is a fix for my condition?
Last edit: 01 Nov 2012 15:50 by NotFastEnuf.

More
01 Nov 2012 15:50 #2575 by PhracturedBlue
I have quite a but of knowledge about the bootloader, so depending on what tools you have available, I can tell you quite a bit about it. Alternatively, it should be easy to load the STMicro bootloader easily enough. the differences between the reference bootloader and the Walkera one are primarily related to:
a) specifying the model name
b) displaying the splash screen
c) verifying the checksum

None of which is strictly necessary.

More
01 Nov 2012 15:54 #2576 by PhracturedBlue

NotFastEnuf wrote:

vlad_vy wrote: At USB mode replace tx.ini and recalibrate screen.

Never would have known to do that!!! Thanks!!! I will give it a try tonight. Just curious but what is the reason this is a fix for my condition?

You somehow managed to corrupt your screen calibration. Note that you could also use the up/dn/left/right buttons to navigate to the calibration menu and recalibrate the screen that way. I'm not sure how you did so (a double tap could do it. Or there may be a bug in the calibration/verification code in Deviation.

The tx.ini file contains the global transmitter configuration stuff stick calibration, screen calibration, backlight settings, language, etc. The defaults are generally sufficient to get going, so replacing this file is one way to get 'back to stock'

More
01 Nov 2012 16:40 #2578 by NotFastEnuf
I used the up down buttons to get to get to the calibration screen after it froze. I did the calibration but it had no affect. I will replace the ini file tonight and report.

More
01 Nov 2012 16:51 #2580 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Did I brick my devo?
something similar happened to my devo8 ..i noticed that when i was trying to adjust the subtrim that i had to touch the screen about a half inch below the arrow on the screen...so i thought i would calabrate it but then it got much worse to the point that the touch screen was WAY off and i was tapping all over the place trying to find where to tap to get things to work...i managed to use the buttons to get to the calabration screen..calabrated it again and its fine as far as i can tell...

More
01 Nov 2012 17:06 - 01 Nov 2012 17:08 #2581 by NotFastEnuf
Strange that calibration does not help me at all. The ini file must be corrupt. At least I can start fresh now and re do the whole thing. Lol as long as I can get to my step sons computer. I just got it for him and he had not stopped downloading. I guess if we switch users it messes up his stream. Lol
Last edit: 01 Nov 2012 17:08 by NotFastEnuf.

More
01 Nov 2012 17:46 #2585 by PhracturedBlue
If you haven't overwritten it yet, then make a copy of the tx.ini that is on your Tx and upload it here. It may help me figure out what is wrong since that sounds like a bug.
You said you could work with the filesystem on your Xp machine, so except for trying new firmware (via DFuSE), you shouldn't need the Win7 machine to manage files via USB.

More
01 Nov 2012 20:24 #2589 by NotFastEnuf
Will do. Will post it later tonight. Kids have a volleyball game now that I'm off too.

More
01 Nov 2012 20:42 - 01 Nov 2012 20:50 #2590 by NotFastEnuf
Stopped by the house. That worked. Up and running. Here is the bad file. Now off to volleyball. Thanks again to everyone!!!! You guys are the best! am so excited to finally be in with the deviation!
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Nov 2012 20:50 by NotFastEnuf.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds