Deviation 4.0.0

More
01 Jan 2014 02:51 #17607 by StikLover2
Deviation 4.0.0 was created by StikLover2
PhracturedBlue says he has just now released Deviation 4.0.0 for us, but I do not see it on the download page. What happened? I saw it at first, but now it's gone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2014 03:12 - 01 Jan 2014 03:21 #17608 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Deviation 4.0.0
I have no idea what happened. Maybe I accidentally deleted them while updating some stuff?
I've reinstalled them. Hopefully they won't disappear again.

Edit: When I reinstalled the files, they came in with global edit permissions. I don't know why, but it is possible someone else either accidently or purposefully deleted the files the 1st time. I've resolved that issue now.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2014 03:21 by PhracturedBlue.

More
01 Jan 2014 03:45 #17609 by StikLover2
Replied by StikLover2 on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Thank you PhracturedBlue!It's definitely a happy new year for me! By the way, i think i might've accidentally deleted the file what you were talking about earlier.. I was trying to download it and thought the big red x button was something else.. Whoops! But thanks for reposting it and have a happy new year!

More
01 Jan 2014 04:31 #17610 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Congrats guys.

4.0. Big release.

Happy New Years!!!

More
01 Jan 2014 05:47 #17613 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Happy New Year and Happy Deviation 4.0.0 Release :cheer:

Let's have fun together.

More
01 Jan 2014 08:39 #17618 by Pattaya01
Replied by Pattaya01 on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Thanks. Happy New Year.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
01 Jan 2014 09:16 #17620 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Happy new 4.0.0.
And a happy new year too.

More
01 Jan 2014 09:26 #17622 by southtirol32
Replied by southtirol32 on topic Deviation 4.0.0
happy new year!!

i have try to patch deviation 4.0.0 (deviation building station) whit the 2 way patch for devo7e 7e_buts.patch.txt whit errors result..., its possible that not support 4.0.0 ?!,
you can help me?!

very nice job, the build is great!!

More
01 Jan 2014 09:41 #17623 by henkerhaus
Replied by henkerhaus on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Downloaded and installed v4.0.0 (for Devo8s). Very nice. Thanks for everyone's hard work.

Printed out and reviewed the new Devo 6/8/12 manual. Much improved (and a lot more detail)
Did a directory by directory, file by file comparison.

My review raised some comments and questions...

1) I like that the file system is no longer a separate download, and I especially like how the emulator contains the filesystem in a separate folder, beside the emulator executable and .dll file. Nice and tidy, well organized download. I also like that it can be used exactly as downloaded, with no additional rearrangement required.

Was there a reason why the .dfu download wasn't similarily organized? i.e.

filesystem/devo8/
language/
layout/
media/
modelico/
models/
template/
datalog.bin
errors
tx.ini
debug-devo8-v4.0.0.zip
deviation-devo8-v4.0.0.dfu

(Time constraint?) Is there a plan to do so in the future? I think it would help eliminate confusion as to which files need to be copied to the transmitter. (The last paragraph and image on Page 8 of the manual is a little contradictory / confusing... it firsts states to copy ALL file and directories..., but then later states NOT to copy the .zip and .dfu files. The image indicates that the media folder is for the Devo6/8 only ... Wouldn't the 12 use it too?

Could the Deviation firmware be re-written (at some point) to use the filesystem hierarchy as now downloaded with the emulator (and indicated above), to simplify installation, or does the hardware require the current flat system?

2) layout/empty.ini

I noticed that the layout/empty.ini file has a line added at the end... [gui-128x64]
Does the ORDER of the lines in the file matter? I'm guessing not, but even so, it probably would look better organized if the file was sorted by screen size. i.e.

template=Empty
[gui-480x272]
[gui-320x240]
[gui-128x64]

3) layout/default.ini

I noticed that the layout/default.ini file in the filesystem has the [gui-480x272] section deleted. I was curious why it's in the empty.ini file, but removed from default.ini? Should it still be in there, even if not used by devo8/6? (Intentional or oversight?) Question is, should the default copy in the filesystem download contain all sizes? If so, again, even if order of file content in not important to the hardware / firmware. Good file organization makes it easier for a human to read and understand. When a change is made on the transmitter, is the order / organization of the file changed when written by the hardware / firmware?

4) models/default.ini

I noticed that the models folder no longer has a file named default.ini, but the manual implies that it should (page 9). Is this no longer needed / used, or just missed?

5) tx.ini

My tx.ini file contains several extra options that aren't shown in the default copy in the filesystem download. Configuration for most of these options are addressed in the manual, but the file language syntax isn't discussed. Should a future release of the manual contain a comprehensive file language syntax reference? (Does one already exist, but just not included in the manual?)

language=0
music_shutdown=1
brightness=5
contrast=5
volume=10
vibration=0
power_alarm=1
batt_alarm=4000
batt_critical=3900
batt_warning_interval=30
splash_delay=50
[autodimmer]
timer=20000
dimvalue=1
[countdowntimersettings]
prealerttime=30000
prealertinterval=10000
timeupinterval=10000
[telemetry]
temp=farenheit
length=feet

Also, the optional modules listed in the default filesystem download appear to show them as ALL enabled. I would guess that most users would not need them ALL enabled (or likely might not need any to be enabled). I have not reviewed the "ModuleInstallation.pdf file yet (I don't personally have a need to), but I was wondering if these should disabled in the default filesystem download. The user manual doesn't address the syntax needed to disable them by editing the files in a text editor. (I'm just using my previous files for now, and had no issues)

In the last v3.0.0 nightly build (2013-12-31, and all previous releases), I always got a warning screen upon power up... First for low battery, and then again for binding (my default model was a 200SD3 using devo protocol, which I assume is set to always auto-bind on start-up). In comparing the new tx.ini file to my existing file, I discovered that I had a parameter named "batt_critical=####" (also not in the new file) set to a voltage greater than the battery alarm voltage, and greater than the actual battery pack voltage possible (4 x 2700 mAH AA NiMH at 1.4V each=5.6V). Resetting this to be slightly less (3900) than the "batt_alarm=4000" finally got rid of the low voltage warning, and since my default model recently has been the Blade Nano QX (Christmas Present), which doesn't auto bind, I actually get to see the Splash screen upon startup, instead of all the warning screens.

Would it be possible to change the code to always display the Splash screen FIRST, regardless of warnings, (for the duration specified by the user in the tx.ini file), and then display the warnings if needed? The user would still be warned of any issues, and wouldn't be able to use the radio until dismissing them, but would actually get to see the splash screen like on a normal startup.

More
01 Jan 2014 10:49 - 01 Jan 2014 10:55 #17625 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Deviation 4.0.0
4) models/default.ini

I see it at all filesystems.

[modules]
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
; has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
; enable-a7105 = A13
; has_pa-a7105 = 1
; enable-cc2500 = A14
; has_pa-cc2500 = 1
; enable-nrf24l01 = A14
; has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1

All modules are disabled by default (cyrf6936 will be enabled automatically). You need remove ';' to enable module, before copy tx.ini to Tx.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2014 10:55 by vlad_vy.

More
01 Jan 2014 14:54 #17635 by PhracturedBlue

henkerhaus wrote:
Was there a reason why the .dfu download wasn't similarily organized? i.e.

Th main reason is that I was afraid of people copying the directory to their Tx and wondering why it doesn't work. with the files in the root dir, it is much less likely that will happen.

I noticed that the layout/empty.ini file has a line added at the end... [gui-128x64]

nope, it doesn't matter. sections can be split up and they'll work just fine. But you are right we should tidy it up.

I noticed that the layout/default.ini file in the filesystem has the [gui-480x272] section deleted.

This is on purpose. by not having a gui-480x272, the 320x240 one will be used, and it will be centered on the screen properly. Previoulsy I'd had a 480x272 section, but it was identical to the 320x240 one, and thus was stuck at the left hand side. Having an empty section probably wouldn't hurt anything. My guess is we'll eventually get a proper devo12 default screen though.

I noticed that the models folder no longer has a file named default.ini, but the manual implies that it should (page 9). Is this no longer needed / used, or just missed?

I see it in all of the zip files I uploaded. definitely needs to be there otherwise 'Reset' won't work.

Would it be possible to change the code to always display the Splash screen FIRST, regardless of warnings, (for the duration specified by the user in the tx.ini file), and then display the warnings if needed?

I understand your point, but I don't really want to do that. The warnings indicate that binding can't proceed. I assume most users want their model to start binding as quickly as possible and don't want to wait through the splash to find out that they screwed something up and need to fix it.

More
01 Jan 2014 17:44 #17652 by Essen1
Replied by Essen1 on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Happy New Year everybody!

And thanks for all the hard work you guys put into Deviation 4.0.0...:)

More
01 Jan 2014 19:01 - 01 Jan 2014 19:04 #17665 by henkerhaus

henkerhaus wrote: Would it be possible to change the code to always display the Splash screen FIRST, regardless of warnings, (for the duration specified by the user in the tx.ini file), and then display the warnings if needed?

PhracturedBlue wrote: I understand your point, but I don't really want to do that. The warnings indicate that binding can't proceed. I assume most users want their model to start binding as quickly as possible and don't want to wait through the splash to find out that they screwed something up and need to fix it.

If the splash was first, could users who don't want to see it just set "splash_delay=0"? (or, I'd be happy for a parameter to control the order. Just a thought)
Last edit: 01 Jan 2014 19:04 by henkerhaus. Reason: Message didn't display as expected

More
01 Jan 2014 20:05 #17672 by henkerhaus

vlad_vy wrote: 4) models/default.ini

I see it at all filesystems.

[modules]
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
; has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
; enable-a7105 = A13
; has_pa-a7105 = 1
; enable-cc2500 = A14
; has_pa-cc2500 = 1
; enable-nrf24l01 = A14
; has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1

All modules are disabled by default (cyrf6936 will be enabled automatically). You need remove ';' to enable module, before copy tx.ini to Tx.

OK. My misunderstanding.
I didn't notice/recognize the semicolon as being a comment character here.

i guessed that "has_pa-xxxx=1" meant that the module was installed, and "has_pa-xxxx=0" would mean not installed, so as shown above, it would mean that they are all installed.

I also guessed that if the "enable-xxxx=something", that this indicated that it was activated.

In my tx.ini file, the only "enable" parameter defined is the cyrf6936. (see below) i have no idea what the B12 (or A13, A14 in the default file download) means.
As I indicated earlier, a language syntax reference would be really helpful.

[modules]
enable-cyrf6936=B12
has_pa-cyrf6936=1
enable-a7105=None
has_pa-a7105=0
enable-cc2500=None
has_pa-cc2500=0
enable-nrf24l01=None
has_pa-nrf24l01=0

More
01 Jan 2014 20:11 - 01 Jan 2014 20:12 #17675 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Deviation 4.0.0
enable-xxxxxx=??? means that the module is installed and can be accessed, the B12 A13 and A14 are select lines for the maximum 3 installable modules depending on which leads are soldered.

has_pa-xxxxxx=? indicated whether or not the module has an on-board power amplifier circuit. Most do but a few do not. 0 means no PA, 1 means it has a PA.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2014 20:12 by WheresWaldo.

More
01 Jan 2014 20:12 #17676 by PhracturedBlue
These are documented in the module install manual. I don't think there is any need for more than that. The only time someone needs to worry about them are when installing a module.
As far as full documentation of all the ini files, that would be great, but tedious and time consuming with a very small audience.

More
01 Jan 2014 23:52 - 01 Jan 2014 23:54 #17692 by Fyathyrio
Replied by Fyathyrio on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Thanks for all the hard work on Deviation, I really love my Devo 7E and the ability to fly all my toys with one tx.

I just installed v4.0, install went smooth, and I copied over my backed up tx.ini and model.ini files properly. Then I did the calibration again just to ensure all was well. Checked operation and it binds and controls just fine...so far so good.

After first test flight, I went through the tx config menu just to verify all was to my liking, and noticed the battery alarm level had changed to 6.00v. I use a 2S lipo, so I had it previously set to 7.40v. When I attempted to change back to the higher voltage, it would not allow me to go above 6.00v, but does allow reducing alarm setpoint to 3.30v. I opened tx.ini using notepad++ and changed the value from 6000 to 7400 to try and force the alarm to desired setpoint...no joy. Upon powering on tx, alarm setpoint had reverted to 3.30v, but did allow me to return it to a max of 6.00v.

This seems more like a minor issue as everything else appears to be working correctly, so I have not submitted a bug report.

Oh, and Happy New Year to all! :)
Last edit: 01 Jan 2014 23:54 by Fyathyrio.

More
02 Jan 2014 01:38 #17697 by PhracturedBlue
there isn't really any reason to have the limit at 6. I just didn't think about someone would using a 2S battery with the devo7e. I'm not sure if it is safe to use such a battery. Some devo radios are really sensitive to over voltage due to the crappy voltage regulator. But if it works for you, that's cool. I'll put the max limit up to 8V

More
02 Jan 2014 02:10 #17698 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic Deviation 4.0.0
I use a 2s LiFe 1500mAh battery myself.

More
02 Jan 2014 02:19 #17701 by yidc
Replied by yidc on topic Deviation 4.0.0
Fyathyrio,

Do you find any advantage of switching to 2S lipo in devo7e? e.g. range increase or anything else? just curious :whistle:

Otherwise it might not be wise to do so, as devo7e is originally designed to use w/ input voltage around 6V or sth.

I'm considering switching to LiFePO4 battery recently, it can give a stable performance of 6.6V :P

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds