DEVO 12E

More
19 Jan 2017 01:30 #58153 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic DEVO 12E
I added the 4-in-1 to my 12e and this thing rocks! For reference i snapped some photos.

The processor board for the Devo 12e is nearly the same as the Devo 10.

Unscrew the two screws on the top of the transmitter module and carefully remove the antenna connector... slowly work it straight up off the board and it should snap. Then gently pull up on the lower part of the board near the 10-pin connector. After I removed the transmitter module I found the solder pads in exactly the same place as the Devo 10.

I make occasional changes to my transmitters, so I installed a 3-pin 2.54mm right-angle header into the 4-in-1 module. This fits nicely on the side that will be installed toward the Devo board to keep the cables nice and tidy. You could certainly solder the connector wires directly if desired. The antenna will snap into the new board pretty easily if you line up the center pin.

And the finished installation looks like this, ready to go! I kinda miss the "Antenna farm" look of my other Devos. Not!

I turned it on briefly for the smoke test (it passed!), then closed the shell. Lastly I updated the Hardware.ini file to read:
 enable-a7105    = A14
 has_pa-a7105    = 1
 enable-cc2500   = A13
 has_pa-cc2500   = 1
 enable-nrf24l01 = B7
 has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1

Happy Flying!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2017 20:40 #58301 by railside270
Replied by railside270 on topic DEVO 12E
Nice job! The 3 pin header is a great idea. Would it also work if the header was soldered on the top side of the pcb instead of under? Or would that cause an issue with closing the case?

More
23 Jan 2017 01:02 #58309 by Deal57

railside270 wrote: Nice job! The 3 pin header is a great idea. Would it also work if the header was soldered on the top side of the pcb instead of under? Or would that cause an issue with closing the case?

I think there would be no problem putting it on the top; I just think it's a bit cleaner this way. I didn't really do any exact measurements. Before I soldered, I observed that the top of the right-angle header was just under the top of the RF shield. The standard 3-pin servo header will fit. I just liked the idea of keeping all the cables up close to the board. In retrospect I think I could have rotated the header 180 degrees to hide it completely and shorten the cables. Maybe I'll try that when I do it to my 6s.

More
23 Feb 2017 12:00 #59517 by MikefromGermany
Replied by MikefromGermany on topic DEVO 12E
Deal57,
Thanks for the instructions. I followed your suggestions and reversed the 90° header.
Pictures added for reference.
10 Minutes job :woohoo: .

-mike-
Attachments:

More
23 Feb 2017 13:01 #59519 by Deal57
Yeah, I like that!

More
23 Feb 2017 15:54 #59529 by flarkopter
Replied by flarkopter on topic DEVO 12E
Thanks to you guys I got me a devo 12e from UCDrone too. Just received it, installed the BG 4-in-1 module (piece of cake compared to the 3-in-1-job on my devo 7e) and it works flawlessly!
Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2017 15:04 #60282 by compman2
Replied by compman2 on topic DEVO 12E
I looked at the board on my 12E and there are four connectors that aren't used. They are labeled Aux4,Aux5, Aux5, Aux5. I am wondering if these are activated in Deviation or are available for another use. I just thought this might be a way to setup a six position switch to use with flight modes in cleanflight or inav. Get a six position switch and wire it up with some resistors so that each position delivered a distinct range of resistence. That would be a great add to this awesome radio and it looks like they are already assigned to pins on the mcu.

computer nerd, hobby collector, proud father

More
17 Mar 2017 15:22 #60284 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic DEVO 12E
No, they are not enabled in deviation. On the other hand, we have the source so they can be enabled. This is how the 6S got extra switch support - someone noticed unused connections on the PCB.

The next step is to figure out what pins on the CPU those are connected to. From there, we can figure out what, if anything, we can add. Aux connectors are usually analog inputs, so I'd expect that you could add knobs or sliders. But they could probably also be used for switches, and that might be easier as we already have code for extra switches.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
17 Mar 2017 16:08 #60285 by Deal57

compman2 wrote: I looked at the board on my 12E and there are four connectors that aren't used. They are labeled Aux4,Aux5, Aux5, Aux5. I am wondering if these are activated in Deviation or are available for another use. I just thought this might be a way to setup a six position switch to use with flight modes in cleanflight or inav. Get a six position switch and wire it up with some resistors so that each position delivered a distinct range of resistence. That would be a great add to this awesome radio and it looks like they are already assigned to pins on the mcu.

I'm not sure what you mean...did you mean Aux 4, Aux 5, Aux 6 and Aux 7? Because those connectors attach to potentiometers on the back half of the shell. So they are already in use, and work very well. I unplug the potentiometers (in the above photos) when I work on the internal boards because the boards are attached to the front half of the shell.

The idea of using a six-position switch is interesting, and there is a switch that pretty much meets that description (I think it's sold for Frsky transmitters). I used one in my external switch box. The idea of a six-position switch is great, but to my experience it was easy to move it too far and briefly switch to an unintended mode. I changed to a panel of six tactile switches instead (again, basically just change the resistor on the circuit) and that worked very nicely for my APM bird.

More
17 Mar 2017 17:05 #60288 by compman2
Replied by compman2 on topic DEVO 12E
My bad. I was just looking photos of the board when I had it apart for the 4 in 1 mod. I forgot that the pots plugged into those connectors. I thought there were open connectors that might be used for another purpose. I guess one pot could be replaced with a six position switch.

computer nerd, hobby collector, proud father

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds